Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Color Difference between Console/Moulding and Seats/Carpets?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimGold59
    Apprentice
    • Feb 14 2020

Color Difference between Console/Moulding and Seats/Carpets?

Picture of interior for our 1959 convertible K 5Y below. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the difference between the tan color of the seats/carpets (which we believe are original) and the console and moldings, which seem to be much more "orange." The data plate shows it's a tan/white 5Y. Is the difference due to different materials aging differently? Prior owners leaving the car in the sun with the top down? Is it just the molding techniques in 1959 couldn't match colors as exactly? Maybe the console and moldings are aftermarket replacements? I've looked at other 1959 tan/white interiors online and there does seem to be a similar orange tint in console/moldings, but maybe not as pronounced. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by JimGold59; February 22, 2020, 04:09 AM.
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

That seems to be normal for that color combination. I've had one or two Squarebirds with that color interior and the vinyl that was used on the console, door sills and seat surround always seems to fade to that lighter orange color. I chalk it up to different materials being used and how they react to the sun. SEM makes a number of vinyl sprays in tan so if you are interested in respraying those parts you may be able to get a much closer match. I've used their products many times on interiors and they work very well.

Ray Clark mentioned that you were looking for touch up paint. There are a number of on-line paint retailers that cater to older cars. Automotivetouchup.com is one that I have used. They have paint available in spray cans as well as small bottles. It appears that you have color code K sandstone metallic Ford color M30J-1073. It was also a Lincoln color. If you don't see it listed you can call and they can most likely mix it for you. However trying to match metallic paint is extremely difficult and more so considering the age. If it's just a few small paint chips you may be ok ordering paint on line to match. For anything larger I would look for a local auto paint store and bring them something from the exterior so they can match it exactly.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• OUR5T8BIRD
      Experienced
      • Mar 1 2017

What I find interesting in your pictures is the dash pad . If you look at the picture in this posting and the number four picture in the other post , the dash pad comes down and around and tucks under about two or so inches just like an original pad for '58 and '59 . The new replacement pads, and the '60 original if not mistaking, went down under and all the way to and behind the glove box door and instrument cluster . The '58 and '59 original continued with metal dash to and behind the glove box door and instrument cluster . If yours is an original it is in excellent shape where most are drooped way down in the middle of the area in front of the box and cluster . If restored , they did an excellent job . If new, someone had to modify it like the original . That is what I did with my original 'replacement ' pad when restoring my '58 .

Beautiful sample of a '59 convertible . Enjoy the ride .

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I've also modified the new dashes to fit the '58-early '59 dash frame. It's certainly nerve racking cutting a $500 dash pad but they don't fit the older frames correctly if you don't. Apparently mid-'59 was when they changed the design of the dash frame. Those and the '60's are certainly much easier to mount a new dash pad.

John

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

According to the Data Plate on Jim's Tbird, it is a 24F, built on or about the 24th of June, with the 22nd of August being the production ending. So it might have had the newer 1960 style on the car when it left the factory.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

He has the old style dash according to the pictures. It's possible the changeover was much later than mid-year and more toward the end of the production run. I've only had one '59 with the '60 style dash but I didn't make note of when it was built.

John

Comment

• OUR5T8BIRD
              Experienced
              • Mar 1 2017

Originally posted by jopizz
              I've also modified the new dashes to fit the '58-early '59 dash frame. It's certainly nerve racking cutting a $500 dash pad but they don't fit the older frames correctly if you don't. Apparently mid-'59 was when they changed the design of the dash frame. Those and the '60's are certainly much easier to mount a new dash pad.

John
              I know what you mean John about it being nerve wracking . Luckily for me, I had two ' original ' replacement '60 pads but still wary about making that cut . Worked out well however and glad I did it . Just could not get that dash pad to fit properly behind the glove box and instrument cluster . Couple of cold beers after that job went well.

Martin.

Comment

• JimGold59
                Apprentice
                • Feb 14 2020

Thank you John for the excellent tips and to OUR5T8BIRD and Ray for finding interesting points in the pictures regarding the dash. Appreciate all the help!

Comment

• Pat in Ma
                  Experienced
                  • Dec 30 2018

Hi Jim,

I just wanted you to know that my 59 hardtop has the same fading/color changes as well and I think it's a mostly original interior.
                  Sorry i don't have a better picture of the color changes but you can see some of it in this one picture. You have a beautiful car
                  and hope you really enjoy cruising around with the top down.

Pat M.
                  Monson, MA
                  1959 HT Hickory Tan, Thunderbird registry #77617

Comment

• JimGold59
                    Apprentice
                    • Feb 14 2020

Pat, thanks so much for the picture. Nice to see it confirmed. We just bought this tan console piece in the same color tan (orange-ish) color so we can use it as a practice piece with the SEM sprays that John recommends. We figure that's better than seeing how close of a match we can get with the originals. Will report back with results after we experiment a bit. Thanks again.

Comment

• YellowRose
                      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Jim, before you start spraying that center console, talk with John about it. I think he has said in the past that when you do something like that, you first need to clean it off really well, then spray it with some SEM prep spray. Here is a video on prepping and painting plastic pieces..

Here is a video on how I painted the plastic pieces on my 1987 Deutz-Allis 613 Special Lawn Mower that I restored in Memory of my Uncle David.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
                        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It's nothing too complicated. Just clean the parts with soap and water. Rinse well to remove any residue, let dry and apply the vinyl prep spray according to the instructions.

John

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎