This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:08 PM

jmsreed is on a distinguished road

Well, it took a couple more weeks to get to than I had planned but as it turns out the lock mechanism is in perfect working order. The problem was that when I closed the trunk lid the last time I closed a chair cover in the lock and seized the mechanism. I pulled the back seat and was able to get to everything with a hook.

Thanks again for all the help. Dan is right, Squarebird folks are the best!

JR
Old 12-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Jesse,
Glad it worked out for ya! That's what we are here for!
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 06-11-2012, 04:00 AM

1960Thunderbird is on a distinguished road
Default Removal of rear seats, trunk latch, and how they work (with video)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Weaver View Post
When I brought my 60 home from a junk yard the trunk latch was rusted tight. I removed the rear seat and use a 3/8" drive socket set and a chain of extensions to remove the two bolts that hole the lower assemble in place (bolts 20327-3). If I remember correctly they are 7/16 and I used a 6 point socket. It took two people one to turn the ratchet and one to support and guide the array of extensions. I got mine I hope you get yours.
I know this is an old post, but I just had to go through the whole process myself to get my rusted latch apart and finally be able to open the trunk after 9 or so years. Thanks to the info from others on here, I was set on the right path, but wanted to add to it with step-by-step instructions, correct bolt sizes, and a video link for those that would like it.

-Pull up on the bottom of the rear seat and it will pop up. Remove.
-Seatback removes with two flat head screws on edges and two 3/8" head bolts on bottom. Seatback then slides down and out.
-Remove cardboard piece carefully from tabs and push inside trunk to allow access through the 4 holes going into the trunk area.
-Make about a 4 foot super-long extension (duct tape extensions together and use 1/2" (or 13mm) 6 point socket at end to loosen and remove the two bolts holding the latch on.

Latch will come free and you will now be able to open your trunk!

Took me about 5 minutes to take seat out, and about 30 minutes to undo bolts due to all the stuff crammed in the trunk! Much easier if the spare is not in there!

I also made a video on the removal process and how the locking mechanism works, and posted it on YouTube.
http://youtu.be/tYoJOrcGcFI

Hope this helps anyone else with a '58-'60 T-Bird!
Old 06-11-2012, 04:57 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Trunk Lock/Latch Problem

Hi Richard,

Thank you for documenting the procedures, along with the video clip, of how to get into the trunk to get the latch released. It has been covered before, but not with a video clip of how to do it. I would like your permission to take your step by step procedures, and the video clip, put it into a web page and place it in the Technical Resource Library (TRL) for future use. I know that down the road, someone else is going to have the same problem, as they have in the past. With it documented like this, it will be a big help to them to look it up in the TRL and do it.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 07-02-2012, 04:24 PM

1960Thunderbird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
Hi Richard,

I would like your permission to take your step by step procedures, and the video clip, put it into a web page and place it in the Technical Resource Library (TRL) for future use.
I am fine with that.
I will likely film more of the procedures that I go through in the future and post those as well... if you would like to use those that will be fine as well.
Videos have been so helpful in the restoration of a couple of other vehicles I have worked on, I would like to help others with these 1958-1960 T-birds in the same way.
Thank you!
(If you start making money on it, we can work out a percentage that you can throw my way... ok?)
Old 07-02-2012, 05:16 PM

Thank you, Richard. I will start putting the instructions, video clip, and link to this thread into a web page which will be added to the Trunk section of the TRL. I am sure it will be a great help to others in the future who run into this problem. We thank you for allowing us to make good use of it. I will let ya'll know when I have it posted.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 07-02-2012, 07:12 PM

The article and video that Richard Hamm created is now part of the Technical Resource Library (TRL), along with this thread. You will find it in the Trunk section of the TRL. Thank you very much, Richard!

"It's Hip To Be Square"