Announcement

Collapse

PLEASE RELOAD YOUR AVATAR. You shouldn't have any problems doing this, now. Thanks again for the delay but now it is over. - Dave
See more
See less

great deal on Aluminum radiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ya i clean my old one out pretty good with vinegar and baking soda. It worked but wasnt as efficient as i liked. Now the temp drops within a minute of moving as before it was closer to 4 or 5.
    1959 Thunderbird 397ci
    Cruise-O-Matic
    Flamingo Pink.
    Thunderbird Registry #8442
    Daily driver

Comment

Deposits in a radiator are similar to deposits on a furnace humidifier. Phosphoric acid works well. It can be found in CLR or Ospho or Krud Kutter's Must For Rust. A lower concentration is included in good antifreeze. Anyway, I heat it up (because acids work better when warm) and let it soak in my radiator. (Phosphoric acid is also found in Coca-Cola.) The acid will not attack your metal but it sure dissolves mineral and oxide deposits. As it does, the acid neutralizes (gets weaker) and with all acids, plain water neutralizes it for organic disposal.

I like Ospho (as in, ph-ospho-ric). Must For Rust is my second choice. It isn't cheap but either brand has good concentration and my ACE Hardware store carries them. I've seen mag wheel cleaner with phosphoric acid as well. Check the label. - Dave
      My latest project:
      CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Originally posted by simplyconnected View Post
        I'm curious as to whether copper or aluminum build deposits sooner or if that is a factor. I know copper radiators can have a tank-half removed for the cores to be reamed or 'rodded'. I don't know if aluminum radiators can be rodded.deposits, then flushing the deposits out.
        In my experience, one would find the aluminum radiator more sensitive to the type and quality of the coolant from the deposit accumulation subject. and I am not aware that "rodding" of the aluminum radiator core would be as beneficial as the oxidants tend to bond more tightly to the aluminum alloy vs. the copper-brass, the aluminum proving to be the anode in the bi-metal structure also collects the free iron (oxides) adrift in the coolant, creating an additional disruptive insulatory effect.

Besides, the construction of most of the aluminum radiators does not lend them to being disassembled and reassembled for the process anyway.

Scott.

Comment

Working...
        X