Announcement

Collapse

PLEASE RELOAD YOUR AVATAR. You shouldn't have any problems doing this, now. Thanks again for the delay but now it is over. - Dave
See more
See less

Cruise-o-matic parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruise-o-matic parts

Hi all

I'm in the process of rebuilding my COM.
    Turns out the last person who serviced my transmission didn't really do the best job.

Long story short I need some parts and am having trouble locating them. All of the rebuild kits have all the regular stuff which I don't need.

The most important things I need are:
    Front input shaft support bush
    Rear housing support bush
    Rear housing support thrust washer
    Thrust washer front clutch/cylinder
    Pinion carrier support bush
    Thrust washer between front & rear band assembly

I've searched the internet and had no luck, is there possibly parts from from a c4 or fmx that I can use?

Any help is appreciated

Cheers
    Wyldie

Look for eBay sellers that are parting out 58-60 TBirds and contact them to see if they have a COM. Depending on where you/they are, you might catch a break.
    Todd Gilroy
    1960 Tbird Convertible
    Thunderbird Registry #54651

Comment

Seems like a bearing supplier would have bushings and bearings. I've had good luck with Bearing Service. Their not 'car people', but if you have your dimensions, they can look stuff up by specs. I have gone in with failed bearings and come out with not a direct replacement, but a better bearing of same dimensions.
      Also, you probably know, you can turn bushings easily, again if you have the specs either from old parts or from measuring their mating parts.

Comment

Yeah, that in itself is an issue, I can take the housing to a bearing place and have them measure bushes, but how far worn are they from stock? Same with thrust washers. Does anyone have any information on original specs?

Comment

Your best bet for original specs might be Charlie Tranny. He's pretty good about answering questions via email.

https://www.charlietranny.com/
          Todd Gilroy
          1960 Tbird Convertible

Comment

Here's how it goes where I live (Detroit). Transmission shops pay for a computer service to access ALL transmission blow-up diagrams and part numbers. They want your transmission to disassemble and clean. It takes special tools to pull some bushings. They have all the tools. They make a list of parts and call their supplier. Parts rarely take more than 2-3 days to get here. Sometimes the car is tying up a hoist waiting for parts. Either parts get here fast or they lower the car and push it into a parking space until 'bench work' is complete.

I have a friend (Randy Carron) who owns RC Trans and Gear. When he is done with a transmission, he signs his initials on the trans case and gives the owner a warranty for as long as he owns it. Yep, a written lifetime warranty but his work isn't cheap.

One day I asked Randy if I could borrow his tail-shaft bushing puller over the weekend. He was afraid I would break it so I gave him a hundred bucks as 'a deposit'. I did not break it but I quickly found out how easy his puller could be broken if not used correctly.

Randy deals with special orders every day and he has a rapport with the suppliers. Some suppliers deliver the parts (same day service) because they service all the transmission shops around the city.

Someone who doesn't overhaul transmissions is at a terrible disadvantage because nobody wants to be responsible for ordering the wrong parts especially when overseas shipping is involved.

I wish I could help you more but that is how it goes here. I'm sorry your transmission shop didn't do a very good job. We have one member in Germany who paid thousands to overhaul his T-bird engine and transmission. They did the engine but contracted the transmission work out. The transmission shop charged a lot of money but did NOTHING to overhaul his transmission. After the accident, when they opened the trans pan the lack of work was very evident. I think he settled in court over that incident. Maybe you can go back to your transmission shop and have them do it correctly this time. - Dave
            My latest project:
            CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Thanks Dave

I don't know who did the transmission last as it was done in America by the previous owner God knows how many years ago.

Thanks for the story however it was of no real help in relation to my issues. I was hoping someone after 60 years would possibly have some dimensions on internals, however, that doesn't look to be the case thus far.

I took a couple of components to a well known trans place here in Oz and they measured up the bushes I needed and they match them to an fmx box. Now this isn't the case for all the components but atleast 2 that I need and can order. A good start. I'll take the thrust washers to a bearing place here and hopefully I can get something similar. If I can't I'll use the originals as there not that bad but if I had the choice i'd put new ones in.

I'm surprised these issues haven't been solved I was half expecting an exploded diagram of a cruise-o-matic with part numbers and replacement numbers in the technical library, they are the main type of transmission used in squarebirds and they're not bullet proof.

I'll keep a list of replacement parts I find for future reference for others.

Cheers

Mike

Comment

Did you check out https://www.charlietranny.com/?

There are exploded views of a Cruise-o-matic and he has used thrust washers for sale. They may not be any better than what you have, but might be worth a shot.
                Todd Gilroy
                1960 Tbird Convertible

Comment

I had put Charlie's Transmissions website in the Technical Resource Library some years ago and forgot we already had it there! It has been there for ya'll to use all this time...When you go to the TRL push the Ctrl button on the keyboard, and the F key (F=Find), type in transmission and it will take you right to it. It is the second link there under Transmissions! The Fordomatic Transmission. Wyldie, if you have not done so, go down through that whole transmission section for the Cruise-O-Matic, and you may find the parts breakdown you were looking for. I do not have Charlie's information in the Advertisements Forum though and will add it there. Thanks for jogging my memory, Todd!
                  Last edited by YellowRose; September 5th, 2019, 11:42 PM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                  The Terminator.....
                  Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Try to find a Cruise-O-Anchor out of a mid 60's full size Ford or Merc. It has the heavier case. The older ones the case is the weak link in the chain. They always crack (sooner or later). A C6 is a better transmission. Plus, you can get anything for them, easily. But if you're going for original use the later model. You can use your stk bell hsg, so it will look orig under the hood.
                    John Byers
                    1960 Convertible (Orig owner)
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks all

​byersmtrco the c6 option is my backup plan. The COM isn't that bad. The only items that need direct attention are the front input bush that mounts in the case which I can get and the pump outlet pipe which is in transit I bought off eBay.

I just figured it's apart, replace the wear parts. Very surprised at how little parts are available new/reproduced given how much other parts you can get for the rest of the car.

Appreciate the help all

Comment

Sent Wyldie two emails and his PM box is full and not accepting new msgs.

Comment

Wyldie, check your Private Messages, clear them out so others can PM you to help you!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                          The Terminator.....
                          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Wyldie View Post
                            ... Very surprised at how little parts are available new/reproduced given how much other parts you can get for the rest of the car.
                            Also notice that not many transmission mechanics exist that can rebuild a C-O-M. Parts are available here but we rarely have a call to overhaul old classic transmissions. Consequently, the classic mechanics have retired. New transmissions are FAR more complicated but modern mechanics overhaul them daily.

BTW, I sent you a private message. I haven't seen your answer. - Dave
                            My latest project:
                            CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Originally posted by byersmtrco View Post
                              Try to find a Cruise-O-Anchor out of a mid 60's full size Ford or Merc. It has the heavier case. The older ones the case is the weak link in the chain. They always crack (sooner or later)
                              I was made aware that the major cause for the cracking of the cast iron cases is due to reversing the direction of rotation on the output shaft with torque applied, and yes, as stated previously, this being a less common failure in the large case units such as those behind the 430 vs 352 engines.

So the lesson is: as per one's earlier training, be sure the wheels have stopped turning before changing the direction of their rotation.

Scott.
                              Last edited by simplyconnected; September 9th, 2019, 06:48 PM. Reason: Fix the quote

Comment

Working...
                              X