Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic mechanics book for FE (352)

Good day All,

Anyone could help find a good book, easy to understand for mechanics on my 60' Bird?
    Or an online course?
    Starting from very basic and when I say basic I really mean basic.

All I find are books for modern engines.
    I have the shop manual, but need a more basic book.

Thanks

Pat

Pat, most of the Tbird parts houses have books on various Squarebird components, beside the Shop Manual. There is a Wiring Diagram Manual, Electrical Assembly Manual that the production line used to put the car together, The Body & Interior Trim Manual that Ford used, Convertible Top Repair & Adjustment Manual, Engine Components Manual, Specifications & Features Manual, Reproduction & Illustrations Guides, and Thunderbird Restoration Guide, Alan Tast's Thunderbird 50 Years book, and the Owners Manual... The Bird Nest (Page 82-84 in their catalog) and others, have those books available for purchase.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Pat,

Steve Christ's book is a great easy to follow book on rebuilding and understanding FE engines including the 352. I've referred to it many times. I recommend you start with that.
      https://www.amazon.com/How-Rebuild-B.../dp/0895860708

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Thanks Ray,

What I need I guess is more like a training course/book on all principle and components of old engines, that would explain basics in details so I could then jump to more details manuals afterwards.
        All I find are Youtube course for modern cars, but nothing for old Fords engine. They have interesting sutff in UK, but for their domestic classic cars only.

Comment

Thanks John,

This looks like the perfect book for me to start. I'm ordering it.

Pat

Comment

This book is a must have. Even if you read the other one too.
            Attached Files

Comment

Is this easy to understand without basic mechanic knowledge?

Comment

My experience has taught me that FE engines are the hardest to deal with (and more expensive). if you have a shop do a rebuild, first get recommendations from others that know a shop that knows these engines. If you're going totally stock that that's one thing. any mods ad to the curve exponentially.
                Attached Files

Comment

FE engines are NOT as difficult to overhaul as a 430 MEL because you can still get parts for the FE.
                  If you start out repairing Ford engines, then Chevy engines will seem strange. The same holds true if you start out with Chevy engines, then switch to Ford.

ALL V8 engines work the same way. Different companies label things differently. Just remember that all Left/Right hand parts are 'with respect to the driver,' sitting in the car.

There are some 'conventions' that are not explained well in Ford books. Like, wire colors: If you see Orange/Red (O/R) on a wiring diagram, it can mean one of two things; an orange wire with a red stripe OR an orange wire with a molded red end cap.

Ford FE engines are numbered, starting on the RH side (passenger's side), 1, 2, 3, 4 (front to back). The numbers continue on the LH side, 5, 6, 7, 8. Sounds easy, right? Not so fast...
                  If you turn the engine upside down with no oil pan, the pistons will be numbered from front to back: 5, 1, 6, 2, 7, 3, 8, 4 because the LH bank is farther forward than the RH bank. Turn a Chevy engine upside down and the pistons are numbered (front to back), 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. Their LH bank is also forward but they start numbering from the driver's (LH) side: 1, 3, 5, 7 then continue on the RH side, 2, 4, 6, 8. I'm giving you this not to confuse you but just to show that both engines are exactly the same but numbered differently.

Learn the relationship between the crankshaft and camshaft. In every 4-stroke engine, the crankshaft rotates twice the number of revolutions of the camshaft. They are chained together and always 'in time' with each other.

Call me if you want to know engine operation details. - Dave (248) 544-8834
                  My latest project:
                  CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                  --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Worked on Chevy's big and small blocks since the early 70's. By far the easiest and most forgiving and cheapest because of the many part suppliers. Worked on 302/5.0 Fords since early 2,000's and 460's. FE motors are a stand alone animal. NO WAY would I take one to a shop and have them do a total rebuild without several customers saying they did a good job and that they know FE's. As for the 430 I have no clue, never worked on them.

Comment

Working...
                    X