X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hazegray53
    Apprentice
    • Jan 9 2015

Kickdown Adjustment Holley Carb

I've spent this week reading every thread i could find on this topic, called Holley and Lokar and still don't have an answer. The kickdown on my cruiseomatic only attaches to the throttle linkage. It does not attach to the carb. I purchased and received Holleys street avenger carb but have not tried to install just yet. Can I install this carb and leave the original kickdown setup? Do i even need to use the spring and kickdown bracket that holley provides?
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I've used both Holley and Edelbrock carbs and have only hooked up the throttle rod. I've used the stock kickdown on the throttle linkage and haven't had any issue. Make sure the throttle rod is adjusted correctly so the throttle plates fully open.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Hazegray53
      Apprentice
      • Jan 9 2015

Ok thank you! I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work the same. So do I just leave out the spring and kickdown bracket that holley provides with the carb?

Thomas

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

There's no reason to put it on if you aren't going to use it. Holley's are generic carburetors made for a variety of different make, model and year vehicles. Some vehicles require that the kickdown rod be connected directly to the carburetor. Most 50's and 60's Fords with a COM or Ford-o-matic don't need it since it's incorporated into the linkage.

John

Comment

• Hazegray53
          Apprentice
          • Jan 9 2015

Thanks again John. I sorta figured it was that simple but wanted to verify before i went and broke something. Surprised Holley couldn't give me an answer.

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Hazegray53
            Surprised Holley couldn't give me an answer.
            It's nearly impossible for Holley or any carburetor manufacturer to have specific fitment details for the hundreds of different models of cars that it will fit. Rather than give incorrect info they would rather leave it up to you to do your own trial and error.

John

Comment

• Hazegray53
              Apprentice
              • Jan 9 2015

That makes sense. Well I had the time this weekend to get the carb installed and dialed in. It's a world of difference. I think the old autolite had about all it could take without major overhaul. As always, thanks again for the great help i always get in these forums.

Thomas

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I've found that today's modern carburetors do much better with the Ethanol based fuels than the old Autolite. Glad we can help you out.

John

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎