X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • normanpitkin
    Apprentice
    • Apr 23 2022

Radio confusion

i have recently had an original radio altered inside to be fm/bluetooth HOWEVER when i removed the panel underneath with 4 screws I discovered the uncut dash panel! How and where do i cut it out so i can remove the original radio and replace with my refurbished one!
  • cuul59
    Apprentice
    • Jun 13 2005

To be sure I understand, someone replaced the dash panel but did not cut the opening. In this case, as long as your cut doesn’t extend beyond the metal cover footprint, then all is well. I just reinstalled my radio and other than the wiring for the console light, there’s plenty of room to cut. If you are unsure, just cut a hole large enough to reach in and around so you can confirm where the edges are before extending your opening. Good luck.
    Neil
    1959 Turquoise Convertible “CUUL59”

Comment

• normanpitkin
      Apprentice
      • Apr 23 2022

yes you're right ,i just wasn't sure if the opening had anything that needs to be out of the way ,im hoping a new exact-o type knife will cut through the dash pad material!

Comment

• normanpitkin
        Apprentice
        • Apr 23 2022

All done and refurb radio fitted and working perfectly!!

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

I just LOVE it when things like this come together with other Forum members who have been down that path that another member of the Forum is on and shares their experiences with them! Way to go, Guys!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• cuul59
            Apprentice
            • Jun 13 2005

Always paying it forward Ray! BTW, updated EM as discussed and so far nada.
            Neil
            1959 Turquoise Convertible “CUUL59”

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Okay, when you can then lets try Plan B or whatever letter we are on! Lol.. As we last discussed.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Gentlemen that is why I always say that our squarebirds.org is the best TBird site on the planet
                Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                Thunderbird Registry
                58HT #33317
                60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• byersmtrco
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Sep 28 2004

Speaking of radios. I've had one of those Classic Car Tunes radios (I think that's
                  the name of it) for years.
                  I've never installed the thing. Mounting speakers is the problem. I bought kick
                  panels and rear arm rests in red to match mine. I think it's solid behind the kick
                  panels. I've just never messed with it. I've been tuneless in that thing for years.
                  It's loud inside. Between the blown out glass packs (that I love) and all the wind
                  noise (top up or down), it's like being in a P-51. Any ideas on speaker mounting,
                  amps, etc. I think I'm on the right track with the rear speakers. I have some red
                  interior paint that I used on the ctr console etc, so I could paint any speaker grilles.
                  I also have an extra radio bezel. I was going to modif (cut) that to fit the radio
                  rather than use the little plate that comes with the new radio

Comment

• bygrace
                    Experienced
                    • Jul 27 2015

Put your extra radio bezel on a hinge and you can any kind of radio you want back there. IMG_20190823_172034833.jpg IMG_20190823_172608026.jpg

Comment

• abovethegarage
                      • Sep 9 2022

Here is my blog post about the "Marine Gauge Receiver" that I put in the clock hole in my 58 Thunderbird:
                      I had been toying with the idea of just using a portable bluetooth speaker exclusively in the ‘Bird. I already had a Bose speaker that I tried for a few weeks, but it just did not cut it with…

20220911_220238.jpg?w=1632.jpg
                      Attached Files
                      Mike Peterson
                      O'Neill, Nebraska
                      Thunderbird Registry Number 86832

Comment

• p38fighter
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Oct 14 2016

Bygrace - that flip front is very trick!!!

Comment

• YellowRose
                          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

I have just added Mike's link to his Blog showing the Kicker KMC2 Media Bluetooth Receiver replacing his Squarebird Clock to the TRL. You will find it under Dash, Clock Conversion & Repair. It should work on all three years of Squarebirds. Mike thank you for posting that link and permission to use it! I have found that Amazon still has 11 of the KMC2 units available and 4 of the 46KMC2 units. Mike tells me that they both do the same thing. Kicker no longer has any KMC2 units available. IF the Bulletbird clock is the same 3" width, I would think you could use this in them also, but not in the Flairbirds.

Comment

• JMO64
                            Apprentice
                            • Jan 8 2022

Originally posted by bygrace
                            Put your extra radio bezel on a hinge and you can any kind of radio you want back there. IMG_20190823_172034833.jpg IMG_20190823_172608026.jpg
                            Bygrace - that is seriously slick! Very, very cool! Love it!

Comment

• YellowRose
                              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Jeff, I agree! what a slick way to hide a modern system and make it look original. I think I called Mike and left him a message. I would like him to detail in a Tech article, with those pix as to how he did that and put it in the TRL. Just as I just did with Mike ~ abovethegarage and his Kicker idea! That way, it will always be there for people to see and put to use instead of being lost in the shuffle of ever increasing posts and threads.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎