Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jimz Bird
    Experienced
    • Feb 3 2011

If we didn't know it was a Thunderbird, we might think it a Phoenix. I still suspect some bit of Magic there.

You really brought that one back from the dead.

Congrats and GOOD Job!
    Jim
    Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
    sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

• fomoco59
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 10 2005

Awesome !
      sigpic
      Mike Lemmon
      '59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461

Comment

Where is the front header located. I will be looking at a 1960 convertable. What should I look for?

Larry

Comment

• lawyercalif
          Experienced
          • May 12 2011

The header is the front of the convertible top assembly. The front of the top attaches to it. You cannot see it unless you remove the top, such as when you replace it.

The amount of rust you may find depends a lot on where the car was located much of its life. If back East, Midwest or the South you can expect to find rust in the rockers, inner rockers, floors, trunk, etc. If a convertible you may find rust in the front header or the rear shelf under the rear window.

If possible look for cars that have spent their lives in a desert type environment. However if the initial price is right almost any convertible can be saved. Just takes some money. I bought mine for $7500, I now have about $20,000 in it.

Comment

• lawyercalif
            Experienced
            • May 12 2011

We Have An Interior

I have finished putting in a new dash pad; new gauges; new radio; and a complete interior. Attached are some pictures.

I chose to get rid of the original fuel and heat gauge and replace it with a Classic Instrument Quad gauge that includes Fuel, Heat, Volts and Oil. With some minor trimming it fit beautifully in the original bezel. I also replaced the Clock with a Tach following the directions on our tech site. Once again it needed some trimming but the end result is great.

I installed an AudioBahn stereo system and put the speakers under the front seats.

Coming next: Swap the 352 for the 390 and the COM for the C-6.
            Attached Files

Comment

• GTE427
              Super-Experienced
              • Oct 9 2007

The new instruments looks great in there. A thought for you to consider, pull the speedo and refinish the center from gold to white, same with the needle to match the new gauge needles.

Your car is really coming along nicely in such a short amount of time, remember when you first purchased the car and look at where it is today.
              Ken
              1959 J Convertible
              1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• lawyercalif
                Experienced
                • May 12 2011

Good idea. However, I might just get wireless speedometer to match it after I put in the C6.

Comment

Pics ...

Yes, upload them to photo bucket or similar site, then you can just hit the [IMG] code on the highlighted photo (the bottum one) and then paste it below the text of your post (have the sqarebird site and photobucket on separate tabs so you can go back and forth). Before you hit paste have your cursor at the end of your message and hit the enter key once or twice to properly position the pic. Do this at the end of each successive pic description also and when your finished hit preview to check your results. Oh well, a day late and a dollar short. Mike

Hey, if I can do it anyone can.
                  Last edited by Guest; January 25, 2012, 05:03 PM.

Comment

• lawyercalif
                    Experienced
                    • May 12 2011

Gaffney1951, at first I did not understand your post. However, now I see you were responding to my 1st post. I joined the site as a paid member so now I no longer have a problem with the pictures. However, thank you for taking the time to respond, help is always appreciated.

Your wheels look great by the way. Nice Car.

Dan
                    Last edited by lawyercalif; January 25, 2012, 06:20 PM.

Comment

• route66sandpoint
                      • Apr 4 2015

Love the work done on your qtr panels . I own a body shop and know what's involved with this type of repair . I have a 1960 t bird and need to due the same to both qtrs. May I ask where you found your replacement panels ?
                      Last edited by route66sandpoint; July 26, 2015, 01:26 PM. Reason: wanted to say repacement not repayment

Comment

• jopizz
                        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Repair panels are available from most of the Thunderbird parts vendors. You will find them listed in the Advertisements section. Just be aware that the reproduction parts are not quite up to the standards that the original parts were and will require quite a bit of massaging to get them to look factory. Especially if you will be using fender skirts.

John
                        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Randy
                          Experienced
                          • Dec 21 2015

Wow ! What a wonderful project and very well documented thank you.
                          And I found out my rust don't seem so bad and know where I can get some
                          Welding done, I just live down the road Fallbrook. Wow what a swell job
                          "You're never too old to become younger".! (M. West)
                          Randy's Save the Bird Foundation in Beautiful Fallbrook, California

!.This is the Greatest Square on Earth.!

Comment

• lawyercalif
                            Experienced
                            • May 12 2011

Thank you for the kind comments. I highly recommend you contact Joey Sanchez at Tops Auto he does amazing work. Besides my 59 T Bird he just finished painting a 58 Chevy Bel Air for me. The phone number for Tops is 951 579 0113

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎