Disc brake conversion - Hockey Stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disc brake conversion - Hockey Stick

I have the engineering drawings of the adjustable hockey but was wondering if anyone has a picture of it.

Thanks

Chris, I just spoke with Howard... Neither he nor I have any pictures of the actual hockey stick after it was made. He looked through his computer, and I did mine also. When I got mine, I did not think to take pix of it. I had the engineering design drawings though. So we went about installing that hockey stick on the booster. I don't know why I did not think to take pix of it. I guess Howard did not either. I thought that the engineering drawings had the measurements on the two that I have. One is the two piece drawing without the adjustable section on it. The other with the adjustable section in place. Neither has measurements. It might be that you may be able to make it to the same size of the drawing, and use the adjustable section to shorten or lengthen it.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Thanks Ray. The drawings are fully measured so there is no problem. Just curious.

Comment

Chris, in talking with Howard, he was surprised that he had not put the actual dimensions on his drawings. He said in the past he had always done so. But I told him that he can see that in this case he did not, after I sent him the copies he had sent me. Then he said that what you see in the drawings should be the actual size of that adjustable hockey stick. I hope this helps...

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

Found this in my files
          WHITE 60 HARDTOP AND 54 FORD SEDAN CUSTOMLINE TBIRD REGISTRY #61860 920-286-2277

Comment

Hi Kenn, I have seen that version before, but it is different from the one that Howard made. He just said to me in email that the drawing in the graphic ending in 4-6 pdf.pdf is the actual dimensions of that adjustable hockey stick. He also said this....
            "Note that there are seven pieces in the assembly: the left connector(1) with a threaded stud (2) welded to it, the right connector(3) with a threaded stud (4) welded to it, a coupling nut (5) and two jamb nuts (6 & 7)."

In this picture, I do not see a coupling nut (5) unless that is one between the two jamb nuts on the threaded stud...

Here is that picture...

Comment

Ray, the picture Howard sent you is in the TRL in the post by Dave Dare. I'll take pictures as I go and give them to you if you would like.
              Chris

Comment

Chris, can you provide me with the link to that post? I searched for it and did not find it. BTW, Howard also came up with a non-adjustable 1 piece pushrod hockey stick. He said it is much easier to make but may require some in process adjusting to make it work properly. Here is a picture of it and again, I think the picture is full size. There are no dimension markings on it.

Comment

I just might make both. I have the metal so why not.
                  Here's the link.
                  https://squarebirds.org/Brakes/DiscBrakeConversion/

Comment

Hi Chris, and thanks for that link. I did NOT have a copy of that Adjustable Hockey Stick Vers 4-9! I do now thanks to you. I see this one does have the measurements in it. I also see Dave has it marked at Ver 4-8, but the drawing says Ver 4-9. Howard said it is much easier to work with the 1 piece hockey stick, of course.

Comment

Ray,
                      I just printed off the photo in your post # 8 of the 1 piece hockey stick. It appears to be a reduced size picture. I base that on the smaller holes and shorter length. Perhaps Howard has a measured copy somewhere. I appreciate your running with this.

Chris

Comment

Chris, let me email you the actual .pdf file that I have. Is your email addy you registered with still valid? Howard does not have a copy of it anymore, is my understanding... What I did was to make a copy of that .pdf file and make it a .jpg because the Forum would not let me send a .pdf file... Maybe in doing that, it might have downsized it some... But I do have the actual .pdf file, but it does not have dimensions on it... Let me know about the email addy before I send...

Comment

No change in the address

Comment

Chris, there is no need to make the Brake Pedal Rod adjustable. There's no need to weld, grind, no need for 'all thread' or jam nuts.
                            Howard's diagram calls for a length of 6-7/8" (hole center to hole center). Let's figure a better method to determine where the Brake Pedal hole should be using a simple flat Hockey Stick length.

What is the stroke of a M/C? The Hockey Stick will cut that stroke in about half because it attaches nearly to the center of the Pivot Link.

The Pivot link needs to rest about in the middle of the M/C stroke, or maybe just before the middle, so the pedal operation keeps the booster input shaft somewhat straight through the stroke.

So... build your hockey stick LONG with no brake pedal hole until the very last. It's simply a 1/4" thick plate with a 'kick' on the end.

Mount the firewall bracket with the link connected to the booster rod and mount the M/C as well.
                            At this point, you need to adjust the OUTPUT SHAFT of the Booster so that it 'just touches' the M/C's piston. We’ll worry about the booster’s input rod later.

This part is covered in the Shop Manual but I have my own method using common tools. With the booster all the way retracted (at rest) and the master piston fully retracted (also at rest). The Booster's output shaft is somewhat hidden until you push the booster's input shaft in. Then, you can access the jack screw and jam nut. I have used some M/C's with pistons so deep, I had to replace the booster's jack screw with a longer (metric) bolt. The supplied jack screw may be sufficient for your M/C.

I separate the Booster and Master, put a piece of Saran Wrap in the master AND a piece of American cheese (or a small ball of PlayDoh) in the exposed end of the M/C's piston. The plastic is simply there to make cleanup easier. Now, bolt the Booster and Master together. (Don't move the booster's input rod.) Then, unbolt the Master and observe the depression in the cheese. You want the jack screw to 'just barely' push the piston in. If there is no depression, adjust the jack screw out until it hits the piston. You can look down the reservoirs to see the hydraulic holes. If either hole is covered, you've gone too far and brake fluid will never 'return to tank'. <--this is important.

Now that the booster and master are adjusted properly, bolt the Hockey Stick to the Link and adjust the booster's input rod so that the firewall bracket link sits just before the middle of the M/C stroke. Under the dash, measure where the brake pedal bolt should be drilled in the Hockey Stick. I thought the diameter was 3/8" but Howard calls it 5/16".

There should be no 'helper springs' to return the pedal as that happens from the booster by itself. Make sure your brake pedal is at a comfortable height before determining the bolt hole location on the Hockey Stick. Once you determine that, drill it and try it. There is still some adjustment possible from the booster's input rod. I like to adjust my brake pedal so that my foot fits under it with the pedal all the way down. You may want yours a little closer to the floor.

Let me know what length you came up with. Again, no welding, no grinding, no 'all thread' or jam nuts.

BTW, 'bench bleed' your new M/C before mounting AND make SURE all your brakets are tight. Any flexing from metal will feel like there is air in the line and your pedal will be mushy. - Dave
                            My latest project:
                            CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Dave, thank you. I will get back to you when finished.
                              Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X