Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OX1
    Super-Experienced
    • Feb 10 2016

Is the engine bay (motor mount stanchions) already set up for the 460?
    59-430-HT

Comment

• 60BattleBird
      Apprentice
      • Nov 30 2019

Originally posted by simplyconnected
      By all means, Leonard. We would LOVE to see your progress, especially in pictures. Take hundreds of them as you go.

I will be doing a 390 restoration later this Spring, so we may be doing them simultaneously. I already have lots of pictures but as you will later discover, that one picture that you need to see will be missing. I take my pictures with about 5k of resolution, then pare them down to 800 pix wide to post. Sometimes I crop them to show a specific area of the pic (which can only be done if the original has high res.). I find it helpful to buy a 128GB USB drive so all my pictures are together and away from my hard drive. - Dave
      Awesome, thanks man I'll definitely start to post updates in this thread. I recently had a back procedure done, thus the reason for my absence, however I should be back to it soon. Thanks again for all the help and insight!

Comment

• 60BattleBird
        Apprentice
        • Nov 30 2019

Originally posted by Derbird
        Mine came from classic sheet metal and fit real well. I believe that are making them for almost everyone else.
        when I put install a panel I use a backer metal strip and sheet metal screws to get the panel in place first. Then short stitch welds spaced out. To grind the welds I started using a cut off wheel to get the bulk of the weld. The cut off wheel does not put as much heat in the metal and produces allot less warping.
        I really appreciate the insight on the welding tips/strategy; this is an area I'm going to have to practice quite a bit before actually working on the car itself.

Comment

• 60BattleBird
          Apprentice
          • Nov 30 2019

Originally posted by OX1
          Is the engine bay (motor mount stanchions) already set up for the 460?
          As you can see from the pictures, if those are the 460 mounts, they ain't pretty lol. Pretty sure I'll need to remove those things are find a better set/solution.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• OX1
            Super-Experienced
            • Feb 10 2016

Originally posted by 60BattleBird

As you can see from the pictures, if those are the 460 mounts, they ain't pretty lol. Pretty sure I'll need to remove those things are find a better set/solution.
            Reason I asked was if it was set up for a 460, I'd take that all day long over a 390.
            Nothing wrong with the 390, but even a mild 460 with 70 more cubes and stock smog motor
            heads puts out a ridiculous amount of power with moderate intake/cam/exh...........

A had an 83 "junkyard" motor pulled out of beat to death 2WD F350. No rebuild, just re-gasket.
            Dropped a higher RPM cam and moderately high rise intake, headers and duals, 750 DP carb.
            It spun up locked, 1 ton axles with 800 lbs of 44" boggers, like they were 235's from and 88 Bronco II
            (actually I had an 88 BII, it could barely spin the stock tires in the snow, LOL!!).

(old video, best to watch @ reduced screen size).

Best part was no alum heads or even premium gas needed and if you can find a C6, I'd take that
            over whatever trans in in these birds now. I've had one in my rock crawler for 17 years now.
            Not sure what you have to do to kill one.

Only reason my bird is not getting a 460/C6 is the 430 is unique and a real cool conversation piece at the shows

59-430-HT

Comment

• Pat in Ma
              Experienced
              • Dec 30 2018

Those look like the stock mounts with an extra hole drilled in them to fit the different block. I'm probably mistaken but they
              do look just like the originals I just pulled from my stock 352 with the exception of the top bolt hole near the very corner.
              Can anyone else confirm my thoughts or are all the mounts pretty similar?
              Pat M.
              Monson, MA
              1959 HT Hickory Tan, Thunderbird registry #77617

Comment

• 60BattleBird
                Apprentice
                • Nov 30 2019

Originally posted by Pat in Ma
                Those look like the stock mounts with an extra hole drilled in them to fit the different block. I'm probably mistaken but they
                do look just like the originals I just pulled from my stock 352 with the exception of the top bolt hole near the very corner.
                Can anyone else confirm my thoughts or are all the mounts pretty similar?
                Oh wow, that's interesting because it sure looks that way.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎