Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pat in Ma
    Experienced
    • Dec 30 2018

I just replaced all the shocks on my 59 with Monroe 5801's in front and the Monroe 37197's which are listed for Land Rover Discovery 1994-1999, They all fit fine and I'm
    looking forward to the control these should bring compared to the smaller and worn stock units. Rock Auto current pricing is 5801 @ $21.79 ea. and the 37197 @ $44.79 ea.
    and all of these shipped from the same warehouse so that was a bonus.
    Pat M.
    Monson, MA
    1959 HT Hickory Tan, Thunderbird registry #77617

Comment

• p38fighter
      Super-Experienced
      • Oct 14 2016

Pat - are you aware of the Rock Auto discount available to us? Look in the advertising section on the web site to find the discount number.

Comment

• Pat in Ma
        Experienced
        • Dec 30 2018

Originally posted by p38fighter
        Pat - are you aware of the Rock Auto discount available to us? Look in the advertising section on the web site to find the discount number.
        Hi, Yes I know of the discount and have been using it quite often. I hope your making progress on your car, I'm picking away at mine and will some day drive it!
        Pat M.
        Monson, MA

Comment

• Deanj
          Super-Experienced
          • Nov 26 2015

How did you determine the cross fit from a Land Rover? I would have liked a few diferent name brand options for Squarebirds, but the bottom feeder Monroes are all that seem available.

Dean

Comment

• Pat in Ma
            Experienced
            • Dec 30 2018

Originally posted by jopizz
            The Gabriel catalog shows a G63506 as their alternative to the Monroe 37191. The specs look about the same. It doesn't look like RockAuto carries them.

http://gabriel.com/product-search/li...partnum=G63506

John
            Hi Deanj,
            I saw this from maybe page 3 or 4 of this thread and found the fitment list then just used a 1995 Land Rover Discovery to see what else was listed and found the 37197.
            Rock Auto also list the following for the front of the Land Rover but work for the rear of the Thunderbird.

Original Ride Quality,
            Gabriel G63506 @ $30.79 ea.
            KYB 345014 @ $44.79 ea.
            Monroe 37197 @ $44.79 ea.
            Sachs 312239 @ $82.79 ea.

Heavy Duty,
            Bilstein 24188296 @ $97.79 ea.

They do mount a little different as they use a flanged washer at the shock mounting hole instead of the rubber bushing riding right against the metal like this

SCAN0102.JPG

The flange isn't a tight fit to the hole but once tightened down it doesn't seem to move. I'll be the test dummy for these unless someone else has already used them
            and can report on them either good or bad.
            Last edited by Pat in Ma; May 9, 2019, 11:27 PM.
            Pat M.
            Monson, MA

Comment

• Pat in Ma
              Experienced
              • Dec 30 2018

Hi All,

I just wanted to report back on my use of the Monroe 5801's on the front and the Monroe 37197's on the rear. I don't have driving experience on the standard shocks that
              would be fit to the Squarebirds so all I can say is that so far this setup seems to work well. The roads in my home town are like most I would imagine, some good and some
              bad to almost undrivable. So far these shocks seem to absorb all the jolts and sharp edges without upsetting the car. even a few series of railroad crossings didn't seem to
              affect or upset things inside. I don't feel or hear any knocking from the way these mount even over these rough roads so I'm assuming these 37197's and related would be
              a good replacement for the now defunct 37191's. I hope this very basic and short ride report helps out and that maybe someone tries some of the others listed.
              Last edited by Pat in Ma; May 27, 2019, 05:25 PM. Reason: spelling error
              Pat M.
              Monson, MA

Comment

• StealthSRT10
                Experienced
                • Jun 7 2017

I just installed some Monroe MA705 Max-air shocks on the rear of my 59 bird. I have to say it is a world of difference. I had already installed new leaf springs and had good oem style shocks but the body roll was crazy on turns and is was so squishy. This firmed it right up and they were only $64 for a pair. wish i would have done this first and saved alot of money.
                1959 Thunderbird 397ci
                Cruise-O-Matic
                Flamingo Pink.
                Thunderbird Registry #8442
                Daily driver

Comment

• M&L60Bird
                  • Jun 1 2014

I did the same thing on my 60 Hardtop that Stealth did- new leaf springs and the Monroe MA705 air shocks. I love the combination as the trunk gets quite full going to car shows. I ran the air lines into the trunk behind the spare tire well and hid the valve to inflace under the truck mat out of sight.

Comment

• StealthSRT10
                    Experienced
                    • Jun 7 2017

Originally posted by M&L60Bird
                    I did the same thing on my 60 Hardtop that Stealth did- new leaf springs and the Monroe MA705 air shocks. I love the combination as the trunk gets quite full going to car shows. I ran the air lines into the trunk behind the spare tire well and hid the valve to inflace under the truck mat out of sight.
                    ha thats exactly where i ran my lines as well. great minds!
                    1959 Thunderbird 397ci
                    Cruise-O-Matic
                    Flamingo Pink.
                    Thunderbird Registry #8442
                    Daily driver

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡