No announcement yet.

1960 Restoration Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sherman brought his parts trailer to the shop and here is some of the stuff in it. Yes, those are brand new K-H rims with whitewall radials on them, already mounted and balanced.. BTW, Mike said they have the metal work ability to fix those inner rear fender panels... Here are some pix that Mike sent me.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

i Mike check your PM's re fan shroud.
      Regards,
      Don Vincent
      Amherst NY
      1960 HT 352
      TBird Registry 34042

Comment

Originally posted by redvettemike View Post
        The '60 Tbird we are working on has some sheetmetal/rust issues. We have some replacement panel and we have a donor car. These rear inner fender panels we however do not have and I do not see that you can buy such panels new (that may not be correct.) So We wouldke to know if such inner panels are in fact made. If not would some of you fine folks have those panels (or could cut out the panels) used? Thanks.
        Mike
        I feel your pain. I ended up buying an entire rear 1/4 panel and the body shop still ended up using some of the patch panels I had bought.
        Nyles TB.JPG

Comment

Yep, I ended up having the back half of a donor car shipped from California to Nebraska because my quarters were in such bad shape. Had to be cut up into 3 pieces to crate and ship, but I still think I came out ahead vs. having the shop patch the old or fabricate new. One thing to be aware of is aftermarket lower quarter patch panels and fender skirts don’t mate up well. Skirts didn’t come close to fitting the patch panels on my car but fit like a glove with the donor car original quarters.

EE24AFBD-6269-45A7-8F93-78A9C4538DD9.jpeg 58AA23E6-8C7E-4443-890F-606F523CC3B6.jpeg 7B475E9D-384D-4CAA-BF32-CDBFD09D47EC.jpeg
          Todd Gilroy
          1960 Tbird Convertible
          Thunderbird Registry #54651

Comment

Tks for imput on those quarters. We will check out the fender skirt fit.

Comment

Along the lines of fender skirts, when I replaced the right rear quarter panel, it came from a car that did not have the fender skirts. I was going to install the pins for the skirts, and use the left side for a pattern. Didn't seem to work really well, so I never drilled the holes for the pins. Does anyone have a good solution for positioning and installing the pins in the fender well. Just curious.
              Nyles

Comment

I put the skirt in place and use clamps to hold it in the correct position. I then use a pencil to trace the slots onto the quarter panel and drill holes in the center of the slot. That seems to work pretty well.

John
                John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

We right angle wire brushed those inner quarters; treated them with Ospho; then POR15 painted them. We are welding in a patch for the very bottom.

Comment

Quarter panel patches are going on. These guys are impressed with the thickness of the metal on the original car.

Comment

Working...
                    X