Identifying C6 transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying C6 transmission

Requesting information to determine vehicle this transmission was designed for,

There should be a tag on the driver side. If that's missing it's going to be nearly impossible to correctly identify it. If you can find a part number that starts with a C or a D that would help narrow it down to at least a decade but it isn't going to give you a particular year or model car.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

John is right, Ford made the C6 in five different bell housing varieties (bolt patterns) for use with various Ford engine families:
      • The Windsor pattern was used on the 300 I6, the Ford Windsor engines and the 351 Cleveland.
      • The 460 pattern was used on the 351M and 400 and all of the Ford "385" engines.
      • The FE pattern was used on the FE engines
      • The rare 66 - 68 Lincoln MEL 462 pattern which was used on 66 - 68 Lincoln Continentals with the 462 engine and also on 68 - 69 Lincoln Continentals with the 460. This pattern rounds off on the passenger side to clear the heat/AC box on the 66 - 69 Lincoln firewall.
      • Diesel pattern. This was similar to the FE/"385" pattern but the two are not interchangeable.

I like to buy FE engines WITH the transmission still bolted together (with the intention of overhauling both). That way, all the parts are there, including bolts. - Dave
      My latest project:
      CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Here is a quick way to identify your C6 bell housing, which is cast into the transmission case:

c6-BoltPatterns.jpg
        My latest project:
        CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
        X