Horn won't work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horn won't work

Ok...need you guys to help with my edu-m-cation.....1959 T-Bird horn doesn't work:

1 - I tested horns with hot wire from battery and they both work
    2 - Tested wire from steering column hub to male plug under dash and got continuity
    3 - Tested wire from female plug under dash to three way plug at relay and got continuity
    4 - Tested yellow wire at three way plug at relay and got 12 volts

Grounded spring loaded button in column head to steering shaft...got nothing...

Bad Relay? How do I test relay and I don't understand how the button is grounded at wheel....it it the spring loaded action of the horn ring and the spring is just to keep pressure under the ring?

Inquiring minds want to know

To test the relay you will need a 12V source and a test light or voltmeter. There are three prongs on the relay The left prong is ground (sometimes labeled S or #1 blue-yellow wire from the steering column), the center is battery (sometimes labeled B or #3 - yellow wire from voltage regulator) and the right goes to the horns (sometimes labeled H or #5). You will need to put 12V on the center terminal and ground the left prong. You should hear the relay click. Put your test light or voltmeter on the right prong and you should get 12V. If you don't then the relay is bad. For a detailed description of the how the horn button and horn ring work check out this link in the Technical Resource Library.
    https://squarebirds.org//images_steering_wheel/

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

The horn relay is one of those rare electrical components that is isolated from ground. It has three connections as John described; one is hot at all times, one connects to the horns and the other connects to the carbon brush at the horn ring. This relay is nothing special except the contacts are heavy duty. It can be replaced with a modern 40-amp relay by connecting the +12 wire to one coil wire and one contact wire.

Since one coil wire is already connected to +12, a simple ground wire will energize the coil (and blow the horn).
      Be careful here because the yellow wire is NOT fused. It comes from the voltage regulator and directly to the battery.
      The blue-yellow wire completes the coil circuit by grounding through the steering column via the horn ring. The horn ring is isolated from ground but it pushes against a spring that holds the switch open.

A common problem in non-working horns is when the steering column comes loose from its mounting and it slides down toward the firewall. This separates the carbon brush from the steering wheel, then the horn never works even though the wiring is good. To remedy this problem, loosen the two Philips screws at the dash (just above your knees) and pull the column toward your chest. Be careful not to turn the column because the neutral switch depends on the column being oriented correctly. If the column is 'turned' your key won't start the car in P or N. - Dave
      My latest project:
      CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Thanks....I'll test the relay tomorrow.....I put a new one on but nothing happened. I can see the springed button depress slightly when I put the steering wheel on so I feel sure I'm making contact. Also....I should be able to toot the horn by contacting the springed button and the steering shaft...correct? did it and nothing.....

Comment

Originally posted by Rangepony69 View Post
          ...Also....I should be able to toot the horn by contacting the springed button and the steering shaft...correct? did it and nothing.....
          Originally posted by simplyconnected View Post
          ...The blue-yellow wire completes the coil circuit by grounding through the steering column via the horn ring...
          Connect a long wire to your battery NEG post. If you touch it anywhere along the blue-yellow wire that will complete the path to energize the relay (and the horn will sound). Start at the relay and work toward the horn ring. - Dave

My latest project:
          CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

If you ground the springed button under the steering wheel and the horn works, then you have a bad connection between the contact plate under the steering wheel and the button. It's a bit tricky and if your steering column is not pulled all the way up against the steering wheel it won't contact when you put the horn on the steering wheel. Easier to do with 2 persons, one pulling the column and the other one tightening the screws under the dashboard.

Comment

You got's horns....I got's horn....All God's Chill'ins got horns! Ha! You never know what you don't know until you find out.

Tested old relay and it was bad.....took off new relay and it tested good.....so......decided to pull the threeway plug halfway down and ground the ground terminal.....nothing...not even a click. So I took it off and inspected the assembly. The inside rummer on the power plug was worn and the blade was missing the female portion. Melted some wire cover, did some custom bending of the relay terminals.....and....

You got's horns....I got's horn....All God's Chill'ins got horns!

Many thanks for all of your help.....it really helps to talk this stuff out.

Comment

You sound very horny!!
                Bill Gildersleeve
                58 hard top & 60 convertible

Comment

I give a toot!

Comment

Working...
                  X