Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• simplyconnected
    replied
    Baronsass, I highly recommend your heads have hardened exhaust seats. This requires a machine shop. There are other improvements I recommend for used heads (like a valve job) but quite frankly, why not buy new Edelbrock aluminum heads? They're already machined and assembled with new springs, valves, valve guides, valve seats and viton seals. All the holes come with stainless helicoils, aluminum transfers heat 4X faster than iron and weight savings is substantial.

Yes, Edelbrock Performer RPM heads are expensive but well worth the money. I would also buy the aluminum manifold to match, and shed another 30 pounds. John is right, these heads will only fit a 390/427 because the valves will hit cylinder walls on a 352.

I would only suggest a C6 if you haul a trailer or pull stumps. It taxes more overhead HP than your C-O-M and is more suited for trucks.

The 5/8" tube can be found at your local auto parts store. It's called 'waterpump bypass tube' by most stores. It's also available on eBay and HERE.
    These are straight tubes that you pound in with a block of wood and an hammer. They are also too long (4") so they need to be cut with a hacksaw. Edelbrock manifolds come without the tube but inserting one is no biggie. They're only a few bucks, not ten, and made by 'Standard' or other well-known brands. - Dave

Leave a comment:

• baronsass
    replied
    Thank you! That answers my question. It really is kinda "right there" isn't it... Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• sidewalkman
    replied
    The pan does sit real close, my 352 pan is almost resting on it, maybe 3/4"

Leave a comment:

• baronsass
    replied
    And... One more.... The oil pan... is it supposed to sit as close to the crossmember on my Bird as it does? It seems like it's almost resting on it.

Leave a comment:

• baronsass
    replied
    Quick question for all - is there anything worth keeping from my old 352? I've gone with the 390 heads, the old intake (it was just excellent), the old exhaust manifolds, but everything else is basically either getting replaced with new, or just of no use anymore. Are the old 352 heads something that's of any use, possibly even resellable? Do tell, gents!

Leave a comment:

• baronsass
    replied
    It's a later intake, but from a 352. The pipe in it now is the straight type.

Leave a comment:

• jopizz
    replied
    Are you reusing the original '58 intake manifold or using a later 352/390 intake. The original '58 intake had the sender in the pipe and was 7/8". Newer 352/390 intakes used the straight 5/8" pipe.

John

Leave a comment:

• baronsass
    replied
    Awesome. This is great info. Thanks jopizz. You da best.

Leave a comment:

• jopizz
    replied
    The new one should be plenty long enough. You want at least 1/4-1/2" gap between the intake pipe and the water pump pipe. As long as you can get the full width of the clamp on it without being on the flare you are fine. I would split the old one using a chisel and use a vise grip to tear it out. Some WD-40 or Liquid Wrench usually helps. Normally it's rusted to the point where it comes out pretty easily. Clean the opening with some fine sandpaper after you get it out. You don't want any rust or burrs causing a leak. If you have trouble pressing the new one in try putting it in the freezer first. That may shrink it enough to make it go in easier. I usually put some Permatex sealer around it.

John

Leave a comment:

• baronsass
    replied
    Awesome - thanks, jopizz. Mine doesn't have the temp sender, so it's just the straight pipe for me. It this somewhat longer than the original? Think I can knock my old one out pretty readily, or should I tread very carefully? I don't want to damage the manifold.

Leave a comment:

• jopizz
    replied
    If yours has the temp sender in the pipe you will need this one.

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_t...8-1958-59.html

John

Leave a comment:

• jopizz
    replied
    New ones are readily available. They are just a press fit.

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_t...g-1958-66.html

John

Leave a comment:

• baronsass
    replied
    My 352 - 390 swap is rolling along quite nicely, but I've run into a "small" issue... The coolant bypass tube that runs into the intake manifold. These seem to have been designed kinda poorly by Ford back in the day - by that, I mean they're short. That said, my old 352 ran for years with that short thing providing coolant to my engine. My question is - can they be readily replaced with something longer? Adapted with an insert? Mine seems VERY attached to the intake. Given that fluid is fed into the engine under pressure through this tube, I'd like some thing a bit longer, and hence reassuring to attach my hoses. Let me know what you guys think.

Leave a comment:

• YellowRose
    replied
    I have taken the information regarding "FE" Engine Bore & Stroke Measurements, added comments on how to check to see if you do have a 352, or other engine, and put it in the TRL. Look down in the Engine section in the 352CI Engine information and you will find it there. Or use the Find feature that Dave gave us a long time ago, (Ctrl F (F for Find). Type in 352CI and it should take you right to it. Thanks, John and Dave for the information.

Leave a comment:

• baronsass
    replied
    Then it's COM for the win! Mine doesn't leak but is old and worn. My tranny guy is absolutely adamant that the rebuild will be pretty easy, so I think I'll go that way.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X