This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road
Default Poor / Odd Handling

Since I rebuilt my suspension a couple years ago, I've been pleased with the decreased bobbing over bumps due to the new shocks and more precision in the steering due to tighter bushings & components, but it still doesn't quite handle teh way I had hoped.

Though the bobbing has been reduced, there is still some 'shimmy' in the way it moves up and down. It doesn't simply rise and fall evenly, it bounces with an oscillation, for lack of a better word. It seems that one side is 'peaking' before the other. So, the left may hit the top of it's travel and start down again before the right gets to it's peak.

Also, although it seems to actually corner equally well in both directions, when going around a left hander it seems to take a more confident 'set' than when going around a right hander. Going right feels rather tentative and unsure, with more lean - almost as though the rockers are going to drag the ground - while the other feels more confident and planted.

When doing the alignment, I asked that he make sure to set toe in to zero to 1/16 instead of the 1/16 - 1/8 called for in the service manual due to the differences between radials & bias, which he did. He had a hard time getting it aligned and ended up using a lot more shim on the upper shafts, maybe 9/16" if I remember right. I do know it looks like a lot under the hood and it's more than the manual allows.

I'm a bit concerned that the rust in the rockers (the rest of the body is rust free) has made the body too flexible. I get a lot of cowl shake with the top down.

Mostly it's much improved, but it does not drive as well as I had hoped.

Any suggestions on remedying these problems?
Old 10-16-2010, 07:55 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

It sounds like your shocks aren't even. One may have worn prematurely. Check for shock oil leaking out. Check the fronts, then check the rear shocks. They work together going around corners and up driveways.

I have has modern struts go bad and they give the same ride as you described.

I wouldn't worry about stacking too many shims. When you get to your limit, readjust the shim packs on your lower "A" arms. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 10-18-2010, 09:07 AM
Experienced

protourbird is on a distinguished road

You didn't say but I would assume that you are using the original springs. Due to different metal "memory" and other factors I would bet that the springs now have different rates from corner to corner. This will contribute to the vehicle rebounding in a circular motion rather that a straight up and down motion. Another contributor would be the bushings in the suspension including the A-Arms and if the car is a 58 or 59 coil spring car the control arms for the rear suspension.

Jim

protourbird
Old 10-18-2010, 09:05 PM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

Shocks are all new gas charged units from Kanter. All bought at the same time and installed with the suspension rebuild.

I did reuse the springs, but each was the appropriate 15.75" height when out of the car. I took that to mean that they were still good. Maybe not, I guess.

All the front suspension bushings were replaced, along with outer tie rod ends, upper & lower ball joints, stabilizer links and bumpers.

I don't think there are any shims on the lower A arms, if I recall correctly.