brake disc conversion parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake disc conversion parts

I need to purchase some parts for my square birds braking system. it looks like it has got the parts listed for the disc conversion.
    http://www.squarebirds.org/disc_brake.htm
    Can anyone advise me whom best to purchase them from online that does international shipping as i need them shipped to the UAE.
    Thanks
    Rob.

I would not go with the Granada setup. That requires you to change out the spindles. Instead go with the Scarebird adapter kit https://scarebird.com/ That enables you to reuse your stock spindles. Follow these instructions instead. You can substitute 1968 Mustang rotors instead of the Granada rotors and Chevy S-10 calipers.
    http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...Conversion.htm

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

There's a great thread related to the disc brake conversion done by Marcello. It has all the info you should need plus it has great step by step photos.

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...ad.php?t=12914

Comment

Thanks for the advise but it already has the conversion, i need brake pads, discs and hoses to fit them as they are worn out.

Im having problems getting parts sent to the uae, so if you can recommend a supplier that does international shipping i would be grateful.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Have you tried Rock Auto. I'm sure they do international shipping. The problem you will have is knowing what parts were installed during the conversion. Do you have GM or Ford calipers? What year? I would check and see if you can find a part number. Without that it's going to be impossible to get the correct pads.

John

Comment

Sorry for all the questions.

This project is proving more difficult than i expected.
            One - I've never seen a thunderbird until this one - being british.
            Two - in Dubai classic cars are few and far between.
            three - no one has any parts or knowledge here so I'm having to research everything.

the callipers have ford badges on them and the wheels on the car have slots - not solid?

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Regarding the wheels on the car having slots, someone in the past had to replace the 14" OEM non-disc brake compatible rims with ones that were (assuming that they are 14" & not 15" or bigger). I got my 14" rims off a disc brake equipped '70's Granada and they also have the slots in them. I would not think the rims are a problem, but trying to determine what parts are needed to replace the worn ones is.. As John mentioned Rock Auto is probably good place to order your parts from, because they also give us a 5% discount when ordering online. Any chance of contacting the previous owner(s) and see what information they can give you on this?
              Last edited by YellowRose; March 24th, 2015, 12:58 PM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

I can't tell by the picture what calipers you have. I would remove the pads and compare them to the pictures on the Rock Auto web site. I would look at mid-late 70's Ford pads such as Granada, Thunderbird, etc. Also compare them with Mustang pads from the late 60's. As for the hoses I would just measure them and get Ford hoses that are the same length and have the same type fittings. As Ray suggested if you can contact the previous owner maybe he can give you some specifics on what parts were used during the upgrade.

John

Comment

Look familiar?
                  John is right. Start at rockauto.com and search brake parts for a 1975-1980 Ford Granada. Buy pads, rotors and brake lines to fit this caliper.
                  Take more pictures so we can see what you have more clearly. Back up another foot or so when you take the pictures (yes, more than two) because it's hard to see the forest for the trees. Pull the tire off so we can see your rotor. It also helps if you include tape measure graduations in the pictures.

This same caliper fits all of these applications:
                  FORD GRANADA (1975 - 1980)
                  FORD MAVERICK (1974 - 1977)
                  FORD MUSTANG II (1974 - 1978)
                  FORD PINTO (1974 - 1980)
                  LINCOLN VERSAILLES (1977 - 1980)
                  MERCURY BOBCAT (1975 - 1980)
                  MERCURY COMET (1976 - 1977)
                  MERCURY MONARCH (1975 - 1980)
                  Originally posted by uaesquarebird View Post
                  ...This project is proving more difficult than i expected.
                  One - I've never seen a thunderbird until this one - being british...
                  Thunderbirds aren't British, they are genuine Detroit iron. - Dave
                  My latest project:
                  CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                  --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Thanks for your help and advice!!

I will get some better shots tomorrow armed with a wire brush to look for numbers.

here's a few shots i already have, although they look like something from the titanic!

Just read your last comment, Im British - not the car!
                    I was born in the wrong time and wrong place, i've always wanted an american car but living in the uk the fuel cost was to expensive. Now I'm in the UAE i thought it the ideal time to live out my dream of owning a piece of american history.
                    Just got to get it on the road before summer, on it'll have to wait until winter due to the 50 degree sun.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Comparing them to the pictures on the Rock Auto site they look identical to 1975-80 Granada calipers. I think you are safe in ordering the Granada pads. As far as the hoses go the instructions in the Technical Resource Library that you referenced used 1979-85 Buick Riviera hoses; Raybestos part #BH36959.

John

Comment

Maybe this will help in finding brake hoses..

http://www.yoyopart.com/oem/11121392...-bh36959.html#

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178
                        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

Ahhh - so that's where the other Thunderbird is that has Granada spindles (I think we must be the only 2)

I converted mine 10+ years ago using Granada parts. Those calipers look the same as what is on my car so I would agree with John that it would be a safe bet on the Granada pads.

I couldn't make any of the hoses that were mentioned work on my conversion but there was very little info 10 years ago. Always ran into interference problems with the hose hitting the spindle or not being long enough and would bind when the wheels were turned to the maximum range.

I finally used a 90 deg hose set and ordered a Banjo bolt to fit the hoses. Wasn't really 100% happy with the fit (I'm very picky) but they have held up fine.

Hopefully Rock Auto will ship to the UAE....

This info is 10+ years old so some of the places may be out of business. The hoses didn't fit like I wanted them to so I trimmed a bit off the edge of the caliper to give the hose a downward angle to keep it as far away from the spring tower as possible. You can make your own decision on whether or not you would want to use these.

Master Power Brakes
                          part number - HS88520K hose kit '16 inch for GM 69-77 single piston caliper

Baker Precision Products
                          part number - 150/977522 Banjo bolts with washers 7/16-24 threads per inch.
                          The invoice does not mention how long they were but you should be able to measure your caliper bolt depth and the hose end width to see if the 1 or 1 1/8 banjo bolts will work.

Unknown sources but most likely NAPA, Advance Auto or O'Riley.
                          1) part number - 4000 - left front Granada caliper
                          1) part number - 4001 - right front Granada caliper
                          2) part number - 5670098 - Granada rotors (1976) (Advance Auto)

Good luck,
                          Eric

Comment

Thanks for all your help and advise.
                            I would be screwed without all your help!
                            I'm gonna take a look now and try and order these parts.

Comment

Don't order parts until you show us pictures of your rotor. Yours may be different. Wait, now I see your rotors and yes, they are Granada. Go ahead and order your parts.
                              My latest project:
                              CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Warning: include(test.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/squar229/public_html/vbulletin/index.php on line 78 Warning: include(test.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/squar229/public_html/vbulletin/index.php on line 78 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'test.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/opt/cpanel/ea-php72/root/usr/share/pear') in /home/squar229/public_html/vbulletin/index.php on line 78