water in trunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water in trunk

This has me perplexed. I'm getting water in the trunk and I can't figure out where it's coming from. The lid is dry underneath and the channels are dry. The only thing I can think of is the seal on the lock is bad. I'm to the point of getting in, closing the lid and have my wife hose the whole thing down. I just hope she lets me out

Don't forget the back window weatherstripping. Water can come in from there.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Hey John,
      I checked around there and it seemed dry. That's what so frustrating. The water seems to pool in the center. The sides and lid inside show no signs of being wet. I really don't want to get in the trunk, but I fear that's the only way.
      Larry

Comment

I would put paper towels in various places in the trunk, close the lid and shoot water over it. The wettest paper towel should give you some idea where it's coming in at.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

John beat me to commenting on the paper towel technique. We have too many vehicles in my family (not all nice either) so even with three garages vehicles sit out in winter. I didn't give water leakage much thought on one of my father's squarebirds a few winters ago. I ruined some trunk interior pieces. (Learned the hard way)
          Jim Kowal
          Thunderbird Registry #82613

Comment

I worked at a dealership for years, and had another mechanic lock me in the trunk with a flashlight to check for leaks. It might not be fun, but it is a sure fire way to see where the water is coming from, and then you can determine the fix. Good Luck.. Hope you are on good terms with your wife. LOL.
            Nyles

Comment

When I was trying to find a hairline crack in an aluminum transmission case in the past, I used flour (baking) thrown everywheres. The red fluid showed well against the dry white powder. Perhaps if you narrow down the leak area, you could put some flour or baby powder in the area of the seal/etc, on the inside of the seal. Give a quick rinse and look for dampness. Bonus is flour/powder is harmless and will clean easy, and it's 100% obvious when even a few drops of water get on it.
              Jim Kowal
              Thunderbird Registry #82613

Comment

Do you have water in the trunk when the car is sitting out or driving. If driving, it may come form underneath the car!?

Comment

The car is sitting

Comment

Well... I got in the trunk (my wife actually let me out again) and had her hose down the lid and rear window seals. Water came gushing in both sides of the lid about half way back. Didn't figure on that! So I guess I need a new trunk seal

Comment

Larry, you may be fortunate that your wife let you out of the trunk! Lol.. Now you know where the leaking is. That should be a simple fix, ordering a new trunk seal and replacing it. Then, when you do, you can do the trunk trick again, and hope it works and that she will let you out of the trunk again! lol.. Any one of the Tbird parts houses should have that new seal...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178
                      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

Been following your dilemma. Consider yourself lucky. WAY better than a window seal.
                        Altho, I have cheated and put a little silicone under and squeaked by.

Comment

Just an update......I also found that the seal on the trunk lock was missing. I made a new one and replaced the lid seal....no leaks!

Comment

Working...
                          X