Electric window conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric window conversion

My 1960 Thunderbird has crank up windows. Is there anyway I can convert them to electric windows and still use the original electric window switch on the center counsel. If someone could send me a wiring diagram that would show me how to use modern 2 wire motors with these switches I would appreciate it.

jimburlingame@rochester.rr.com

Electric window conversion

Are you sure you want to do this? Electric windows on these old birds of ours can give us a lot of problems after some 50 years of use... or non-use, if the car has been sitting there for decades without being used. The wiring diagrams for these old Tbirds of ours are found in the Technical Resource Library (TRL) under Wiring Diagrams. The to which is always right below my signature.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Originally posted by YellowRose View Post
      Are you sure you want to do this? Electric windows on these old birds of ours can give us a lot of problems after some 50 years of use... or non-use, if the car has been sitting there for decades without being used. The wiring diagrams for these old Tbirds of ours are found in the Technical Resource Library (TRL) under Wiring Diagrams. The to which is always right below my signature.
      Well, maybe if he can figure a way to use modern motors, but you are right all of us with the electric motors have lots of fun with them, don't we.

Comment

If your rear quarter windows currently crank up and down nicely, I would definitely NOT convert those to electric.
        http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

It's certainly doable if you use the original motors and power window regulators. The manual window regulator is not equipped to handle a motor. If you do find power window regulators it's doubtful you will find a modern motor that will bolt up to it. It's not the wiring that's the problem. By the time you buy the motors, regulators, wiring harnesses, relays and circuit breakers you will have a good bit of money into it and as mentioned the headaches that go along with it. There are many days that I wish my '59 had manual windows.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota Boy View Post
            If your rear quarter windows currently crank up and down nicely, I would definitely NOT convert those to electric.
            Yeah, I wrote our back windows off in the rear as for looks only....

Comment

I converted from manual to electric (original) close to 30 years ago and have had no problems other than dirty switch contact points.
              sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

i want to go from electric to manual. How and what parts would i need. There are no regulator components in the quarter windows at all but the glass is good. The 2 fronts are complete but motors are not working. Its a 60 hardtop.

Comment

You will need the manual window regulators for both doors and both quarters. You will also need the window crank handles. Everything else is basically the same whether it's electric or manual. I don't know what other parts you may be missing. I have posted the parts diagram for both the door and quarter. You will also need a manual window console if you want to do it right and not have a hole where the switch plate is. You can send a PM to Carl Heller (partsetal). He will have the parts that you need.

John

60 door diagram.jpg
                  60 quarter windowa.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by JimBurl View Post
                    My 1960 Thunderbird has crank up windows. Is there anyway I can convert them to electric windows and still use the original electric window switch on the center counsel. If someone could send me a wiring diagram that would show me how to use modern 2 wire motors with these switches I would appreciate it.

jimburlingame@rochester.rr.com
                    I'd suggest you install the universal Electric Life Power Window setup, I installed a set in my Model A. Nice easy product to use.

https://www.electric-life.com/produc...reet-rod-kits/

Then use the factory power window switches instead of the ones they will sell you.

Comment

The post you quoted was from 2014. That user has not been on the forum since then. That's why we recommend starting a new topic rather than replying to an old one. It just confuses things.

John

Comment

Originally posted by jopizz View Post
                        You will need the manual window regulators for both doors and both quarters. You will also need the window crank handles. Everything else is basically the same whether it's electric or manual. I don't know what other parts you may be missing. I have posted the parts diagram for both the door and quarter. You will also need a manual window console if you want to do it right and not have a hole where the switch plate is. You can send a PM to Carl Heller (partsetal). He will have the parts that you need.

John

60 door diagram.jpg
                        60 quarter windowa.jpg
                        I know this post is a couple years old, is Carl Heller (partsetal) still out there for manual window regulators? Seriously considering conversion from electric to manual windows

Comment

Yes, Carl is still selling parts for Squarebirds. Send him a private message. I'm sure he'll be able to help you out.

John

Comment

Working...
                          X