No announcement yet.

Latest Thunderbird Caper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know. I have to borrow my buddies Fuel pressure tester . . . Thingy.
    I know the Edel/Carters don't like more than about 4 lbs though.
    What bothers me, is it ran all those years (decades) w/o an issue

Plus, with the pump BARELY pumping, I can't believe it's an excessive
    pressure problem.

Comment

Bob, all these problems are mechanical and all can be isolated and tested individually. As you said, pressures don't exceed four psi so testing shouldn't need clamps, etc.

Fuel pump - Put it on a bench vice and run the arm by hand. You can use a couple clear 'test hoses' that run in and out of a gas can. Use your senses; watch for flow and put your finger over the output. You can feel four pounds and it should stop flow.

After the pump is proved, let it draw from your car's gas tank into a gas can, again using clear hoses. You will see if the tank is clogged or if it is sucking air. Air in the line can be from a hole or a bad connection in the fuel line. Air is much easier to flow because it is less dense than liquid.

Carb- Finally, use clear hoses to your carb. If the carb is leaky, rebuild it. Most kits are available at your local auto parts stores for about $20 or so. Power valves and other parts not included in a rebuild kit can be ordered as well. Pay close attention to your float. If it is brass, make sure it isn't filled with gas.

I disassemble my carbs in a shoe box so I don't lose any of the small parts. I also use NAME BRAND carburetor cleaner. Knock-off brands don't cut varnish. I also use FINE copper wire to ream small passages as I spray the cleaner. Let it rest (so the cleaner can do its job) and spray it again.

This whole job should be a Saturday afternoon experiment that definitely includes beer. You WILL find the culprit using these conventional troubleshooting practices.

When I troubleshoot a 'no start' problem for a car or lawnmower, I pay attention to my senses. Do I smell gas? Do I NOT smell gas? Notice, I pay attention to things I DO NOT see/smell/feel as well as the things I do. That's why it's hard to troubleshoot from this computer in Royal Oak, Michigan. So, simply go through it. Sorry for the poor quality of the picture but it was a sheet that came in a rebuild kit. - Dave

CarbAdjustmentData.jpg
      My latest project:
      CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Thank you Dave

I'm usually pretty good at this kind of stuff, having had Mopar's Chevy's,
        etc. Never too many Ford's.
        Again the ol Turd Bird threw me too many curve balls at once.
        I've been dealing with this car for DECADES from when it was
        my dad's (He bought brand new).
        Ace Fuel in Santa Clara Ca completely went thru this carb
        Re-bush throttle shafts . . . Everything. They've been the go to
        carb shop in the San Jose area for 40 years
        I even sent it back. They did something with the needle & seat.
        It checked out perfect on the flow bench.
        I dunno.
        I am beyond frustrated. That's why I haven't touched it in a month.
        I'll probl screw with it tomorrow.

Thanks again

John

Comment

Bob, it's easy to get overwhelmed with multiple problems. I've given you a laundry list of troubleshooting practices and a site for your carburetor. I do not see where you have honored any of my suggestions. I mean, hey, that's all I can do.
          I hope you muster the gumption to start working on your car again.
          I started out with Pontiac cars, then my first real job was at Chrysler Corp. After that layoff (Christmas time in 1969) I went to Ford. So, Ford was not my first rodeo either.

We all start out the exact same, knowing nothing about cars. I made them a hobby, then a career.
          I've learned that the worst lemon can be turned around if the car is in the right hands. - Dave
          My latest project:

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

First of all, is your name Bob or John, LOL!! Anyway, I'm on the fuel pressure "train" too.
            3-4 PSI sounds like about all the stock needles/seats will take. Sometimes you get
            "lucky" and can go up to 6.

One option if you don't want to touch fuel system is this.... (but I would still at least test fuel pressure)

Like was stated 3-4 psi with stock needle and seats. I use the Edelbrock Hi-Po needle and seat assemblies that I get from Jegs or Summit. They are available everywhere. With those needle and seats you can run up to 18 psi without a problem...........

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...er-afb.683633/
            59-430-HT

Comment

I went through years of **** with my Edelbrock carb after it had been bulletproof for five or six years. The car ran perfect for a few miles and then started to miss and stall and smoke. Checked the carburetor multi times, rebuilt following instructions on youtube, added heat shield spacer, installed pressure guages, replaced pertronics, installed heat shields on the fuel lines, on and on. Finally I decided that I hate that engine and pulled it. Years ago when I rebuilt it ex wife let it sit outside on stand with no plugs and the cylinders filled with water and the casting was from a 66. When I installed it and spun it red water squirted out from all of cylinders. I was convinced that the cylinders were scored but the engine ran good, just burned oil so I drove it for ten years. Now I pulled the heads to see the damage and the cylinders are perfect but the pistons had a thick coat of carbon from running rich. I haven't looked but I think the rings must have rust damage and that is why it used oil. The valve guides seemed little loose too.
              Then I came upon an obscure post about Edelbrock carbs describing the same symptoms I had. The guy said if you set the floats at spec they tend to overflow. He advised dropping them 1/8th of an inch. Now I have a new engine ready for installation and the old one on a stand and for sale. I got a new carburetor on Ebay that is year specific for my 60 like the new engine and heads. I will save the Edelbrock for backup. I do use later model exhaust manifolds with compression donuts and larger ports and the intake is from a 62 but I am shopping.
              Today I am welding up the holes on the inner fenders before I detail the engine compartment. I should be ready to run the new engine in a couple of weeks. I haven't driven the car in about two years but I keep the registration and insurance up.
              I know the inner fenders should be the same color as the car but does anyone know about the frame and suspension color? i had it painted black but want to get closer to original.

Comment

Originally posted by OX1 View Post
                First of all, is your name Bob or John, LOL!!..
                Yeah, my brain isn't right after dealing with a whole lot of files.
                Sorry John Byers, but for years I worked at Dearborn Assembly with a 'Bob Byers' so I automatically plug 'Bob' in with your last name by default.

Thanks Henry, for waking me up. - Dave

My latest project:

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Funny. That was my dads name
                  I shall now refer to the TBird as "EPF"
                  (Evil Possessed Ford)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that carb is jacked.

Comment

So, the drama continues

I spoke with one of the guys at Thunderbird Headquarters
                    It was on another deal, but we started talking fuel pumps.
                    He says they have none. ALL the new Airtex pumps are
                    defective. They had to send them all back.
                    Guess which kind I have. Guess where they're made . . .
                    You'll only need one guess
                    I bought my airtex on line but . . . Just more crap made
                    in the big C
                    I'll put the Delco Reman back on & see if there's a diff

One of our GM Perf Engines comes with the Holley 670
                    A local shop installed one, but the guy supl his own Edel 650
                    He's going to loan me the Holley (to buy) if it works.
                    It has been run already.
                    It looks to be a very generic carb. Has the hole in the right
                    place for the Ford throttle rod. Square bore, elec choke etc
                    I'm just curious what'll happen.

Comment

John,
                      The big "C" years ago had the sailing ships called the Chinese Junk now the have container ships!
                      Good luck!
                      Bill
                      Bill Gildersleeve
                      58 hard top & 60 convertible

Comment

No go on the Holley 670
                        His cust asked for it back
                        (I guess he did actually pay for it)

He did say though NO HOLLEY'S !!! Just put an Edel 1406
                        on it and call it a day. I guess the ones Summit sells now come
                        with the Inl pipe (Incls threaded ftg. He said I could put a fuel pres
                        gauge there and run a regu (IF) necc.

He said with a stk 390 (W/RV Cam), it's plenty. His thought was
                        with the restrictive exh manifs that these engines are plagued with,
                        ya can't get any air out. Why take too much in.
                        I guess he knows his Fords too.
                        He said, do a plug reading @ 500 mi
                        Poss correction if plugs are white (or any surging @ cruise speed)

Comment

Originally posted by OX1 View Post
                          First of all, is your name Bob or John, LOL!! Anyway, I'm on the fuel pressure "train" too.
                          3-4 PSI sounds like about all the stock needles/seats will take. Sometimes you get
                          "lucky" and can go up to 6.

One option if you don't want to touch fuel system is this.... (but I would still at least test fuel pressure)

Like was stated 3-4 psi with stock needle and seats. I use the Edelbrock Hi-Po needle and seat assemblies that I get from Jegs or Summit. They are available everywhere. With those needle and seats you can run up to 18 psi without a problem...........

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...er-afb.683633/
                          What carb are you running on the 430 ?
                          Now I WISH this thing had one !!
                          More valuable . . . And that 430's gotta
                          just be a BEAST !!!!
                          Last edited by byersmtrco; June 22nd, 2020, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by byersmtrco View Post

What carb are you running on the 430 ?
                            Now I WISH this thing had one !!
                            More valuable . . . And that 430's gotta
                            just be a BEAST !!!!
                            Stock Carter

Don't think it is more valuable, not a super desirable motor by many........

Ever get this fixed up?
                            59-430-HT

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Warning: include(test.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/squar229/public_html/vbulletin/index.php on line 78 Warning: include(test.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/squar229/public_html/vbulletin/index.php on line 78 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'test.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/opt/cpanel/ea-php72/root/usr/share/pear') in /home/squar229/public_html/vbulletin/index.php on line 78