No announcement yet.

352 to 390 swap

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    It's a later intake, but from a 352. The pipe in it now is the straight type.


    • #17
      Quick question for all - is there anything worth keeping from my old 352? I've gone with the 390 heads, the old intake (it was just excellent), the old exhaust manifolds, but everything else is basically either getting replaced with new, or just of no use anymore. Are the old 352 heads something that's of any use, possibly even resellable? Do tell, gents!


      • #18
        And... One more.... The oil pan... is it supposed to sit as close to the crossmember on my Bird as it does? It seems like it's almost resting on it.


        • #19
          The pan does sit real close, my 352 pan is almost resting on it, maybe 3/4"
          South Delta, BC, Canada
          1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
          Red Leather Interior!

          Thunderbird Registry #61266


          • #20
            Thank you! That answers my question. It really is kinda "right there" isn't it... Thanks again.


            • #21
              Baronsass, I highly recommend your heads have hardened exhaust seats. This requires a machine shop. There are other improvements I recommend for used heads (like a valve job) but quite frankly, why not buy new Edelbrock aluminum heads? They're already machined and assembled with new springs, valves, valve guides, valve seats and viton seals. All the holes come with stainless helicoils, aluminum transfers heat 4X faster than iron and weight savings is substantial.

              Yes, Edelbrock Performer RPM heads are expensive but well worth the money. I would also buy the aluminum manifold to match, and shed another 30 pounds. John is right, these heads will only fit a 390/427 because the valves will hit cylinder walls on a 352.

              I would only suggest a C6 if you haul a trailer or pull stumps. It taxes more overhead HP than your C-O-M and is more suited for trucks.

              The 5/8" tube can be found at your local auto parts store. It's called 'waterpump bypass tube' by most stores. It's also available on eBay and HERE.
              These are straight tubes that you pound in with a block of wood and an hammer. They are also too long (4") so they need to be cut with a hacksaw. Edelbrock manifolds come without the tube but inserting one is no biggie. They're only a few bucks, not ten, and made by 'Standard' or other well-known brands. - Dave

              My latest project:
              CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

              "We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

              From: Royal Oak, Michigan