Announcement

Collapse

PLEASE RELOAD YOUR AVATAR. You shouldn't have any problems doing this, now. Thanks again for the delay but now it is over. - Dave
See more
See less

great deal on Aluminum radiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• great deal on Aluminum radiator

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302946847173

So after lengthy research i decided to purchase this. Yes brass conducts heat better than aluminum but its also a design thing to look at. It is half the cost of another oem or high efficient oem. Reason i am purchasing is because my old one is starting to leak where the transmission line goes in. That by itself isn't enough but it appears that it was repaired there before and that repair or patch is failing. Also there is some corrosion and wear that you would expect from a 40 year old radiator. **** it may be the original one for all i know. Any who just wanted to share this. I will update everyone on the efficiency of the new aluminum radiator in about 2 weeks when i get it in.
    1959 Thunderbird 397ci
    Cruise-O-Matic
    Flamingo Pink.
    Thunderbird Registry #8442
    Daily driver

It will be interesting to read your follow up on the aluminum radiator. Everything I ever read, says the aluminum radiator provides better heat transfer and cooling. Since our old Birds have the tendancy to run hot, it will be great to hear how it works out.
    Nyles

Comment

Originally posted by StealthSRT10 View Post
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/302946847173

Yes brass conducts heat better than aluminum .
      This is a true statement, but perhaps the other engineering of the aluminum unit can overcome this deficiency.

Scott.

Comment

Even cast iron will transfer heat if you have enough surface area. That is what all home radiators were made of back in the day, not copper. Why? because of cost. Silver is much better than copper but who can afford a silver radiator?

Modern suppliers boast about how new aluminum radiators have more surface area than the old copper radiators. That's because they NEED more surface to transfer heat compare with copper.

I've often thought about making my own copper radiator or oil cooler because copper is easy to construct and repair. The only part I cannot accomplish is, making the tubes thin enough. The rest is easy. - Dave
        My latest project:
        CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Originally posted by pbf777 View Post

This is a true statement, but perhaps the other engineering of the aluminum unit can overcome this deficiency.

Scott.
          Thats exactly what i was finding in my research. It seems the 2 row aluminum is equevlant to a 5 row brass. But in any statement like that there are assumptions that are taken for granted. But non the less i believe that it will operate better than my current one. also it will look kinda snazzy in the engine bay. but i will definatly let everyone know how it turns out and will post some pictures as well.
          1959 Thunderbird 397ci
          Cruise-O-Matic
          Flamingo Pink.
          Daily driver

Comment

so it came in yesterday and looks pretty nice. ill post a pic in a bit
            1959 Thunderbird 397ci
            Cruise-O-Matic
            Flamingo Pink.
            Daily driver

Comment

1959 Thunderbird 397ci
              Cruise-O-Matic
              Flamingo Pink.
              Daily driver

Comment

Thanks for keeping us up to date on this. Following thread closely to see your conclusion on the rad.
                thanks,
                Al

Comment

thanks. i insulated my cargo trailer this weekend but interior going back in tbird this week and hopefully radiator.
                  1959 Thunderbird 397ci
                  Cruise-O-Matic
                  Flamingo Pink.
                  Daily driver

Comment

1959 Thunderbird 397ci
                    Cruise-O-Matic
                    Flamingo Pink.
                    Daily driver

Comment

fitment was perfect but i forgot to get the adapters to hook trans lines back up
                      1959 Thunderbird 397ci
                      Cruise-O-Matic
                      Flamingo Pink.
                      Daily driver

Comment

still waiting on the fittings to come in. but in the meantime i have had time to add some dyna mat and install a small 200w 2 channel amp to power some speakers. and move the drivers seat back.
                        1959 Thunderbird 397ci
                        Cruise-O-Matic
                        Flamingo Pink.
                        Daily driver

Comment

ok so i drove it about 50 miles to work today and keep in mind it was oly 75 outside but the gauge never got more than half past the M in TEMP. Before it would ride the middle of the P. We will see how she does when it warms up but im very happy with it so far.
                          1959 Thunderbird 397ci
                          Cruise-O-Matic
                          Flamingo Pink.
                          Daily driver

Comment

Well had the full test now and i have to give a full two thumbs up on the aluminum radiator. I wish i would have replaced it along time ago. best 250 i have spent on the car to date.
                            1959 Thunderbird 397ci
                            Cruise-O-Matic
                            Flamingo Pink.
                            Daily driver

Comment

I'm glad you're back in business and you solved your cooling problems.

Cooling capacity depends on a system of coolant flow (gpm and temp), air flow (cfm and temp) and the radiator's ability to shed heat as opposed to how much heat the engine generates. It's important to keep those cores clear of lime and deposits. It's also important to keep the head gaskets from rusting the coolant holes through. Good antifreeze that is changed periodically will do just that. Cheap, spent or no antifreeze will not.

I'm curious as to whether copper or aluminum build deposits sooner or if that is a factor. I know copper radiators can have a tank-half removed for the cores to be reamed or 'rodded'. I don't know if aluminum radiators can be rodded. 'Rodding' is simply a process of running an oil dipstick through the cores to clear deposits, then flushing the deposits out. Rust is always bad but lime deposits are worse.
                              My latest project:
                              CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                              X