Wheels after Disc brakes conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels after Disc brakes conversion

I am looking at buying some steel wheels off of craigslist just to get the car back on the ground. The 14" wheels on the car obviously dont fit (Hit the caliper). I guy on craigslist is selling 4 14" wheels off of a toyota camry. 6.5Jx14 ET40 wheel size
    and 195/70R14 tire size. These wheels are 5x4.5 5x114.3 so am good on bolt pattern. Will these fit? Like I said this is only a temporary fix until I have the funds for new wheels.

Originally posted by Dan.loeb View Post
    I am looking at buying some steel wheels off of craigslist just to get the car back on the ground. The 14" wheels on the car obviously dont fit (Hit the caliper). I guy on craigslist is selling 4 14" wheels off of a toyota camry. 6.5Jx14 ET40 wheel size
    and 195/70R14 tire size. These wheels are 5x4.5 5x114.3 so am good on bolt pattern. Will these fit? Like I said this is only a temporary fix until I have the funds for new wheels.
    So if one 14" rim doesn't fit I'm not sure why you would figure another one will? I have done a fair bit of reading on this and found although not always most conversion kits say you need a 15" rim. A couple of guys were able to use 14" rims by grinding a bit of metal off the tops of the calipers.

But safe bet is, one 14" rim doesn't fit, all 14" rims don't fit
    Scott
    South Delta, BC, Canada
    1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
    Red Leather Interior!
    www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
    Thunderbird Registry #61266
    http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Some of the 14" rims are compatible with a disc brake set up. If I remember from previous posts, the Granada rims would work. Also, Daleo56 bought a set of 14" rims, disc compatible, from Summit Racing, and they worked fine.
      Another friend just did the Wilwood conversion and used his 14" chrome spoke rims and that also worked.
      If the Camry had discs, you have a chance of them working. Only way to really know is to try it. Maybe you can negotiate something with the seller.
      Just a few data points.
      Nyles

Originally posted by sidewalkman View Post
      So if one 14" rim doesn't fit I'm not sure why you would figure another one will? I have done a fair bit of reading on this and found although not always most conversion kits say you need a 15" rim. A couple of guys were able to use 14" rims by grinding a bit of metal off the tops of the calipers.

But safe bet is, one 14" rim doesn't fit, all 14" rims don't fit

Comment

Wheels after Disc brakes conversion

There is a list of 14" rims from Ford equipped disc brake equipped cars that WILL work. Like mid 70's Granada 14" rims on disc brake equipped Granada's and many other Fords with 14" rims and disc brakes. Check out the list! Mine has 5 70's Granada disc brake equipped rims on her... This subject can be found in this sub-forum, and also for Paid Members, they can find the list in the Members Conference Forum...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Tbird1044 View Post
          Some of the 14" rims are compatible with a disc brake set up. If I remember from previous posts, the Granada rims would work. Also, Daleo56 bought a set of 14" rims, disc compatible, from Summit Racing, and they worked fine.
          Another friend just did the Wilwood conversion and used his 14" chrome spoke rims and that also worked.
          If the Camry had discs, you have a chance of them working. Only way to really know is to try it. Maybe you can negotiate something with the seller.
          Just a few data points.
          Nyles
          I stand corrected. I had read about the Granada rims. See if you can pick up some of those, they're pretty cheap. Or failing that you can go to an tire shop, get them to cross reference some steel rims to a Granada rim and you're likely good to go.

I'm pretty sure every Camry ever made was at least front wheel disc. I'd worry more about the offset.
          Scott
          South Delta, BC, Canada
          Red Leather Interior!

Comment

Here's a challenge for you, sidewalkman...
            See if you can find a decent set of Granada rims. I know you're in the Vancouver, BC area so they should have some. Let us know how many you found and how much money they want. - Dave
            My latest project:
            CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Originally posted by simplyconnected View Post
              Here's a challenge for you, sidewalkman...
              See if you can find a decent set of Granada rims. I know you're in the Vancouver, BC area so they should have some. Let us know how many you found and how much money they want. - Dave
              I'll look, we have a real shortage of auto wreckers (recyclers they're now called) and even fewer of them who stock anything older than 2005. Land prices here have gone up so far it doesn't pay to have anything that takes a lot of room. In the last 10 years I've seen in this area about 50 wreckers close their doors for good.
              Scott
              South Delta, BC, Canada
              Red Leather Interior!

Comment

Working...
              X
              Warning: include(test.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/squar229/public_html/vbulletin/index.php on line 78 Warning: include(test.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/squar229/public_html/vbulletin/index.php on line 78 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'test.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/opt/cpanel/ea-php72/root/usr/share/pear') in /home/squar229/public_html/vbulletin/index.php on line 78