X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • p38fighter
    Super-Experienced
    • Oct 14 2016

Diff and pinion questions

I had a major leak through the pinion seal. First photo shows the yoke and the wear pattern on the shaft. The "scratch" is barely discernible with my fingernail. Question should I sleeve it since its all the way out now? Who sells these sleeves?
    Second photo shows the pinion seal standing well proud of the retainer cover. Can that be right or should it be level with the cover?
    Third photo shows a paint mark on the diff. Is it an identifier of some type?
    Fourth photo show a cast in "WAT" on the retainer. Is that an identifier of some type?
    Fifth photo shows the Timken seal supplied for the pinion. I don't see how it will go in as the existing one if the stand off is correct.

Thanks for the help...
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You have the wrong seal. That seal fits late '59 and 1960. Here's the seal you need. Rockauto has it listed.

diff seal.jpg
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• OX1
      Super-Experienced
      • Feb 10 2016

I might check pinion end play and make sure you don't also have worn bearings, allowing that yoke move around a little more than it should.
      Can even pull out pinion assembly and take a look.
      59-430-HT

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎