Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone ever used this Disc conversion kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone ever used this Disc conversion kit?

Has anyone here used this Disc brake conversion kit? I have looked through the forums and there is some talk about this particular kit, but no examples...what I want to do is keep 14-inch wheels and use my original hubcaps. No clue what make/model/year wheels I'd have to get for this.

http://www.tbirdranch.com/discbrk.html

I am not good with figuring wheel/caliper clearance then trying to compare them to some model's wheels, etc...and am wondering what 14-inch wheels will work.

It does say these are "GM" parts.

I have Emailed the question but received no replies.

Thanks,

Merid
    Last edited by Meridious; April 8th, 2008, 11:57 PM.

If I remember right the one downside to that kit, is you can't run a stock location for the sway bar since the calipers are on the front side of the spindle?

We have had lots of discussions on here about different disc kits. The way I went, I'm pretty sure you can't run anything smaller than a 16" rim on my car, never tried anything less than a 17" so truely not sure on that.

Personally I would make sure the kit you run doesn't interfere with running a front sway bar. I'm pretty sure that means a setup that hangs the caliper on the back side of the spindle away from the front of the car.

Comment

No.

This kit has the calipers in the right spot. That is the SBC? system you are thinking of. This kit has the calipers to the rear and no other modifications are necessary besides the stock wheels no longer working.

I have gone through all the disc brake threads going back to 2004. Only one person I could find who used this kit commented on the wheels, and he had placed 17-inch wheels etc. I want to keep 14-inch size.

The only 'downside' is that the parts are GM and I can't get an answer (yet) as to what make and model wheels will fit and clear the calipers. 14-inch wheels.

I have no clue how to come up with a measurement and then make some comparison into the GM wheels that will clear.
      Last edited by Meridious; April 9th, 2008, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Meridious View Post
        No.

This kit has the calipers in the right spot. That is the ABS system you are thinking of. This kit has the calipers to the rear and no other modifications are necessary besides the stock wheels no longer working.

The only 'downside' is that the parts are GM and I can't get an answer (yet) as to what make and model wheels will fit and clear the calipers. 14-inch wheels.

I have no clue how to come up with a measurement and then make some comparison into the GM wheels that will clear.
        Well, that's kool then.

Regarding parts being GM, actually the GM brake stuff is pretty decent stuff and cheap to replace, etc.

I would guess the issue with the stock wheels is the stock wheels don't have enough offset(if I am getting my terms right ) becuase they probably don't wrap out to clear the caliper like a rim from say a 65 Tbird does. I would think a rim from a 65 Bird would clear everything and work for you, except it would be a 15" wheel not a 14", but you would have better tire choices in a 15 I would think.

If you follow this link you will find a helpful tech note from billetspecialties on how to figure backspacing, etc.

http://www.billetspecialties.com/ite...pid=871&rdir=1

Also at the bottom of this web page is a link to a nice piece about wheel measurements also.

http://www.ccwheel.com/files/technical.php

Oh, one last thing, so does it change your wheel spacing from 5 on 4.75 to 5 on 4.5 then or is the other way? I can't remember which one is which today.
        Last edited by RustyNCa; April 9th, 2008, 11:50 AM.

Comment

I,m pretty sure a 95 ford ranger pickup wheel is 14. But what is the bolt pattern ford or gm? This was in hemmings motor news about the truck wheels on a 60. Not sure if the brakes were converted but i remember what the wheels were from. They used the stock hubcap. I'll look around for it and post it.

Comment

That kit will work. I used the SBC kit and it screwed me up with the swaybar. Standard later model Ford 14x6 or 14x7 wheels (WILL) clear those calipers. It will be close. You will be able to run your stock wheel covers and no one will be the wiser.

That kit was N/A when I did mine.

Comment

brakes

would it work better if you used a spacer behid the rim?

Comment

I do not like these conversion kits because the mounting bracket that holds the calipers tends to fail. It is just a 3/8" steel plate with some welded on nuts and I had one break on me. During a test drive trying to sell an F100 no less. I like the granada conversion kits. Try Dropnstop. Dick puts together the same kit with the granada spindles and probably costs the same. Just my opinion. I would never go that route again.

Comment

Has anyone ever used this Disc conversion kit?

I am gonna jump in here and give you my two cents. I was contemplating buying John Draxler's disc brakes package but probably will not now, because of the cost. It is my understanding that in addition to the disc brake equipment themselves, there is a lot more that has to be swapped out, or added to make it work. A dual master cylinder, and several other components have to be added to make it all work. I dont remember what all they were right now. But I do remember the cost... About $1,800.

After lengthy conversations with John Draxler regarding his system he told me that 14"x6 or 14"x7 rims WILL work, but you have to have rims off of a 69-71 Torino, Ranchero, Granada or Mustang that was running disc brakes, according to John.

Lance of SW Tbirds told me the same, that 14" rims will work, but again, you they have to be 14"x6 or 14"x7. And he said it was best to get them off a 79-81 Lincoln Versialle or a Granada that was running disc brakes. He also said that disc brakes would NOT interfere with his front sway bar that he puts on the cars he modifies.

Another thing that Lance told me was that finding the right rims off of one of these cars that had disc brakes on it will probably also add to the cost. Anywhere from $75-$200 each for five rims. And you have to know what you are getting in the way of rims because someone could stick you with a set of rims that might not work on your car...
                  Last edited by YellowRose; April 17th, 2008, 01:19 AM. Reason: Additional information.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                  The Terminator..... VTCI #11178
                  Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

If I had to do it again, I'd go with the drop n' stop kit w/the Granada spindles. You could do the whole thing for about a grand.

My SBC kit was $600 and change. $1800 ?? Naaaaa!!!

You could just use the whole system off a Granada (calipers & all). Even using new calipers from the auto supply, tou could bet all the parts for a few hundred bucks.

Comment

When I did mine, the cost was under $550 for everything including a dual master cylinder. I picked up the master cylinder from NAPA for $45 and a kit from a company in Ca. The fact that i had upgraded to 16in. wheels a year earlier, made the conversion easy for me.

Comment

@Skyd: The picture on your Avatar looks awesome. Please bring in more pics!
                        sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth"
                        http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

Thanks anders. Here is link to a few I posted a while back in the, "our Rides" section.

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...?t=3030&page=3

I am working on some upgrades and hopefully will have them completed soon.

Comment

I am gonna jump in here and give you my two cents. I was contemplating buying John Draxler's disc brakes package but probably will not now, because of the cost. It is my understanding that in addition to the disc brake equipment themselves, there is a lot more that has to be swapped out, or added to make it work. A dual master cylinder, and several other components have to be added to make it all work. I dont remember what all they were right now. But I do remember the cost... About $1,800.
                            In my E-mails to him asking questions about this, he has said that the original master cylinder and booster is fine, no dual setup needed. The kit comes with a mechanism that balances the distribution between what is necessary for the new front disc brakes, and the original rear that takes care of that. No dual MC needed....

No new sway-bar...no modifications...the discs don't interfere with anything.

That being said....I have decided that I do not like the idea of 2 differing sets of wheels, though, and I don't like making such a big change from the original specs, and have instead ordered a completely original and new, all the way down to the spring-kits...front hub and brake system.

New brake cylinders, hubs, bearings, brakes, spring kits, master cylinder (Already have a new one) and am making new brake lines.

I will miss not having that extra brake power that discs bring, but I've decided that, (for me personally) keeping the car as original as possible outweigh the benefit of the conversion.

The only piece of the car that is non-original is the AC compressor itself and the 2 pressure hoses with it. I changed to the Sanden R134 compressor and had my condenser, dryer, glass, and hoses rebuilt...all for R134.

I really like the idea of the disc brakes, and was sooooooo close to converting...but instead I sprung about $370 for a complete new front system and am going to be happy with that.

Took me forever to make up my mind.

1)I have the rebuilt engine ready to re-install, new water pump, generator, starter...etc
                            2)I have the engine compartment painted and ready
                            3)I have the control-arms, springs, spindles, sandblasted, painted, and ready to re-install
                            4)I have the entire AC system renewed/rebuilt and aside from waiting for the dryer to be shipped back to me...it is ready to install
                            5)I have everything new from the front spindles-on-up ready to install.(waiting for a few parts to be shipped)

My suspension paint won't be to original specs. I have painted the control-arms with a metal-mask POR15, and the springs in a gray POR15, (ran out of the metal-mask topcoat) and will most likely keep the new hubs their metallic color as well.

It's been a long 3+months of working and waiting, and I probably have another month of re-assembly.

Whew.

Comment

Shawson:

I'd like to get new front and rear drums for my 60 on the next brake job. Where did you get yours from?
                              Bart
                              1960 Hard Top/430
                              Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Warning: include(test.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/squar229/public_html/vbulletin/index.php on line 78 Warning: include(test.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/squar229/public_html/vbulletin/index.php on line 78 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'test.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/opt/cpanel/ea-php72/root/usr/share/pear') in /home/squar229/public_html/vbulletin/index.php on line 78