No announcement yet.

Kel's '59 restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that's a 390 truck motor you have. The good news is that I believe those heads have hardened valve seats so you can use unleaded gas.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Originally posted by jopizz View Post
      I think that's a 390 truck motor you have. The good news is that I believe those heads have hardened valve seats so you can use unleaded gas.

John
      Thanks again John....very much appreciated, Kel

Comment

Sometimes I have 2nd thoughts of why do I do this...

Cleaning up engine bay for primer, mostly hand sanding due to all the channels and hard to reach areas. Debated on whether or not to remove the hood springs/mounts. Just another thing to have to adjust....went ahead pulled them off. Could not for the life of me figure how to remove RT side hinge mount/spring....got a little Western with it, just cut out part of battery tray to remove....should have been patient and asked here first, but by then said screw it. I'm sure someone here will show me the correct removal procedure. Plan is to finish sanding, get some primer on, put car back on lift and remove front suspension parts to replace and swap to disc, oh, another thing, finding out these cars have so many nooks and crannies that hold crap. Kept blowing & blowing air in holes around radiator core, got a lot of sand/dirt from everywhere. ...Kel

Comment

Kelly, I see you are planning on converting to front discs... Rear discs are not needed, so don't blow any money on doing them. Being as you are a Paid Member of this Forum, all the information we have put together regarding doing the front disc conversion is available to you in the Members Conference, Members Only Thread... I will be glad to discuss that with you, so feel free to give me a call.. There are a few things that have changed over the last few years regarding doing that conversion... Thanks for the update on the work you are doing and the pix. Putting the hood springs/mounts back on is gonna be a bit tricky probably, in getting the hood adjusted back the way it was. You may have to replace you battery tray, and perhaps it needs to be due to rust anyway. That is what often happens to it. Rusts out due to battery fluids, age, etc.. After some 60 years, my lower radiator support frame on my '59 had to be cut out and patched due to rust and battery fluid getting to it over the years I gather..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

IMG_1118.JPG Kelly, given your level of demonstrated expertise I'm sure you know you can replace the lower radiator support missing nuts with cage nuts. Just in case here is a few pictures of them. They simply snap in. Chris

Comment

Originally posted by p38fighter View Post
              IMG_1118.JPG Kelly, given your level of demonstrated expertise I'm sure you know you can replace the lower radiator support missing nuts with cage nuts. Just in case here is a few pictures of them. They simply snap in. Chris
              So that's what those holes are for. Going to assume they are to attach the radiator? PO replaced radiator with A nice Griffen radiator, those holes were not used, but I know now what they are for, thanks Chris!
              Last edited by 68blackbird; September 12th, 2021, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by YellowRose View Post
                Kelly, I see you are planning on converting to front discs... Rear discs are not needed, so don't blow any money on doing them. Being as you are a Paid Member of this Forum, all the information we have put together regarding doing the front disc conversion is available to you in the Members Conference, Members Only Thread... I will be glad to discuss that with you, so feel free to give me a call.. There are a few things that have changed over the last few years regarding doing that conversion... Thanks for the update on the work you are doing and the pix. Putting the hood springs/mounts back on is gonna be a bit tricky probably, in getting the hood adjusted back the way it was. You may have to replace you battery tray, and perhaps it needs to be due to rust anyway. That is what often happens to it. Rusts out due to battery fluids, age, etc.. After some 60 years, my lower radiator support frame on my '59 had to be cut out and patched due to rust and battery fluid getting to it over the years I gather..
                Yes sir, rear disc were not planned. Before going with kit I got, I read...and read the disc brake conversion threads....lots of good info, like all the threads I've read here. The battery tray is in remarkably good shape. Have seen way worse on newer cars. I really thought hard on take the hood springs out knowing getting it back like it was would probably be....fun? I scribed around the bracket, hopefully it will keep me close. For anyone interested, here are the kits I got for brake conversion, looks very similar to other kits I've used on other projects, looks pretty straight forward. Have the car jigged up for the work ahead. When I looked at the pics, I said, that looks a little dicey, but out on the car itself, its very solid. I rocked it pretty good from all 4 corners, its good to go. I mitered a groove on the board so the pinch weld flange fit into....more fun to come... Kel

Comment

Disc brake kit.
                  1957-63 FORD FULL SIZE GALAXIE FRONT DISC BRAKE CONVERSION. THIS IS A COMPLETE KIT TO CONVERT YOUR FULL SIZE FORD FROM DRUM BRAKES TO DISC BRAKES. YOU WILL RECEIVE WITH THIS KIT;. 1 POWER BRAKE BOOSTER WITH FIREWALL BRACKETS AND CLEVIS ROD.

Comment

Just noticed, price went up since I bought it early August, I paid $599.

Comment

Kelly, I do see that not only does it fit on the Big Fords, but they list it as being usable on the Squarebirds, which is good. I see you did quite a bit of research on this, which is good, before you bought a kit. I also see that it requires 15" disc brake ready rims. I hope that is what you have on your Tbird, and not 14" OEM rims... Now Scarebirds markets a kit that will work on 14" OEM rims. Back years ago when I and Howard Prout and others did our conversions, we had to find 14" disc brake ready rims off of Full Sized Disc Brake equipped Fords. I found my five on a '60-'s Galaxy, I think it was, in a junkyard.. I got them back then for $10ea... You are gonna need a combination valve to go between the front brakes and rears. We used the GM version, but the Ford version will work also. Attached are some pix in case you need them...

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

Originally posted by YellowRose View Post
                        Kelly, I do see that not only does it fit on the Big Fords, but they list it as being usable on the Squarebirds, which is good. I see you did quite a bit of research on this, which is good, before you bought a kit. I also see that it requires 15" disc brake ready rims. I hope that is what you have on your Tbird, and not 14" OEM rims... Now Scarebirds markets a kit that will work on 14" OEM rims. Back years ago when I and Howard Prout and others did our conversions, we had to find 14" disc brake ready rims off of Full Sized Disc Brake equipped Fords. I found my five on a '60-'s Galaxy, I think it was, in a junkyard.. I got them back then for $10ea... You are gonna need a combination valve to go between the front brakes and rears. We used the GM version, but the Ford version will work also. Attached are some pix in case you need them...
                        Thanks, the kit came with combo valve.

Comment

Good! Do you have 15" or bigger disc brake ready rims? Or are you gonna have to find 14" disc brake ready rims?

Comment

Ray is correct. That kit requires you to use 15" rims so that is an added expense as Squarebirds have 14" rims. Many Squarebird owners want to retain the stock look of the original hubcaps which is why they decide on the Scarebird kit which uses the factory 14" rims and buying the booster/mc separately.

John
                            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

The wheels on it are 15's from Contentintal, new wheels just aren't in the budget right now

Comment

Kel, That's a lot of good work going into your Bird.
                                Question: Are you going to do ball joints? I ask because with it up in the air, and without any engine weight, you won't be able to use the 'easy and safe' floor jack method of releasing the spring pressure. I saw it recommended on this site, and it worked really well.
                                I think I have also read on here where others managed to find a spring compressor that worked. Might be worth looking that up. Maybe one of the experts can find it for reference purposes.
                                Either way, keep on keepin' on.

Comment

Working...
                                X