60 DOOR LOCKS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60 DOOR LOCKS

What goes in the end of the door lock cylinder? There was nothing attached to it when i took it out, and i dont see any loose rods hanging or lying in door. Thanks KENN 60 BIRD DOOR LOCKS.JPG
    WHITE 60 HARDTOP AND 54 FORD SEDAN CUSTOMLINE TBIRD REGISTRY #61860 920-286-2277

Kenn
    the attached photo may be of use. This is taken inside the door, looking at the internal part if the lock showing the horseshoe spring clip that holds the lock in place.
    Jon
    Jon
    Deepest Hertfordshire
    Old enough to know I'm right...
    1960 Hardtop T'bird
    1961 Hotchkiss M201

Comment

Thanks for the awesome picture. Looks like the h shaped lever is missing. I ordered new locks, but wont get levers till i see if pass side is missing too. 64-31012-370x370fit-width.jpg
      WHITE 60 HARDTOP AND 54 FORD SEDAN CUSTOMLINE TBIRD REGISTRY #61860 920-286-2277

Comment

Kenn, Carl ~ partsetal or John Draxler of Tbird Ranch may have them in stock used... It looks like you will need at least one... Carl is often on here, and he will be able to tell you. John Draxler is best caught by sending him an email. You can get that off his website. You will find his contact information in the Advertisements Forum...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

THANKS RAY, I will know more when i can get to the other door.

Comment

Im having difficulties with my door locks as well. I removed the door panel and by exercising the key lock, it appears it isnt engaging the "h" arm. All the internal mechanism have been oiled and function smoothly, the tumbler turns when disconnected from the "h" but binds when connected, to the point that the key could break. I also notice that my "h" has a small spring on it whereas the photos above do not. (???)
            Im guessing that the key tumbler has a broken / jammed whatchamacallit internally.
            'Educatd thoughts please!!!

Comment

If the key lock turns freely when it's disconnected from the H arm then it doesn't sound like you have a problem with the lock. It still sounds like you have some resistance somewhere in the door lock mechanisms or one of the linkages. It may seem like it moves freely by hand but you still may be using much more force than the key generates. As for the spring I've seen them missing more times than not. It's just there to keep pressure on the H arm so it doesn't fall out of the lock when you remove the lock assembly from the door.

John
              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
              jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

It will lock with some resistance but will not unlock. If i do manage to get the key to the unlocked position, the mechanism will still not unlock, in fact it looks like the lock is spinning around the h arm.
                Is there a trick to seating the h arm into the lock tumbler?

Comment

Are you sure that the socket of the lock cylinder that connects to the H arm isn't broken. I've seen many times when from forcing the lock cylinder it breaks and the H arm will just spin.

John

Comment

That might very well be the issue...
                    i will attempt to extract the lock tomorrow, if i read correctly on another post I should be able to pull the retaining spring plate hidden behind the door weatherstripping and take the lock out. Are there any pics of what the lock should look like?

Comment

If you look at the lock cylinder pictures in the first post of the thread you will see a thin groove where the H arm goes into. Once the H arm is in it can't spin. If the lock cylinder is broken that small groove will be much bigger or completely gone.

John

Comment

As a followup, how do i re-seat the lock into the retaining plate and align the "h" bar with the lock when I reinstall it?
                        If I need to obtain a replacement lock assy, (probable) is it possible to swap the tumblers so that I can retain the same key?

As always I deeply appreciate ALL the insights given here for the many newbie questions I have!

Comment

When you reinstall the lock cylinder make sure the H arm has the prongs in the correct orientation. The curved prong should be oriented as per the picture in post #2. You'll be able to feel when the prongs go into the holes. Getting the retaining plate to lock in the cylinder can be tricky but with the door panel off it's a little easier to get it started. The tumblers can be taken out but it's delicate work as there are also very tiny springs.

John

Comment

I removed the lock assembly and sure enough, there is a fracture in the groove for the "h" bar which flexes when I turn the key with back pressure.
                            Fortunately i live close enough to Dennis Carpenter Parts so I will replace it today. A little apprehensive about re-installing the lock with the retaining plate issue but its all fun, right?

Thanks again!

Comment

The biggest problem with the retaining clip is that the tips can get bent and won't slide between the lock and the door skin. This makes installing it with the door panel on really frustrating. However with the door panel off you can slide the retaining clip in and push the prongs between the lock and door with your hand to get it started and then slide it in the rest of the way.

John

Comment

Working...
                              X