X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pearlbird
    Experienced
    • Jun 15 2020

1960 Front Passenger power window not working

My recent addition of my 1960 Hardtop has power windows. The front driver side works, and I believe the rear windows on both side were working also( it’s in the shop now getting brake redo). The front passenger side however doesn’t work. The buttons on the middle console are a bit grungy and worn down from use. I have read they often start working after simply cleaning them. Where should I start in trying to get this window operational? Is it good enough to simply have the car off when cleaning or does the battery need disconnected also? What should I use to clean? I’ve found many parts offered in the catalogs such as new motors, and complete switch panels, but don’t want to overdo since that’s all expensive. I wouldn’t mind replacing the buttons at least since they look pretty worn out. I don’t want to mess up the windows that are working though. Is it pretty easy to work on or does it need to be done by my mechanic? Thanks for guidance!
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

There are two ways to go about this. You can take the passenger side door panel off and test to see if the motor is getting power when you hit the switch or you can take the switch plate out and clean the switch contacts. I do this with very fine sandpaper. If you decide to take the switch plate out make sure that battery is disconnected. Many times the passenger side door window motor freezes up from lack of use and corrosion. If it was me I would take the door panel off and test to see if the motor is getting power. If it is the motor will have to be removed to see if the shaft is turning or frozen.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Gina, the work required to determine why the front passenger window does not work is probably going to require that a mechanic check it out. It is going to have to be determined if you have a bad ground, a wire that might have come loose at the center console switch, or in the door panel, or somewhere else. Or a motor that has gone bad, or the buttons on the center console are dirty and need to be cleaned. Those are some of the things that need to be checked out.

In the Technical Resource Library (link is located in the Green Bar at the top of the Forum, or in my or John ~ jopizz's signature element) you will find the section on how to troubleshoot the Window problems. Once in the TRL, push the Ctrl key on your keyboard and the F (F=Find) key. Type in Windows and it will take you right to it. As I recall, all of the entries there are working, except for the third link down. The information there is probably going to be beyond your ability to do this. I see that while I was writing that John has given you good information, especially about disconnecting the battery. Whenever working with something electrical, ALWAYS disconnect the battery if you do not need power to do your checking. Failure to do so can short something else out. Should you have your mechanic check this out for you, as a Guest on the Forum he DOES have access to the TRL. I was not sure a Guest does, but I just brought up the Forum as a Guest without logging in and found that I CAN view the TRL Window Links (and all the others, I gather) as a Guest. To have direct access to John, Dave, others, and myself, he may want to become a user on the Forum so that he can better troubleshoot problems with your car. Just like Mike in Mississippi has while his crew goes through his customers Squarebird, restoring it.
      Last edited by YellowRose; August 27, 2020, 06:59 PM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

A couple of things to consider. Removing the switch plate can cause damage even if you are careful. The wires and insulation on the switch plugs can be very brittle and brake easily causing bigger problems. As for the dirty plastic of the switches I recommend using use some alcohol on a paper towel to clean them. I don't recommend using soap and water as it can get into the switch. You or your mechanic should also be aware that each motor has a 15 amp circuit breaker on the ground wire. If that is bad the motor will not work.

John

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Dave has fixed that broken 3rd link in the Windows section so it is now working, and also the link inside it. So that is now fully operational again. Thank you, Dave, for the quick fix.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• Pearlbird
            Experienced
            • Jun 15 2020

Thanks for all the great information. I agree it sounds like the job is more than I could easily do and will have my mechanic take a look. It is good to understand what to look out for and how it is all set up.

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Gina, I figured that might be beyond your abilities to do so. However, your mechanic should be able to access the TRL as a Guest and view the links in the Windows section on how to troubleshoot, check and repair/replace any components that he finds are causing the problem.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

Actually, none of this work is hard, especially motor troubleshooting and repair. A light touch is required to take the motor apart and clean it because the parts are somewhat fragile. A heavy-hand tends to break the micarta parts inside. CLICK HERE for your link.

Here's the deal... window and seat motors NEVER wear their brushes out because up/down operation only requires about 20 revolutions. However, over time, grease and carbon from the brushes gum up the armature's commutator segments. Car voltage is only 12-volts and the resistance from a simple piece of paper is enough electrical insulation to stop any component (including switches). Gummy grease is just as bad.

Consider this armature: 05_armature[1].jpg
                The commutator on the right hand side is dirty, that's all.

After cleaning the goop out with contact cleaner (sometimes I use kerosene and a brush), this motor worked just fine. - Dave
                Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Pearlbird
                  Experienced
                  • Jun 15 2020

Thanks for the additional advice. One more question, are there any guidelines or any special tools needed to remove the inside of the door to reach the motor and will my mechanic likely already have what he needs to do this? Thanks again.

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The only special tool needed is to remove the inside door handle. Any good mechanic will have the correct tool. He also has to be very careful when pulling out the clips that hold the panel to the door that he doesn't rip the slots in the panel. If he's not careful and just tries to muscle it off then I would look for another mechanic.

John

Comment

• p38fighter
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Oct 14 2016

Here are the tools. You can get by with the gold tool and these are cheaply available in most automotive stores.
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎