Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oldcarnut
    replied
    I bought a 27 maxx from Walmart today for $120.00 fots perfect and the + terminal is right under the starter solenoid.
    1000 cold cranking amps!

Leave a comment:

• vermbird
    replied
    bxt 27f fits perfectly in square bird. buy from ford dealer can have it there the next day. 100 month warranty. Motorcraft, works in judged car shows.

Leave a comment:

• JohnG
    replied
    I finally narrowed the hunt down to two batteries that I could count on the width for: Interstate MTP-27 and Exide 27X. Both are high quality in terms cranking power and warranty. I wanted the terminals on the fender side with the + near the starter solenoid. Both retail in the $120 range.

Now I can get the tie down hardware and the job will be done. Spring has come early to New England and the car is getting some use.

Thanks for everyone's info and help!

John

Leave a comment:

• Yadkin
    replied
    Originally posted by Wudro View Post
    West Coast Fellas, West Coast.
    To visit, yes. But here in the east we have something extremely valuable and amenable to all forms of life: rain.

Leave a comment:

• simplyconnected
    replied
    Click on the small pictures...

A lot needs to be said for the West Coast but they have their quirks too.
    Michigan has a tornado season, California gets earthquakes and a host of restrictions on everything. We get mosquitoes, they get gophers, terrible smog, horrible fire storms and they're always running out of water.

They have the ocean but we don't know what salt water is. Instead, we have 1/5 of the world's fresh water, so there is never a restriction on usage.

California also has much higher average temps with no snow.
    I actually love snow and if Christmas is not white, I feel robbed in a sense. Yes we get snow but not all the time.
    Robin had two 'snow days' (because school was closed) and it was refreshing to have her home.

Folks come from all over the States and Canada to cruise in the world's largest cruise, the Woodward Dream Cruise (held the third Saturday in August).
    It's free and over 1-1/2 Million people attend.
    Michigan rewards classic car owners with a ten-year registration that costs $30.
    Yep, three buck per year and they supply the plate or we can use period-correct plates of our choice for five bucks more.
    We have no toll roads and 6% sales tax. At the moment I am not at all happy with our governor and his handling of the Flint water debacle but some of that blame must be shared with the Environmental Protection Agency (the watchdog fed's) who have done nothing.

Michigan is green and lush with beautiful fall colors. It is the place to raise children.
    We have tulip festival, cherry and peach festivals, and we do apple cider mills (scores of them). Halloween and Thanksgiving are really wonderful times with hay rides, haunted houses and giant pumpkins that grow to 100 pounds weight.

Yep, the WDC goes well into the night.

Leave a comment:

• Wudro
    replied
    West Coast Fellas, West Coast.

Leave a comment:

• Yadkin
    replied
    I feel your pain, Dave, having been a resident of Onondaga County, NY for 11 years. Ten below for 6 weeks, not as cold as Michigan. But we sure got our share of snow. Seven of the winters I spent there were record snowfalls. '93 we approached 200.

I lived in a little Town called Pompey for 7 of those years. It was a lot higher in elevation than Syracuse and drifting snow was a real challenge. After cutting a "trench" through a 2' snowfall to get close to the surface of my gravel driveway, drifting would continue for one or two days, filling it back in within 45 minutes.

I think I already told the story of how I wore out the engine in one snowblower, a 10HP track drive behemoth.

Leave a comment:

• simplyconnected
    replied
    Mount Mitchell is over 6,000 feet, Eric might be in one of those foot hills.

Asheville and Boone are more my style of climate. Raleigh is too hot in summer because my melting point is 90F.

We wear out snow blowers in Michigan. Some times we run out of places to put snow. When the city snow plow comes down the street, everyone's driveway has a huge berm of snow on their driveway apron. What makes it bad is, by the time they get to the side streets two days have past, then it's huge chunks of ice instead of snow. I remember one year it was -20F for over a MONTH. It was too cold to snow. That kind of cold is bone-dry, enough to freeze your lungs if working outside but life still goes on. Our summer and falls are gorgeous but short.

Your snow is gone by noon. - Dave

Leave a comment:

• Yadkin
    replied
    Originally posted by DKheld View Post
    NC where I am at 2200 ft above sea level
    You must be in a very tall building in Charlotte then...

Leave a comment:

• DKheld
    replied
    Depends on what part of the old Tar heel state.

Believe it or not my new truck came with a battery blanket! and unfortunately the factory battery in my wife's '08 Escape cracked last winter - no 2 years ago. What a mess. Too cold to wash it out very well so just put a load of baking soda in the tray until I could clean it out properly the following spring.

According to weather data base....

Royal Oak Mi.
    Avg temp - 52.7
    Avg winter temp - 38.7
    Avg spring temp - 45.3
    (record low -22)

NC where I am at 2200 ft above sea level
    Avg temp - 55.3
    Avg winter temp - 43.5
    Avg spring temp - 51.2
    (record low -16)

But I know what you're sayin'

Unless we experience the old pockey-clipse and the Tbird is the only running car - I won't have it out much in the winter weather anyway (but I have been know to drive it when it's cold and snowing just for fun)

You're just jealous

Leave a comment:

• Yadkin
    replied
    Originally posted by simplyconnected View Post
    Eric...
    You're in North Carolina, where people are freezing in sixty degree temperatures.

Trust me, it gets cold up here and it stays cold for at least a month or two longer than North Carolina.

Have you ever seen a battery freeze and crack? I have. Ford put 'cozies' around Mustang batteries going to northern states, at the factory.
    So that's what those are for.

"Where winter stays 9 months per year,
    there is no spring or fall.
    And it's so cold the mercury
    cannot be seen at all..."

Prairie Home Companion

Leave a comment:

• JamesBorisPerez
    replied
    Battery Recommendations

I researched this quite a bit when I wanted to replace my battery and found a direct fit from Napa parts, it commercial grade, cost about $112, fits perfectly and has worked great for the past year. I'm running an electric radiator fan and about a 300 watts worth of amps.

Leave a comment:

• simplyconnected
    replied
    Eric...
    You're in North Carolina, where people are freezing in sixty degree temperatures.

Trust me, it gets cold up here and it stays cold for at least a month or two longer than North Carolina.

Have you ever seen a battery freeze and crack? I have. Ford put 'cozies' around Mustang batteries going to northern states, at the factory.

Leave a comment:

• DKheld
    replied
    Sheesh - my Motorcraft battery - although it has lasted fine - only has 420ish CCA.

Leave a comment:

• simplyconnected
    replied
    The reviews say this battery is made by Johnson Controls.

The sticker on the battery says, 3-yr replacement and 2-year pro-rated. All the reviews are good and they say it lasts more than six years.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X