X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spk99
    Experienced
    • Oct 25 2018

Windlace clips

Hi everyone, how do you secure your new windlace clips?
    once in the hole they need opening at the back so they don’t fall out but there’s no way to get to the back?
    such a simple job turning into a nightmare.
    has anyone put new clips in?
  • p38fighter
    Super-Experienced
    • Oct 14 2016

These are different from the originals. They are a pain and you will ruin a few before you get it right. Use a good pair of needle nose and squeeze hard after you insert the tangs in the hole. Then simply fold over the catch onto your windlace. If this doesn't help come back to me. Chris
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 30 2009

I just used some thin wire thru the holes and thru the windlace. nobody sees these clips anyways.
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• Spk99
        Experienced
        • Oct 25 2018

Thanks Chris - a little embarrassed I didn't work that out myself!! Worked a treat.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
          Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Steve no need to be embarrassed as these guys/ gals are good and that's why this is the best TBird site on the planet
          Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
          Thunderbird Registry
          58HT #33317
          60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• del
            Retired Expert Enthusiast
            • May 11 2010

Hi Steve I'm wondering about your (presumably? ) new windlace...When I replaced mine several years ago, what I got was pretty far from matching the original in both construction and design. The outer fabric was some sort of polyester and frayed on contact. Worse was the profile of the foam inner core. The original had a tail that gives those clips something to bite into. The replacement had a simple circular core. First pic is a shot of the original in place with the clips, second is side-by-side comparison with the original on the right.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 2 photos.
            Regards,
            Don Vincent
            Amherst NY
            1960 HT 352
            TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• p38fighter
              Super-Experienced
              • Oct 14 2016

Don, Two years ago I got "new" fabric covered ones also. Mine were very delicate and very easy to snag.
              I'm going to change them out for vinyl covered which I can source or have my upholstery guy make up. Chris

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

Originally posted by p38fighter
                ...I'm going to change them out for vinyl covered which I can source or have my upholstery guy make up. Chris
                That's right. I've sewn a lot of windlace using different size rod (inner core) and different marine vinyls. The end result is really nice with either a contrasting color, co-ordinated color or simply using the same seat and door panel vinyl. Making piping is the same but much smaller in size. - Dave
                Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Spk99
                  Experienced
                  • Oct 25 2018

Hi Del, Yes the new windlace I have got looks like the photo of the new one you have. The core is just round with no tail. However, I assumed that was the only option. Is there an alternative available anywhere?

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎