1959 engine block color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1959 engine block color

Hello. I've been researching the colors used on the 1959 model engines. Thunderbird Ranch (thanks for the link, John) lists black as the color for block, heads, intake, front cover, oil pan, water pump. My 1959 has blue block and heads. I am going to look for the casting codes to confirm engine date, but I wonder if anyone knows if any 1959 models shipped out with blue engine block?

I also noticed that the 1959 convertible on this web site has a blue engine block, so am even more curious...could have been repainted, but it seems it would have been odd to elect to use blue if it had originally been black. https://www.oldcarsweekly.com/featur...rd-thunderbird

Comment

It is my understanding that the OEM engine block color was always black from the factory and no other color... If you happen to own the VTCI Official Factory Specifications, (OFS) as I still do, though I no longer own a Tbird, you should find that information in there. Anyone owning a 1955-1966 Tbird should have the VTCI OFS for you year of Tbird. However, you need to be a member of VTCI to purchase one. I have been one for a good number of years now, and thoroughly enjoy their fantastic Scoop Magazine, put out 4 times a year. There are great technical articles in it that so many people never get to see, if they are not a VTCI member.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

'59 blocks were always black. '58 blocks were blue. The car in the picture is painted wrong. Not only is the engine block the wrong color but the air cleaner is black and should be white. They also painted over the heater box and all the wires when they painted the engine compartment. That's about as sloppy as it gets. If you were going to feature a '59 Thunderbird you couldn't have picked a worse example.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

you could also check the engine assembly date located next to oil dipstick... here.....Eng_date_code.JPG

Comment

Were 430's all the same colors?
            59-430-HT

Comment

-Yesss, See John Draxler of Thunderbird Ranch for his breakdown of colors for various components of your Tbird.

https://www.tbirdranch.com/ Concours Specs - 1958-1960

----------ITEM DESCRIPTION--------------------1958--------------------1959---------------1960
              Block, heads, intake, front cover, oil pan,
              water pump-------------------------------------------Light Ford Blue------Black---------------Black
              -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Valve Covers---352-------------------------------- Black-------------------Light Ford Blue--Yellow
              --------------------430---------------------------------Black-------------------Black----------------Black
              (optional chrome)

There was a report back in 1957/1958 of one of the Car & Road Magazines having done a road test on a 1958 Squarebird with the 430 Engine in it. Yeas ago, I read the article. But Ford did not market the 1958 Squarebird with the 430MEL engine in it. Lincolns and Tbirds back then were both built on the same Wixom line. Ford was building Lincolns in 1958-1966 on that line with the 430MEL engine in them. Apparently, someone in the Ford management line had a 430MEL engine off the line plunked into a '58 Squarebird and sent it out for road testing. When they got the testing results back, someone made the decision to not install the 430MEL into the 1958 production line. Perhaps because the 1958 production run had already been delayed for several months, so they finished off the 1957 Babybird production run longer. (From Automotive Mile Posts: 1957 Tbird Production: September 17, 1956-December 13, 1957 (1957 production held over due to delays in the introduction of the new 1958 models). Normally, production started in the September/October time frame, but in 1958 it did not start until December 20th, 1957! So that might have been a factor in delaying the 430MEL installation and modification of the complete 1958 Tbird line to accept the 430MEL engine as an optional engine. Automotive Mile Posts says this about that engine. You can see, according to this, even in 1959 they were still having delays in getting that 430MEL into the 1959 Tbird's, but they did some of them. 430 Cubic Inch Thunderbird Special V-8 (350 Horsepower) ($177) (Limited availability due to delays on the assembly line) New '59 option.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

Exhaust system duals duals
                430 has resonators
                duals
                430 has resonators

Interesting on exhaust. Anyone have a pic of stock 430 exh and resonators?
                59-430-HT

Comment

Working...
                X