Bumper re-plating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bumper re-plating

I am having a hard time finding a re-plating shop for the bumpers on my 60. I have one quote for $3500 subject to their inspection.
    Who have you used and how much did it cost? I am in Arizona near Las Vegas.
    Bill Gildersleeve
    58 hard top & 60 convertible

I've used Tri-City in Elizabethton, TN. They do excellent work and I've never had a problem.. ( 800-251-7536) I have an old price sheet and it was 1770. for the Squarebird set. some 10 yrs ago. I'm sure it is more by now and don't forget to add shipping to and fro.

Comment

Thanks, I sent them an email.
      Bill
      Bill Gildersleeve

Comment

Hey Bill. I recently had both my bumpers rechromed, and went through the same process you are currently in. I finally got a name from my painter and I am completely happy with the results and cost. Now, I’m in AZ too. But it’s a big state. I’m south of PHX and the guy works out of Nogales. So you’re 400+ miles away. He does pick up and deliver stuff a couple times a week to Tucson and Phoenix. Let me know if you think this’ll work. I’ll ask him if he wants me to give you his number.
        SquareBird in BirdCity

Comment

Sounds good to me. Phoenix is a 4 hour drive, but I am retired.
          Bill Gildersleeve

Comment

'Price' has a lot to do with the amount of work involved and the type of chrome plating. Mainly, you get what you pay for. OEM chrome was hexavalent chromium, that bright 'creamy-looking' chrome. More modern (and more eco-friendly) chrome is called, 'trivalent chrome' which looks a tinge blue and is far cheaper.

Are you looking for a 3-plate hexavalent chromium process (copper, nickel, chrome) or an OEM job (nickel & chrome)? The 3-plate process is commonly called, 'show chrome'. Factory (two-plate on steel) plating paid little attention to the parts you don't see like, the flat portions facing the ground.

Preparation for each plate in the process involves polishing which requires much more work than the plating process. The Polishing Room is usually much larger and it requires more employees than the Plating Room.

Some states require more stringent neutralizing of chemicals that are washed off, like potassium cyanide. Californians send their plating to Mexico.

So your question doesn't address exactly what you're looking for. Warranty is another major consideration. Some plating shops warranty their job for 'life' while others do not. - Dave
            My latest project:
            CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
            X