axle question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• axle question

just put the differential back into the car. very heavy. i put the axles in. they seemed to slide in fine and i advanced them until resistance felt. tightened the 4 T axle retaining bolts, torqued to 30 ft.#. but I can spin the axles easily and there is little or no resistance and the driveshaft does not move!. shouldn't it move.? if I spin the driveshaft by hand the axles turn normally both forward and reverse. something seems wrong here. what shall i do? just drive the car it seems to me the driveshaft should spin when I turn the axles by hand. i am getting worried that i did something wrong. I did not touch the gears in the diff at all.

Just to make sure, you have to turn both wheels in order to move the driveshaft.

Comment

ok I feel relived. rotated one axle clockwise the opposite one counterclockwise and the driveshaft turned! Went in the other direction with the 2 axles, and driveshaft turned opposite way. hurray. thanks so much i feel much better now.

Comment

That's amazing that simple rear axle assembly therapy could make you feel relived.
        By the time you do your engine you'll be a new man!
        My latest project:
        CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

50 years ago I worked 2 summers in a machine shop in L.A. rebuilding small block Chevy's and doing valve jobs. then i didn't lift wrench for 40 or so years, now I'm learning how to do other things from you folks on this site. thanks to all. also working on my 13 your old Mercedes, which is a PITA but worth it as the stealer/'dealer gets $180/hr. labor charge, and a serpentine belt is $65. they wanted $600 for a belt and tensioner install. th tensioner has 2 bolts to remove it!

Comment

Yep, just like the hearing aid guy on TV... "Whatever they can get..."
            We run into this a lot. The bottom line for me is, do it yourself and take your time doing it. That way you know what work has been done. The car guy from upstate NY on youtube says, 'If I can do it, you can do it.'
            Retirement is a wonderful thing. - Dave
            My latest project:

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

thanks to all. i took some pix of my newly installed 3rd member, all cleaned and painted, new seals and cleaned internals. https://imgur.com/a/keur2XJ

Comment

How much gear lube did you put in and how do you know it is full? I see a boss in the carrier but no plug.
                My latest project:

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

the fill plug on the banjo rear was removed with a 1/2" drive ratchet. then filled to the level of the hole. i think this is the level it shoud be at, yes? i will call you later Dave as you asked, regarding the brake problems on my 63.

Comment

Warren, thanks for the info. How much gear lube did your empty rear end take and what brand of oil did you use?
                    My latest project:

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

took about 2 quarts, used Lucas 80-90 wt. standard, not synthetic gear oil .

Comment

Originally posted by vermbird View Post
                        thanks to all. i took some pix of my newly installed 3rd member, all cleaned and painted, new seals and cleaned internals. https://imgur.com/a/keur2XJ
                        I see the boss for a plug... Where's the plug? BTW, is this axle on your '63?

_2UD9Dwl.jpg
                        My latest project:

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

no plug on the carrier side, fills from rear of banjo. yes, this is 1963 t bird differential. can see the C2AW.... on housing.

Comment

Working...
                          X