Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eric S
    Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

Is replacing the intake manifold just a matter of unbolting replacing gasket and rebolting with no tricky think to do like using gasket compound,using a 3rd or 4th hand or other miserable surprise?
    beside removing carb hoses and wires of course

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The Y block intake is fairly light. I doubt you will need help to remove and install it. I always use Permatex sealer where coolant passes through the intake gasket. Other than torquing the bolts to the right spec there's not much to it.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• paul274854
        Apprentice
        • Mar 10 2011

The white wire looks like the one that goes to the oil pressure sender located on the lower block, drivers side. Typically, it runs through the rubber part of the spark plug wire grommet
        Midland Park, NJ
        56 TBird, 54 Ford, 48 Ford,

Comment

• Eric S
          Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

Thank you Paul, you're right as it goes into of the spark plug wire grommets. I had a quick look on the left side of the engine but did not find where it could plug, maybe closer to the oil filter then.

Comment

• paul274854
            Apprentice
            • Mar 10 2011

The oil pressure sending unit is in front of the oil filter

Originally posted by Eric S
            Thank you Paul, you're right as it goes into of the spark plug wire grommets. I had a quick look on the left side of the engine but did not find where it could plug, maybe closer to the oil filter then.
            Midland Park, NJ
            56 TBird, 54 Ford, 48 Ford,

Comment

• Eric S
              Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

Still have to check for that wire.
              For now carburetor is in pieces and clean and started putting it back together.
              Mike from Mike's carburetor is helpfull but still have some questions.
              -Clip between needle and float is missing. Mike said I can leave without but would like to see one and see if I can make one.
              - I have no long tiny spring on accelerating pump. Mike said not all car have one!? What dimension are they and are they used on 56s?
              - how do I check for float height?

More questions when I will be back from week-end holiday and started assembling other parts...

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The shop manual has detailed instructions and pictures on how to rebuild your carburetor including how to adjust the float and an exploded parts view.

John

Comment

• Eric S
                  Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

Can I download it somewhere?

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You downloaded it from our server on May 9th of 2019 after both myself and Ray Clark sent you the link.

John

Comment

• Eric S
                      Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

I can't believe one can have such a memory, I barely remember what I did last week.
                      Seriously, I got 1960 manuals, that I can remember. As for 56 I never or rarely used it if I downloaded it but I will check when back home..

Comment

• Eric S
                        Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

Back home I found the 1956 Ford Car Shop Manual in my files and yes I never opened it so far.
                        Thank you John !!

Comment

• jopizz
                          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Good to hear that you found it. The section on carburetors is pretty in-depth so it should help you out rebuilding yours.

John

Comment

• Eric S
                            Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

Hey John, not a problem to find it, I am pretty well organised (to some limit !) but I had to remember I had it.
                            It is now partially printed.

As for the carburetor, it is now cleaned and partly re-assembled.
                            Problems are :
                            - I had no float to needle clip. Mike (from Mike's carburetor) told me it is not mandatory?
                            - I had no Accelerating Pump return spring. Anyone has some dimensions?
                            - I had no Valve Diaphragm Check and Retainer. Is it important?
                            - Repair kit came with a Seal Air Horn made of some kind of cotton cloth. Does it have to be air tight? Do you need to grease it to hold it in place or any other tip? It's too long and required to be cut, does it have to be cut a bit long to overlap the ends?

And at the end of the battle, I have an extra spring !
                            It is shown beside the accelerating pump rod spring and its felt seal and washers. The one on the bottom.
                            20200804_220625[1].jpg
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Eric S; August 5, 2020, 12:13 PM.

Comment

• jopizz
                              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I have not personally rebuilt one of the Holley 4000 carburetors. I do know that it was recommended not to use a diaphragm check ball on automatic transmissions. However that was many years ago and may not still be relevant. I don't think it will hurt to use it if it came in the rebuild kit. I've seen quite a few needle valves without the retainer clip so it's not unusual. Once again if the kit came with one I would use it. As far as the air horn seal according to the picture it just joins in the front. It does not overlap. If you need to hold it in place a little grease will probably work fine. I don't know about the return spring. Did you ask Mike if they carry it. By the way your .jpg image is not showing up. Try reattaching it.

John

holley diagram.jpg

Comment

• Eric S
                                Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

None of the missing parts were in the kit, otherwise it would not be a concern.
                                Mike has none available either.
                                Now the car was running not too bad without those parts BUT the carb was slightly leaking. Per Mike it was leaking from the throttle shafts because of getting too full (flooding). I am wondering is the problem was because one of those missing parts...

I recalled the picture.
                                Last edited by Eric S; February 7, 2022, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎