Dash Pad Redo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dash Pad Redo?

I think I cleaned the dash pad really well but couldn’t find my old Color Bond Prep Cleaner mixture so I used an SEM Plastic Adhesion Promoter. As you can see the dye did not fully penetrate the dash pad, at least in some places.

Recommendations to remedy/redo this would be appreciated, especially if anyone has had the same experience.

I am thinking of:
    1) cleaning very well as scrubbing with a gray Scotchbrite pad
    2) using the Color Bond Prep Cleaner (new mixture)
    3) respraying with the dye
    4) spray Color Bond Dash Clear protectant

Thanks!
    3CE981E8-D26A-45E8-A2CF-C05068C9BA93.jpeg 407E861D-39FF-4CD9-80CC-C540C953FDA7.jpeg ​​​​​​​
    Todd Gilroy
    1960 Tbird Convertible
    Thunderbird Registry #54651

I don't think the plastic adhesion promoter was the right product to use. I always the SEM vinyl prep. It softens the surface to promote adhesion. Your dash pad is vinyl, not plastic. You can try using lacquer thinner in those spots to remove the dye and soften the material and then respray.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

I never liked the 'greasy' feel of the fresh repro dash pad so I begin with lacquer thinner to get it as clean as possible, followed up with Bulldog Adhesion Promoter and then sprayed with my SEM color. I've done 3 like this with no problems.

Comment

I think it’s gonna work out. Using a small panel I had cut out for the console courtesy light as a test, I stripped the dye with lacquer thinner then cleaned with the Color Bond Prep Cleaner. I let that dry then shot it with a couple light coats of the dye and then the protectant. Seems to have penetrated pretty good...can’t scratch it off with my fingernail like before. Next up is the dash.

Thanks!
        Todd Gilroy
        1960 Tbird Convertible

Comment

Thanks toddgilroy. I’m going with your same technique. Just ordered a brand new dash, tried a coat of blue, wasn’t happy. Stuck pretty good, but don’t want a passenger down the road after install going “Hey, nice dash!” And rubbing the vinyl dye right off. So like you, I’ll strip it, Prep it, Spray it, and Clearcoat it with the same Colorbond products. Please post a finished picture. Good luck.
          SquareBird in BirdCity

Comment

Finished re-dyeing the dash pad and a few coats of protectant and I think it looks pretty good. Seems like it penetrates well. We’ll see how it holds up during the installation process.
            C25B466A-4F61-4C0D-869A-9070F31A130C.jpeg 419FE460-B8CD-4A5E-BA9B-9630CA5BB371.jpeg 592B3F25-721E-4DE3-8F22-08EAC9CCB2D2.jpeg ​​​​​​​
            Todd Gilroy
            1960 Tbird Convertible

Comment

Congratulations, Todd! It looks like it came out really nice!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
              X