new upholstery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new upholstery

Im dreading it, but i will have to recover the seats, door panels and dash.
    Is there a good source for this?

The upholstery sets are made by Larry's Thunderbird parts and Thunderbird Headquarters. All the other vendors buy from one or the other. I've used the upholstery made by Thunderbird HQ and it seems to be decent quality. The price is comparable between the two unless someone has it on sale. When you redo the seats you will also need new foam. You can buy that from the vendors also but it is expensive. If you will be using an upholstery shop to install the covers it will probably be cheaper to have them make the seat foam.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

yea, the foam turns to dust as I squeeze it :-)

Comment

My regret in getting this car is compiling, unfortunately, there is no way to back out without losing thousands. I had the transmission remanufactured ( not just rebuilt) then i notice the rear main seal has been leaking. so i figure ill just pull the engine, clean it up replace the seal. Then i remove the valve cover....

I guess a teardown is inevitable.

Comment

I've seen worse that gave 9 years of good service until it was torn down for a leaking rear main.

Comment

I agree with Carl. I've had cars much worse that ran just fine after a good cleaning. I suggest you remove the intake and clean under there also. It's probably just as bad. I wouldn't do a complete rebuild if it's not in your budget. Unless you got the car for practically nothing by the time you factor in the transmission, new upholstery, an engine rebuild and other miscellaneous parts you are way over the value of the car.

John

Comment

Originally posted by jopizz View Post
              I agree with Carl. I've had cars much worse that ran just fine after a good cleaning. I suggest you remove the intake and clean under there also. It's probably just as bad. I wouldn't do a complete rebuild if it's not in your budget. Unless you got the car for practically nothing by the time you factor in the transmission, new upholstery, an engine rebuild and other miscellaneous parts you are way over the value of the car.

John
              Exactly, I got it for $2500, so ill just give it a good cleaning and hope for the best.

Comment

under those valve covers is not really that bad at all....by the way I noticed you live in New Milford, i lived there for 8 years, on the other side of CT now.
                and also.. i would have grabbed that at $2500. without a thought... unless you have money to "burn" take your time and enjoy bringing this car "back".

Comment

Originally posted by frank58 View Post
                  under those valve covers is not really that bad at all....by the way I noticed you live in New Milford, i lived there for 8 years, on the other side of CT now.
                  and also.. i would have grabbed that at $2500. without a thought... unless you have money to "burn" take your time and enjoy bringing this car "back".
                  I Frank, my shop is in New Milford, the industrial complex next door to the High School.
                  I Usually spend my $$ on Mustangs and one Nova :-) I was planning on just putting minimal $ into this just to drive as a survivor. But there is no such thing as "just" with any car :-)

Comment

I think these older engines were always prone to sludge up. By any chance, did you ever do a compression test on the engine? Was there any knocking sounds indicating bearing wear? Was the engine using an excessive amount of oil or smoking? These would all be a better indication of needing a rebuild than a little sludge on the rockers.
                    Now if you decide to stay with this engine, pulling the intake is a great idea and cleaning under there. Another thing would be to pull the oil pan and clean everything there, especially the oil pickup screen. Also, another thing that is overlooked is to clean the rocker arm tubes, especially on the inside. There is a great article in the TRL on how to disassemble and clean the rockers. I didn't do it when I rebuilt the engine, so after reading the TRL, I pulled the rocker assembles and cleaned them. Glad I did it.
                    Nyles

Comment

Originally posted by Tbird1044 View Post
                      I think these older engines were always prone to sludge up. By any chance, did you ever do a compression test on the engine? Was there any knocking sounds indicating bearing wear? Was the engine using an excessive amount of oil or smoking? These would all be a better indication of needing a rebuild than a little sludge on the rockers.
                      Now if you decide to stay with this engine, pulling the intake is a great idea and cleaning under there. Another thing would be to pull the oil pan and clean everything there, especially the oil pickup screen. Also, another thing that is overlooked is to clean the rocker arm tubes, especially on the inside. There is a great article in the TRL on how to disassemble and clean the rockers. I didn't do it when I rebuilt the engine, so after reading the TRL, I pulled the rocker assembles and cleaned them. Glad I did it.
                      Nyles
                      I actually ran the engine, several times, but not "running steady" used a squirt bottle with gas.
                      Ran pretty good from what i heard, but since i removed it. i will break it down and give it a block boil, lap the valves, new seals, timing chain, etc...

By the way, i noticed something weird about ordering a timing chain set. there are none. it seems they only sell the chain, not with gears.....

Comment

It is getting hard to find the thrust button FE timing sets. Most are the later ones that use the thrust plate. The cam gear is available though. It is Cloyes S284.

John

Comment

Originally posted by jopizz View Post
                          It is getting hard to find the thrust button FE timing sets. Most are the later ones that use the thrust plate. The cam gear is available though. It is Cloyes S284.

John
                          What is this thrust button you speak of :-)

Comment

Early FE engines have a spring loaded "button" on the end of the camshaft that pushes against the timing cover to prevent the camshaft from wandering. Around 1963 the camshaft design was changed to use a plate to hold it. The timing gear sets for the later plate style camshaft are readily available but are not compatible with the older camshaft design. It is possible to drill the block to use the newer camshaft and plate.

John

Comment

Here's a picture that shows the camshaft and the spring/button that goes on the end of it.

John
                              thrust button.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Warning: include(test.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/squar229/public_html/vbulletin/index.php on line 78 Warning: include(test.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/squar229/public_html/vbulletin/index.php on line 78 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'test.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/opt/cpanel/ea-php72/root/usr/share/pear') in /home/squar229/public_html/vbulletin/index.php on line 78