Disc Brake Conversion Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disc Brake Conversion Kit

Just wondering if anyone had tried the bolt on front conversion kit from discbrakeconversionkit.com? They claim it works with 14 inch rims. Price $799.

Hi 430bird60,

I can't help you with info on that company but I believe you can do the same and save money by ordering the Scarebird brackets
    and all of the other items from RockAuto and end up with a bolt on kit for quite a bit less. I don't have my paperwork handy but I
    have all of the lower wheel parts and remember it being much less than $799. It might be worth a little time to check the members
    section for the list of items needed (DaveDares spreadsheet) and get the current pricing.
    Sorry I couldn't help you with info on the company your asking about and hope you take a little time to check into ordering the items
    yourself and maybe saving a fair amount in the process.

Good luck
    Pat M.
    Monson, MA
    1959 HT Hickory Tan, Thunderbird registry #77617

Comment

Look like about 200$ for brackets, and $170 or less for generic rotors/calipers.
      That leaves a lot of money for brake pads, bearings, brake lines, and dust seals.

https://scarebird.com/index.php?rout...product_id=224
      https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...AaAi54EALw_wcB
      https://www.partsgeek.com/p6dxwdr-ch...+Brake+Caliper
      59-430-HT

Comment

Power disc brakes were never offered for Squarebirds because of low demand. Systems designed for full size Fords will NOT work on a Squarebird because the firewall's master cylinder geometry on a Squarebird is so low. Our site has LOTS of information on this subject.

We (Howard Prout, Ray Clark & myself) put two systems together with two goals: Parts must be over the counter (bolt-on) and reasonably priced. That means, no unique or machined parts. There are many ways to get power front disc brakes but only two meet this criteria at the wheels:
        • Scarebird brackets on OEM spindles - This system uses Mustang rotors on our original bearings/seals/dust caps with S-10 calipers & pads. Because this system uses our existing spindles no front end alignment is necessary. A vast array of pad options are widely available for the S-10 or S-15 calipers at all auto parts stores across the USA, Mexico and Canada.
        • Lincoln Versailles (Granada) spindles - This could be an inexpensive system if the parts can be found at a bone yard and at a reasonable price. It also uses Ford calipers, rotors and pads. Front end alignment is necessary after installation.

OEM wheels were not made to accommodate calipers so they must be changed. Ford cars and trucks that came with disc brakes have 14" wheels that do fit, like Ranger, LTD or Mustang wheels.

The second half of this puzzle bolts to the firewall. If your Squarebird came with power brakes, the booster BRACKET may be re-used with extensions to hold a two-stage modern booster. All hardware inside the cabin remains untouched but in the engine bay simple fabrication is necessary. Rivets must be cut off the old booster. Two square channels are added to accept the new booster's studs and the OEM bracket holes. So, two simple drill holes in each square tube are necessary.

If your Squarebird did NOT come with a firewall booster, then there is only one company that sells a bracket. Unfortunately, they include the bracket with a booster and won't sell them separately.

I have both (Scarebird & Granada) systems on my classic Ford cars. I have no preference because they both ad TREMENDOUS improvement in braking, just like a modern car. I have never heard of anyone who reverted back to drum brakes (and neither did the OEMs). The car always stops in a straight line and a 'power stop' will put you through the windshield if you don't have seat belts. - Dave
        My latest project:
        CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I definetly would like to save money if I can. I have 14 inch Coker wire wheels on the car. Maybe they will work going the way you described. Anyone know? Thanks.

Comment

Yes, Coker knows. Call them and ask if they are 'disc brake' ready.
            My latest project:
            CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
            X