Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cb123
    • Sep 21 2020

58' Edsel power steering question

What kind of power steering fluid should I use? On its dipstick it reads trans. type A. Also, just one more question: Would Valvoline 20/50 high-zinc racing oil be a good oil to use, with its next oil change? The engine is the original E 400. Thanks!!!
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

I've always used Ford trans fluid in my Ford power steering pumps. (It needs to be red.)
    I would put that oil in my Harley. For the car, I won't go over '40' in the numbers. My oil of choice for a flat tappet engine is Rotella 15W-40. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

As Dave mentioned stick with Type F transmission fluid. That's the modern equivalent of Type A. I also recommend Rotella T 15W-40. I've used it in a number of cars with flat tappets. There are certainly more expensive oils you can buy but I don't see any reason to spend more money than necessary. It will do the job.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• cb123
        • Sep 21 2020

Thanks Dave and John for your response! I checked with my local auto store, and they didn't have Shall Rotella Diesel Oil 15W-40. Would STP Pro Formula 10W-40 with Lucas TB Zinc-Plus be a good substitute? Many thanks again, Craig

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Try Walmart. They always seem to have it.

John

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Craig lives in, I gather, a small town with no Walmart. Here is what I was able to find for him. This is the Walmart that looks to be closest to ya from your town, 15-20 miles away... 1095 Industrial Parkway, Saraland 251-675-8000. According to their ad on their website, as John said, they seem to stock this oil. Here is their ad.

Container sez $12.47 1 Gal. Ad sez $12.37qt... Ad sez In Stock, Store pickup offered.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

John is right, your Mobile, Alabama Walmart stores will have it. Citronelle, Alabama has O'Reilly's and an AutoZone that should carry it too. So. either south or north of you are plenty of places that carry Rotella-T 15W-40. I do not recommend using synthetic unless your engine has an overheating problem.

Car engine oil used to come with a API Service Rating of 'DS' that meant, 'diesel severe'. Diesel engines run much higher compressions and all engine oil burns. Rotella is a 'low ash' oil meaning, it doesn't leave a ton of ash in your oil pan. Gas engines don't need this feature. Since piston rings rotate, at some point all the end gaps align, then they don't. When they do, each power stroke sends 'blow torch' flames down your oil pan. We call it 'blowby'. The only real filtration is when you change your oil.

I use Rotella in my lawn mower and in my portable power generator (air-cooled Briggs & Stratton engines) as well as my Ford 292 Y-block, all flat tappet engines. I stay away from additives. There is enough ZDDP (zinc and phosphorus) in Rotella to keep my engines very happy.

For storing ALL small engines, I used to run the gas out but there's always some gas left in places. Now, instead of using Sta-bil, I drain the tank then mix in a good concentration of 2-cycle oil with a little gas, add that to the tank and run the engine to empty the fuel lines out. I got tired of replacing shut-off valves, frozen from varnish and that small amount left in the carb bowls. 2-cycle oil stops the gas from turning to varnish and it readily mixes with fresh gas upon re-startup. - Dave
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• cb123
                • Sep 21 2020

Thanks Ray, Dave, and John!!! I got the Rotella, today! You guys are certainly a wealth of experience, know-how, and knowledge -- and are greatly appreciated, too!!! You guys explain everything so well, and many warm thanks again. Dave, an extra thanks for the info on the 2-cycle oil -- will do!!!

Here's something which happened to me just, today. I was driving across town, around thirty miles or so to get its windshield repaired, when suddenly the Teletouch on the Edsel wouldn't shift out of drive. My nephew had to get out of the car and go under the transmission, and shift it manually with his hand. He said it was extremely hot to the touch, and that it was only about five inches away from the muffler pipe. Once it cooled it shifted normally. I'm hoping it's just a heat related problem causing undo expansion, and most likely it needs all of its moving parts lubricated, also.

Is there any kind of heat wrap for the muffler pipe you could possible recommend? -- Craig

P.S. The Teletouch motor looks to be rebuilt and is in fairly clean condition.

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Here is some information on the 1958 Edsel Village Teletouch Automatic Tranny, a picture of what it looks like for those of you unfamiliar with an Edsel tranny. Also here is a link to the 1958 Teletouch Automatic Tranny manual in .pdf format, in case you need it, Craig. Unfortunately, it is not the complete manual, but they are for sale on eBay if you need one. Here also is some information on heat shield products that you might want to check out...

https://www.heatshieldproducts.com/b...er-heat-issues

Second Skin's sound & thermal insulation material will improve any car restoration. Use the best car heat insulation will keep your vehicle comfortable.

http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Mu...at-Shields.htm

http://www.internationaledsel.com/as...or-website.pdf
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 3 photos.
                  Last edited by YellowRose; September 24, 2020, 02:19 AM.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

That seems to be a common problem. There's supposed to be a heat shield to help protect the motor but many times it gets removed. Even with it heat will make the motor malfunction as you described. Putting a heat shield around the exhaust should help.

John

Comment

• cb123
                      • Sep 21 2020

Thanks Ray and John! I'm going with the heat shield wrap for sure. But this morning when I went to crank the Edsel, the brand new battery was nearly dead, and the teletouch motor was very warm to the touch. Once I took care of the battery issue, the teletouch would not shift out of park. Sounds like a carbon-trace in the gear box mechanism -- not sure since I haven't taken it apart. I think I'll have it rebuilt, as well as its relays. Thanks guys, and once again you are the greatest!!!
                      Last edited by YellowRose; November 2, 2020, 12:05 PM.

Comment

• cb123
                        • Sep 21 2020

Thanks Ray, for all the information! I'll sure give Mike Brogan a call in the morning. Thanks so much again, Craig

Comment

• cb123
                          • Sep 21 2020

The package is in the mail!!! Thanks again, Ray

Comment

• YellowRose
                            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

You got in contact with Mike Brogan and shipped it to him to be fixed? If so, that is great! Hopefully, you will get it back quickly from him and in good working condition. While you wait though, you can work on wrapping that exhaust with heat shield material to prevent that from happening in the future..

Comment

• cb123
                              • Sep 21 2020

Ray, it is on the way to Mike as we speak. I should have it back in a week or so -- if all goes well. I just ordered some wrap from a "site" you provided for me. Thanks Ray, you guys are the best!!! -- Craig

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎