Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SSBC Non-Power-Disk Brake Kit + Under-Dash Booster = Soft Pedal

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • SSBC Non-Power-Disk Brake Kit + Under-Dash Booster = Soft Pedal

    ****o!

    I have installed and tested my SSBC A152 disk brake kit on our 1959 Thunderbird, but to our surprise, our vehicle is equipped with an under-dash booster that we need to remove or bypass. As I understand, the booster is very weak and cannot supply the adequate amount of pressure required for disk brakes. The pedal is very soft no matter how much you bleed the master cylinder and brake cylinders.

    As stated in the instructions, the disk brake kit is to be used with non-power thunderbirds, but does this mean I cannot add the firewall booster and I must go directly from the brake pedal to the master cylinder?

    I've browsed these forums and have found a couple members have left the booster in place and installed the firewall booster on top of this one with different brake kits, but can this be done in this particular application?

    SSBC A152 Instructions:

    http://ssbrakes.com/files/2015%20Instructions/a152.pdf

    Thanks!

  • #2
    As I stated in the PM to you, the old treadle-vac only attaches to the brake pedal. You may leave it or remove it.

    Firewall boosters are ~10" in diameter. To clear your shift linkage, the booster must be raised five inches. In order to do that a firewall bracket with a pivot link must be used. In order for the pivot link to deflect, it must have another five inches between the booster and the firewall. Sorry, but the firewall bracket requires this room.

    You already paid Summit $860 for a disk brake system. I suggest you go back and get them to supply the parts you need for their system to work on your Squarebird. I don't know how you mounted your new M/C with two holes, onto a firewall with four holes. On the passenger's side is the brake pedal support bracket that bolts to the firewall. It's no wonder why you have a soft pedal because your M/C isn't solidly mounted to the brake pedal support. Stability requires four bolts.

    We don't sell parts but some of our members have purchased their booster/MC/firewall bracket from Master Power Brakes. This is the only company I know of that sells a booster system that works.
    - Dave
    Attached Files
    My latest project:
    CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

    "We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

    From: Royal Oak, Michigan

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by simplyconnected View Post
      As I stated in the PM to you, the old treadle-vac only attaches to the brake pedal. You may leave it or remove it.

      Firewall boosters are ~10" in diameter. To clear your shift linkage, the booster must be raised five inches. In order to do that a firewall bracket with a pivot link must be used. In order for the pivot link to deflect, it must have another five inches between the booster and the firewall. Sorry, but the firewall bracket requires this room.

      You already paid Summit $860 for a disk brake system. I suggest you go back and get them to supply the parts you need for their system to work on your Squarebird. I don't know how you mounted your new M/C with two holes, onto a firewall with four holes. On the passenger's side is the brake pedal support bracket that bolts to the firewall. It's no wonder why you have a soft pedal because your M/C isn't solidly mounted to the brake pedal support. Stability requires four bolts.

      We don't sell parts but some of our members have purchased their booster/MC/firewall bracket from Master Power Brakes. This is the only company I know of that sells a booster system that works.
      - Dave
      So why is the brake peda support bracket on the passenger side?

      Also, it sounds like Master Power Brakes has what I need to finish this up?

      Comment


      • #4
        ABS Power Brakes sells booster/MC/prop valve kits for 58-60 Tbirds, too, as well as the individual parts. I have not installed mine yet, but checked for fit and it should be fine with a left mount bracket for the prop valve.

        Here is a thread on installation:
        http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...ad.php?t=19046
        Todd Gilroy
        1960 Tbird Convertible
        Thunderbird Registry #54651

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by toddgilroy View Post
          ABS Power Brakes sells booster/MC/prop valve kits for 58-60 Tbirds, too, as well as the individual parts.
          Really? Ray and I have bent over backwards trying to purchase just the firewall bracket. They would only sell their bracket with a booster and master as a unit. Maybe you might have better luck. Find out how much they want for just the bracket. - Dave
          My latest project:
          CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

          "We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

          From: Royal Oak, Michigan

          Comment


          • #6
            I checked with ABS when I bought my unit and they would not sell the bracket by itself. They do sell calipers, pads etc.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              I was referring to the booster, MC and valve as the individual parts they sell. Maybe they would sell a booster with the bracket attached if he already has the MC.

              Originally posted by simplyconnected View Post
              Really? Ray and I have bent over backwards trying to purchase just the firewall bracket. They would only sell their bracket with a booster and master as a unit. Maybe you might have better luck. Find out how much they want for just the bracket. - Dave
              Todd Gilroy
              1960 Tbird Convertible
              Thunderbird Registry #54651

              Comment


              • #8
                I am using the complete ABS kit in my 59. Customer service at ABS is tough to deal with. Their is a slight communication barrier with some of the reps and after a few conversations over the phone I eventually discovered that emailing was the most effective means of communicating.

                It took about a month for them to send all of the correct parts. It took such a long time that I thought about disputing the charges with my credit card until all the parts were delivered. In the end, everything was delivered and after two years the items in the kit still work properly.

                The kit I ordered needed to work with both 14 inch wheels and factory AC.

                I also left the original KH booster under the dash.

                Comment

                Working...
                X
                Warning: include(test.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/squar229/public_html/vbulletin/index.php on line 78 Warning: include(test.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/squar229/public_html/vbulletin/index.php on line 78 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'test.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/opt/cpanel/ea-php72/root/usr/share/pear') in /home/squar229/public_html/vbulletin/index.php on line 78