• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pat in Ma
    Experienced
    • Dec 30 2018

Caliper question

Hi,

So I'm starting to collect the needed items to do a disk conversion, I ordered the Scarebird brackets and asked them to send a copy
    of the instructions and parts list so I could continue collecting parts. So the issue I have is that the Scarebird list says the calipers are
    for a 2wd version yet our Squarebird.ord listing shows them as 4wd parts, which is the correct version?

Thanks!
    Pat M.
    Monson, MA
    1959 HT Hickory Tan, Thunderbird registry #77617
  • del
    Retired Expert Enthusiast
    • May 11 2010

To quote Dave simplyconnected Dare from a previous post: "Brake Calipers - At first, we used the 4WD (S-10) style. I have them on my Galaxie. Then, Scarebird suggested using 2WD calipers. Turns out, the difference is where the banjo bolt connects to the caliper. 4X4 calipers connect on the back side (facing the spring). 2WD caliper banjo holes face the rear."

I can attest that the 4WD version caused me some extra work getting the flex lines to behave. Go with the 2WD version.
    Regards,
    Don Vincent
    Amherst NY
    1960 HT 352
    TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• Pat in Ma
      Experienced
      • Dec 30 2018

Don,

Thanks for the confirmation on the Scarebird instructions and recommendation.
      Pat M.
      Monson, MA

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

I have FWD calipers on our '59 Galaxie which uses the same spindle part numbers as the Squarebird. del is telling it straight, Scarebird first recommended using FWD so that's what I bought. If they are supplying the calipers with the kit that's even better yet. Both RWD and FWD work but the whole story also includes which length hyd hose you buy and which direction you point it. In other words, if you get a hose that's too short there will be constrained options as to which way the hose orients.
        Again, I'm using the FWD version and it works well. If I had it to do over I would probably buy the RWD caliper. It's a matter of preference. Just make sure the hose is clear of obstruction. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Pat in Ma
          Experienced
          • Dec 30 2018

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your update. So if I order the RWD calipers do you think the hoses recommended in your spreadsheet will still work? The ones listed on the Scarebirds
          instructions would measure 15.2 inches where as the ones in the spreadsheet are listed at 15.8 inches. Since they are longer by about a half inch they should be fine right?
          Curious on your opinion since you've already done a conversion and understand the hose routing. Thank you for all your help and shared knowledge on this site,
          Pat M.
          Monson, MA

Comment

• del
            Retired Expert Enthusiast
            • May 11 2010

Those hoses will work just fine.
            Regards,
            Don Vincent
            Amherst NY
            1960 HT 352
            TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• Pat in Ma
              Experienced
              • Dec 30 2018

Hi Don,

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I'm looking forward to performing this upgrade later on this year when I have some free time to
              pull the front end apart. I'll probably do a few other items at the same time. Thanks again!
              Pat M.
              Monson, MA

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎