Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gina Has Some Questions Regarding Her '60 Squarebird!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gina Has Some Questions Regarding Her '60 Squarebird!

Gine ~ Pearlbird is about to have her new-to-her 1960 Squarbird shipped into her via an enclosed auto transport company that she has good references on. I have given her much detailed information regarding the transfer of the vehicle, and so has John ~ jopizz on what to do and watch out for I just posted some pix for her in Our Rides for all to see. It looks to be in pretty good condition and is said to be primarily an Arizona car, free of rust problems, after checking it over. There are a few minor issues with it that she would like to have your input on. One is that the PO said that there is something draining the battery when the car is sitting idle and not in use. Something was said about a light near the AC controls that stays on. I was thinking maybe the clock was the problem. John mentioned that it might be the overhead light, or something to do with the headlight switch. That needs to be trouble shot and determined what is that is causing it and fix it. The steering wheel Tbird emblem is cracked, but I think that is just a matter of pulling that center section off, and replacing the emblem? It has been so long since I worked on the steering wheel that I have forgotten how that comes off. I think it just pulls off. Carl, do you have a '60 Tbird emblem in your parts box? Also she has that neat rear deck antenna but someone broke off the antenna. Can that be replaced without having to replace the mount that it goes into on the trunk? Or will she have to buy a complete replacement? Do you have an antenna? I know she would like an answer to that question. Her hubcaps with the Tbird spinner look like they are off a Bulletbird, and she is looking at getting the OEM hubcaps for the 1960 Squarebird and putting the spinners on them. Do you have them in stock? I think she might have found a good used set of 4 but I am not sure. The glove box/trunk key is missing, so she is thinking of taking off the glovebox door, taking it to a locksmith and get a key made for the glovebox door lock, which should also work on the trunk. So those are the issues that she knows needs to be addressed now. She did find a manual in the glovebox, but I am not sure if it was the Shop Manual or the Users Manual. Here are a couple of pix showing the problem areas.
    Last edited by YellowRose; June 29th, 2020, 02:50 AM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

John ~ jopizz tells me that the OEM Squarebird trunk mounted antenna assembly is hard to come by, but it is available, as an aftermarket item, as you know, from the Bird Nest and others, I gather. I had thought that you might be able to just buy the mast only, but John said that he does not think the 1961-1966 mast only in the Bird Nest catalog will fit on the Squarebird antenna deck mount. You will probably have to buy the whole assembly. Before you do, he also said that if you can stick a metal coat hanger into the antenna mount and turn on the radio, you should find out if the antenna is still connected to the radio. Even without the coat hanger, you might get some signals on the AM radio by tuning back and forth across the band. But the coat hanger antenna trick should tell you if the radio is working and picking up signals. If it is not, then you may have a radio problem, or the antenna lead might not be connected to the radio...

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

As for the glove box lock, an easy fix is to have the lock open, remove the small brass tabs inside (sorry cant remember the name). Then it will work with any key (or blade or screwdriver or anything that can slide in it)
      It's not burglar proof but will prevent a "too curious kid" to reach for is contents. As long as they don't know the trick, they will not be aware they could open it.

Comment

Carl told me that to get that center horn button piece on the steering wheel off with the Tbird emblem on it, it just pulls off. But then you have to look inside the horn button piece and figure out how to remove the cracked white Tbird emblem from it. Then you put the new one in and lock it in place and push that horn button piece back in place. Make sure you order the white one for the 1959-1960 Squarebird and not the black one for the '58.

Comment

The white center was only used in 1960. 1959 also used the black center. I've changed the plastic center emblem many times. It can be tricky getting the locking tab out but it's certainly doable.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

Yup, that is what Carl said about the mounting tab being a little tricky to work with but it can be done. I see that in the Bird Nest catalog they list the White emblem for both the '59 and the '60 Squarebird and only the black one for the '58. Maybe it is a typo. In any case, she needs the white one.

Comment

Working...
            X