Announcement

Collapse

AVATARS

PLEASE RELOAD YOUR AVATAR. You shouldn't have any problems doing this, now. Thanks again for the delay but now it is over. - Dave
See more
See less

Thinking about a 6R80 transmission swap

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Thinking about a 6R80 transmission swap

    So really thinking about this. Its not very cheap to do it but i figure in the future if/ when my 390 blows up i can swap a coyote into it and ill already have the transmission. I know they have the 4L60E transmission swap which would roughly be $2k cheeper but also has a 3.06 first and .70 4th ratio vs the 6R80 at 4.17 first and .69 od in sixth.

    https://www.jegs.com/i/Performance-A...68106/10002/-1


    1959 Thunderbird 397ci
    Cruise-O-Matic
    Flamingo Pink.
    Thunderbird Registry #8442
    Daily driver

  • #2
    That should be a good swap. The coyote is based on the 351W, that we know fits with plenty of spare room. I love the idea of an overdrive trans.
    If you decide to get rid of your old and tired 390, let me know. - Dave
    My latest project:
    CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

    "We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

    From: Royal Oak, Michigan

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm not saying it won't work, but I would advise one to research this carefully before one leaps, particularly concerning the "Transmission Controller" and its ability to "PROPERLY" control this transmission in one's specific application.

      Scott.

      Comment


      • #4
        If you are considering the swap of the 6R80 transmission because you do intend to swap in a 5.0L Coyote engine (sooner or later), then I would recommend doing the transmission and engine simultaneously as although the singular expenditure seems great, it will prove far cheaper and far fewer frustrations than in the stages you are suggesting.

        And, I would point out that the best product for this swap, as it is engineered intentionally for retrofits not originally equipped with such, would be the Ford Racing #M-9000-PMCA, 5.0L Coyote engine & 6R80 transmission assy. w/ control pack PCM & installation kit. No, it does not provide every thing one will need for the conversion into one's T-Bird, but at least you know the sum of the available components will function as per Ford intentions, which based on my personal experiences is more than I can say with many other products. We have sold several of these to customers with early Mustangs, Cobra "kit" cars and others, and have had better results than that experienced by those who attempt the retro-fit via the salvage yard scouring process.

        Scott.

        Comment


        • #5
          I'd wait a bit for a used 7.3. Will be smaller than coyote (cept maybe intake height) and way more low end torque.
          When these come out, not going to be many reasons to put a coyote in something, unless you plan on way over 500 HP
          with a blower or turbo.
          59-430-HT

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by OX1 View Post
            I'd wait a bit for a used 7.3. Will be smaller than coyote (cept maybe intake height) and way more low end torque.
            When these come out, not going to be many reasons to put a coyote in something, unless you plan on way over 500 HP
            with a blower or turbo.
            well if it was gonna be a diesel i would go with a 6.0l vs a 7.3l. lol but im assuming you meant a 429 or 460
            1959 Thunderbird 397ci
            Cruise-O-Matic
            Flamingo Pink.
            Thunderbird Registry #8442
            Daily driver

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by StealthSRT10 View Post

              well if it was gonna be a diesel i would go with a 6.0l vs a 7.3l. lol but im assuming you meant a 429 or 460
              Uuuuh!. Nope, I meant the new 7.3 OHV gasser, Godzilla. 430HP/475Ft Lbs I believe it will be rated at.

              https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...details-specs/

              Can't wait till they are around, going to stick one in my early bronco.
              59-430-HT

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by OX1 View Post

                Uuuuh!. Nope, I meant the new 7.3 OHV gasser, Godzilla. 430HP/475Ft Lbs I believe it will be rated at.

                https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...details-specs/

                Can't wait till they are around, going to stick one in my early bronco.
                oh ya i remember seeing that a while back. It would likely be awhile before they have any decent support for that. But would be cool none the less.
                1959 Thunderbird 397ci
                Cruise-O-Matic
                Flamingo Pink.
                Thunderbird Registry #8442
                Daily driver

                Comment


                • #9
                  This 7.3L engine with it's intended applications, and resultant state of tune, will probably not receive the attention from the performance aftermarket you may be hoping for for, and if so, such would probably be several years down the road, so don't hold your breath;............... but I suppose you never know!

                  If you want something along this line of engine (no not pushrod, but a truck motor) one could search out the 6.2L engine (spark ignition) from say the Raptor trucks, as some of these should be finding their way to the second hand market by now. This also would not be an easy conversion either, but at least its' been out and about for a decade or so, and their was an attempt to inject it into the performance seen, although as I suspect will be with the 7.3L, somewhat unsuccessful.

                  Scott.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by pbf777 View Post
                    This 7.3L engine with it's intended applications, and resultant state of tune, will probably not receive the attention from the performance aftermarket you may be hoping for for, and if so, such would probably be several years down the road, so don't hold your breath;............... but I suppose you never know!

                    If you want something along this line of engine (no not pushrod, but a truck motor) one could search out the 6.2L engine (spark ignition) from say the Raptor trucks, as some of these should be finding their way to the second hand market by now. This also would not be an easy conversion either, but at least its' been out and about for a decade or so, and their was an attempt to inject it into the performance seen, although as I suspect will be with the 7.3L, somewhat unsuccessful.

                    Scott.
                    I disagree. I think many want a large displacement, commonly available, relatively simple/compact, Ford engine that is NOT an LS.
                    Those who want substantially over 500 HP or are trying to shoehorn into a Miata, will probably still take a blown coyote or LS, but many like me, just want a stump puller with decent power that fits easier than a coyote. It is going to be a number of years until it is cheap and plentiful,
                    but I can wait.
                    59-430-HT

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X