Disc brakes for my 1960 T Bird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disc brakes for my 1960 T Bird

Can anybody tell me If I can or can't use the brake booster that came with my 1960 Thunderbird. If not why?

If I can find a dual chamber M/C that will bolt on the booster that came with the car it would save a lot of work.

This has been covered many times. No, the stock booster will not work with disc brakes. Disc brakes take far more pressure to stop then drum brakes and the booster is woefully inadequate. You can send it away to Dewey's booster service and have it modified so it will work with disc brakes. He also modifies the face so it will work with a Ford two bolt master cylinder.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

I sent a PM to Larry last Monday regarding this and using Marcello's setup as an example:
      Originally posted by simplyconnected
      Larry, this retrofit has been done many times, now. Marcelo in NY has nearly the exact same setup as yours. Marcelo also took fabulous pictures. Follow his thread:
      http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...t=12914&page=2
      Check Pirate Jack as well.

We use the largest booster that will fit; a two stage 8". We also use a Corvette style 1" bore dual M/C.

All of our parts are made and sold through MBM. They also come with a lifetime warranty.

The only change Marcello did was to mount his valve on the fender apron.

Look on eBay for the best prices. Check Pirate Jack as well. - Dave

Originally posted by lnoska
      Hi Dave I believe I have a stock M/C and booster combo. What M/C do you think I should use? Can I just bolt it to the Booster then add the combination valve? What about the stop light switch? Do you have any thoughts on this.

Larry
      PS.
      I have a update on most of the parts, prices and part # The stores in my backyard are Napa, O'Relly and Autozone.

Larry
      My latest project:
      CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
      X
      Warning: include(test.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/squar229/public_html/vbulletin/index.php on line 78 Warning: include(test.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/squar229/public_html/vbulletin/index.php on line 78 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'test.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/opt/cpanel/ea-php72/root/usr/share/pear') in /home/squar229/public_html/vbulletin/index.php on line 78