Radio upgrade and seat trim color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio upgrade and seat trim color

Im getting my seats reupholstered so it's a good time to replace the working AM with something more enjoyable. Our suppliers have retrofit FMs, anyone have a comment on how good they work/ sound? Not interested in high end, gonna keep the console speaker.
    And I want to repaint the seat bases. What's the color code for the interior w dark beige light beige?

1960 HT

Comment

If you're asking about a paint code for the dark beige interior color I don't know if you'll find one. You have two choices. Either take a piece into your local auto paint store and have them color match and mix you some vinyl spray or try to match one of the SEM vinyl sprays in a can. They make a number of different tan colors.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

When I re-did the color of the area under the seats, I had the OEM black/White interior trim. The base areas under the seat were black material and they were not painted but glued on, as I remember. In my case, I pulled off that black material and chromed the under seat support sections....

For the 1960 it was MOROCCO GRAIN VINYL BOLSTERS WITH NYLON CORD FABRIC INSERTS Trim Code 74 Dark/Light Biege.

For Morocco Grain Vinyl Bolsters it was Trim Code 54 Dark/Light Biege.

For Leather it was Trim Code 84 Tan/Tan (Light Biege.

Your picture looks to be the Dark Biege color....
        FABRIC INSERTS

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

Thank you. The chrome looks amazing!

Comment

Trim code 54. Thanks for that. Doesn't anyone have an opinion on a better radio? What I see on fleabay goes for $600+. Our suppliers have a couple selections, any opinions out there?

Comment

I used a Custom Auto Sound # USA 740. Adequate for what I wanted. It has Bluetooth and a USB connector. I also used Kicker KS dual speakers which fit in the regular 6X9 hole. However you have to clearance the trans tunnel for the extra speaker base. I then made a filler piece and welded it in.

Comment

That's a great idea. Hard to find a shallow enough speaker to fit there. After calling around, I think the 740 is my only option. Thank you for your insight

Comment

On my last squarebird many years ago I replaced the speaker with two 3" speakers. They fit without modifying the tunnel. I connected a 1/8" stereo jack to them that I hid in the ash tray. Back then I plugged it into my mp3 player. Of course today you'd plug it into your smartphone. I'm not sure how loud it would be. It seemed ok back then.

John
                  John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                  jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

In response to the post regarding interior colors, Carl Heller ~ partsetal, sent me this SEM Paint Color Chart that might be a help to those of you who are trying to figure out which color to go with. I realize that there might be a difference in displaying colors on a computer screen vs actually seeing it with your own eyes. However, this might be helpful to you. At least we have a good color breakdown by SEM to look at. Once you click on the SEM Paint image, you can left click on it and it should bring it up larger to make it easier to read. You can also right click on it and save it to your Computer for future reference. Thanks, Carl!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178
                    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

I might add that this chart is over 20 years old but I've found that the colors are still available I think SEM also has a chart showing additional colors to match the simple interiors of today. You can google the color number and find these colors at many vendors and at many prices. Carl

Comment

Awesome! Thank you.

Comment

I had Gary Tayman do his AM/FM conversion on the stock radio in my '60. He keeps the front face plate, and the knobs and buttons function as usual, and also have some added functionality for left/right & front/back balancing. It is 4x40W set-up and can be hooked up to 1, 2 or 4 speakers. I put 4" speakers in the front kick panels and added 2 under-seat enclosures in front and eliminated the console speaker. I was happy with the result.
                          Stereo Conversions, new stereos, speakers and accessories, for antique and collector vehicles
                          Regards,
                          Don Vincent
                          Amherst NY
                          1960 HT 352
                          TBird Registry 34042

Comment

I have a powered driver's seat. Is there room under the seat to put a speaker box there. Passenger's side no problem...

Comment

I have updated the AM radios in several of my classics with great results. The important thing is to find someone who will keep the original radio face and dial and still give you the features and power you want. They basically gut your OE radio and put in today’s technology. At a minimum, go for Bluetooth and a 1/8” connector that you can hide in the ashtray (front or rear of console) or glovebox. Don’t forget about how much power output you want and make sure you have speaker leads for two front and two rear speakers...even if you plan to only use the console speaker. I have also had good results with the two 3” speakers that can be easily installed in the console in place of the OE single speaker. You can find them sold by a couple of the T-Bird suppliers.

As for converters, you can find several listed in Hemmings, though I found a really terrific guy who does high quality work based in AZ. Go to www.barrys8trackrepair.com and check him out.

Neil
                              CUUL59

Comment

Working...
                              X