Kel's '59 restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kel's '59 restoration

Ok, project under way. Car came from Laredo, TX, pretty dry area. Bringing to Corpus Christi, not so much, so rust issues need addressed ASAP before they get worse. After removing seats/carpet found areas with metal patches covering fiberglass....not a good sign.

Comment

Using some scraps I had laying around, started tacking pieces in after cleaning voids out best I could and treating with Corroseal.

Comment

Comment

Hi Kelly, I see you are finding more rust damage than you thought she had. But it looks like you are able to patch her up. When I got Tweety Bird back home years ago, I found out the entire passenger floor pan looked like swiss cheese after we got her on a lift. I had the Bird Nest send me a passenger floor panel, and my mechanic cut out the swiss cheese panel and welded in the new pan. It looked like it was brand new when he finished. Hopefully, you will be able to fix those area well on your Bird.. Thanks for posting the pix!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Ray, ordered a floor pan for drivers side. I scoured the innerweb for the "channel piece" but never found that piece for either side, wish I did, would make life much easier. I did know I was going to have some issues, but like most of these projects, always gets more involved once you put a grinder to it. I don't mind putting it out there, for $5K, running/stopping car in this condition, still feel pretty good about it. Thx, Kel

Comment

Kelly, send Carl Heller ~ partsetal on here a PM with a picture(s) of the channel piece(s) you are looking for. Perhaps Carl has those pieces, or can cut them from one of his parts cars. If not, contact Don at the Birds Nest in Oregon and ask him if he can provide either re-manufactured or from one of their parts cars. Ask John Draxler at Thunderbird Ranch if he can provide you with them also. The best way to get him is to send him an email to: jdrax "at" tbirdranch.com. You can post pix of the particular channel piece(s) you need here on the Forum also, in case someone else on here has a parts car they can cut those piece(s) you need and send them to you...

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

Hi Kel and welcome. Quite a bit of rust, but I'm pretty sure it will be worth it at the end. Keep sending us pix with the progression. Hopefully the budget won't blow out too much.
                Chris.....From OZ.

Comment

Kelly you are on the right track in swapping out the rust spots now. For $5000 you have lots of room in the budget Keep us posted. Regards
                  Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                  Thunderbird Registry
                  58HT #33317
                  60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Took a break from the cutting/grinding/welding work , have to do something little more fun once in a while. I ordered new gauge kit, description stated, "Designed to fit the original opening"...IDK, I took that as direct fit, my bad. I liked the gauges, so decided to try and make it work. Did some cutting on original insert, some fiberglass work, I think it will be fine. I'll sand everything smooth, paint, install. I'll knock out those holes I glassed where ignition switch and wiper switch are...got a little carried away...Kel

Comment

Hi Kelly, that is some interesting work you did on the instrument panel! Those are nice looking gauges. Are they 6v gauges like the OEM ones are, or are they 12v? When you took out the instrument panel you should have seen the CVR unit attached to the back of the panel. That Constant Voltage Regulator is what takes the 12v from the battery and downsizes it to an oscillating 0-6v to the gauges so the 12v does not burn them out. As a Paid Member, now would be a good time to send it to Dave ~ simplyconnected, if you want to convert it to a solid state CVR unit and save some money. If he is up to doing this now due to his recent health issue. He gives a discount to Paid Members like yourself, and guarantees it. If those are 12v gauges you will not need a CVR unit.

Comment

Hi Kel, I've done quite a bit of custom work over the years myself but you've got me stumped. That is really something,but until the Fat Lady Sings I'll be waiting to see the surprising results.
                        Chris......From OZ.

Comment

Gauges are 12 volt, thanks Ray.
                          Xmas in June. Floor pans and Classic Air unit arrived today, more cutting/grinding /fitting today.

Comment

Wowwwww! Thanks for the post and pix! I wish I had known that you were gonna install the CAA "Perfect Fit" AC system! I happen to know Steve & Dwight there very well, having helped a number of our members obtain parts needed for the install, and finding companies to install their system for them... You are really whacking our the damage to the old Girl! Since you have OEM AC on the car already, I hope that you will have the necessary pulley(s) to do the conversion. In the past when doing one to a Squarebird with a 430MEL engine in it, it has been almost impossible to find the OEM mounting bracket that mounts to the engine block and then allows one to mount the CAA compressor unit to it. I hope it will not be that case for your engine block. I think you have the 352. Call me when you can... I will be up for awhile... Ray

Comment

Did more work on dash. This is a rough draft. Still needs little more sanding and trimming, threw some paint just to see where it was going. Finish product will turn out pretty good....I think.

Comment

Working...
                              X