Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eric S
    Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

I got the clock back from quartz upgrade from AutoInstruments.
    There is 2 holes on the back of the clock. I don't remember after all this time (Make pictures !!!) We use 2 bulbs on the clock right?
    I have 3 bulbs waiting in the dash. Will have to make sure other instruments got their bulb.

Comment

• Pat in Ma
      Experienced
      • Dec 30 2018

Hi Eric,

My 59 had the following for bulb placement, temp & fuel gauge has two, Speedometer has four - 3 for speedo one for high beam indicator which
      is a different color wire compared to the gauge lamps, Clock has two, You should have one for the lighter/wiper switch and one for the ignition
      and light switch. Hope that helps a little and hope the 60 isn't much different.
      Pat M.
      Monson, MA
      1959 HT Hickory Tan, Thunderbird registry #77617

Comment

• Eric S
        Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

Pat
        thank you, so my 3rd bulb is for the lighter/wiper switches and I found where it goes. Easy when you know what you're looking after.

I found the permanent + under tape, just have to make it longer to reach the clock.
        While disturbing the wires, a speedo bulb fell off so I took off the speedo. It was the hi beam bulb that fell off. It is grounded with a wire
        Now (maybe because I moved everything around) I have nothing else working.
        Before I had the red generator and a dim light on the tank/temperature and on the speedo. But now, except the hi beam, I have none of the non wire grounded bulbs powered.
        I have nothing coming out of the sockets. (I put my test light on the socket and it does not light)
        All bulbs checked on the hi beam socket and are OK.
        Turns are OK.
        Can I have a fuse somewhere?

Below is a picture from another post. I put it here so I have it handy but IT IS NOT my dash board. (I have a lot more wires !)
        Is it easy to take off the whole dash with steering wheel and everything else in place and without going into too much of a mess?
        Attached Files

Comment

• Eric S
          Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

I spent this afternoon on the panel.
          The grounded bulb was actually the generator bulb that went off its socket.
          Everything is now in place except :
          - 4th bulb for speedo was not here.
          - bulb for ignition refuse to stay in place. I tried all 3 bulb on the left and none of them stay positively on the ignition socket.
          When it works it does not light the light switch though.

So my questions are now :
          1. can I use another bulb wire (and make a Y connection on the wire) to get a forth bulb for the speedo or is it better to leave just 2 bulbs to illuminate the speedo? I don't want to go in deep work here?.
          2. How can I make sure that the ignitin/light bulb stays in place.
          3. The oil pressure alarm is allways off. Is it supposed to go on just in case of low oil pressure? Isn't it supposed to go briefly on when contact is on and before oil pressure builds up?

At least the clock now works !
          Last edited by Eric S; June 15, 2019, 02:10 PM.

Comment

• Frango100
            Experienced
            • May 2 2016

Yes, the oil pressure light should be on when the ignition is in on and the engine is off or when the pressure is low. Remove the oil pressure switch wire and connect it to ground, if the light comes on (with ignition in on), the pressure switch is faulty. If the light doesn't come on, then there is a problem with the wiring or the bulb.
            It should be possible to use another wire and connect it as a Y to get the fourth speedo light.
            sigpicFrank
            1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
            Thunderbird registry #61670

Comment

• Eric S
              Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

Thank you
              Where the oil pressure wire connect on the engine? I assume it is where I have to ground it.
              This morning I moved my 56 and I also had the oil pressure light off so I thought I was OK.

I will have to re-open the whole thing anyway as the wipers hose popped out of the switch !
              So I will get a 4th light in the meantime.
              Last edited by Eric S; February 18, 2020, 10:17 AM.

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Eric S
                Where the oil pressure wire connect on the engine?
                On top of the oil sender. Page 1-34 Figure 50 in the shop manual.

John

John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Eric S
                  Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

Waiting for some bulbs from Carl to finish the dashboard and car I looked at the manual to adjust Head Lights.
                  A wall chart is mentionned. Of course I could adjust it roughly but I would like to go by the manufacturer's instruction so anybody knows the Chart dimensions?
                  Or anyone knows how to adjust the lights? I mean adjusting the beams as the lights adjustments themselves are easy to understand.

Comment

• Eric S
                    Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

So nobody can help on beam adjustments?
                    other than that I am looking at a picture of a front licence plate holder to see how it is installed. I may found out when I will be in front of the car but this not going to happen before a few days...

Comment

• jopizz
                      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Your bumper should be pre-drilled with the mounting holes for the factory bracket. The holes are underneath. Just use any nuts and bolts that will fit.

As for adjusting the headlights the manual gives detailed measurements in inches. I'm not sure what more you are looking for. Remember different countries have different standards so what is acceptable in the US may not be acceptable in France. You need to find out what those standards are and measure accordingly.

John

Comment

• Eric S
                        Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

Thank you John. At least I know what to expect.
                        As for the lights, the measures in the manual are used to install and adjust the wall chart. Then one have to bring the beam to the top corner of the chart but the size of the chart is not given so...

Comment

• jopizz
                          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I guess I'm reading it differently than you. It seems pretty cut and dry to me. The size of the chart is not important. You don't even need a chart, you can use tape on the wall or garage door. If you don't understand how to establish the 20" horizontal line and adjust accordingly then I suggest you take your car to someone that can adjust them for you. As I mentioned before the measurement in the manual may not be legal for where you live.

John

Comment

• Eric S
                            Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

12.5 - 3
                            this dimension is the distance that the No. 2 headlight horizontal line on each chart must be positioned above the 20" base line.
                            6. Adjust No. 2 headlight hot spot in the corner of the rectangular pattern...

but if you don't know where is the corner...

as for the regulations I never saw any check for that here so I just need to get them efficient as much as I can !

Comment

• jopizz
                              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Maybe these instructions will be easier to follow.

John

headlights-1.jpgheadlights-2.jpgheadlights-3.jpg

Comment

• Eric S
                                Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

Your manual is much clear than mine !
                                I am using 1960 Shop Manual.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎