Announcement

Collapse

PLEASE RELOAD YOUR AVATAR. You shouldn't have any problems doing this, now. Thanks again for the delay but now it is over. - Dave
See more
See less

I need more leg room!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im working on this project myself this week. going to start with just moving the bolts back but i finally got my 220v welder all hooked up so ill make some brackets if it comes to that. Also going to try to insulate my center console tunnel while seats out. since i just put new foam in it. That center console gets up to 130F while cruising on the freeway.
    1959 Thunderbird 397ci
    Cruise-O-Matic
    Flamingo Pink.
    Thunderbird Registry #8442
    Daily driver

Comment

The Dynamat helped a lot. I put a double layer of 1/8 on the sides up to the chrome and a single for the 1st 3in above the chrome, thinking the console wouldn't fit over it. So the chrome has nothing under it and I don't think console would fit over the 1/8in. The chrome still gets really hot, almost too hot to touch but the console is just tepid. So big improvement there. I went to a muffler shop to see if he could put baffles on my exhaust pipes. He said it really wouldn't work but he thought my carburetor is running rich and would cause the exhaust pipes to get very hot with ignition happening in the pipe from the fumes.

Comment

Heatshields cut down my tunnel heat more than Dynamat. Easy to make.

Comment

I thought that too. Grizzled Muffler Man said it wouldn't work. Like I said earlier, said running too rich and the gases were burning in the exhaust pipe making it hot. Turned down making the shield and sent me to a carb man. I'll ask another shop

Comment

Why don't you ask the carb man first? In any case it can not harm.

Comment

​ I did. I took it to a guy who restores old carbs for show cars, concours type. He's been doing it for many years. He put the car on his Sun scope to make sure it's correct. It is a bit fumey. I'll have someone else put it on their scope

Comment

So he just checked it and said it was correct without adjustment?

Comment

Ratboy did you get your issue fixed?
                  1959 Thunderbird 397ci
                  Cruise-O-Matic
                  Flamingo Pink.
                  Daily driver

Comment

I used P38 fighter's method. On page 1 of this thread. Worked excellent. 2in more. Very comfortable now. Highly recommend if you are tallish. Im 6-3 or was back in the day.

Comment

I did the swap with the hole further back and its better for sure.
                      1959 Thunderbird 397ci
                      Cruise-O-Matic
                      Flamingo Pink.
                      Daily driver

Comment

Working...
                      X