This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:57 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road
Default Headliner Installation - tips?

hi everyone

I need to install a new headliner in my '58. I have no idea of what kind of trouble I will get into or what the key steps are to make the job successful. Has anyone done this and are you willing to share your experiences?

I know all the upper chrome trim has to come off and that there are about 2 million little staples holding it on in front above the driver. I have no idea how the middle is held up nor do I know about what to expect in terms of insulation.

Mine is original and looks like one loud noise inside the car might bring the whole thing down in a heap of dust.

thanks in advance!

John :)
Old 06-12-2006, 07:04 AM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Headliner Installation - tips?

This best done as a two-person job. One stretches and holds the headliner while the other staples it to the little boards. You better like your coworker, because you need to do this on a warm day. You need to spray the headliner with a little water to help shape it, so it will get hot and steamy in the car.

Each bow in the headliner is unique. They are color coded, though age may have faded the colors. Keep them in the right order.

First get the headliner to fit front to back, staple it down in the middle, and then work on the sides.

At the factory, they used 1/8 wide 1/8 inch long staples. I have not found a source. I used the 3/16 long staples that you can find in a hardware store.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 06-16-2006, 11:22 AM
Experienced

JBird is on a distinguished road

>hi everyone
>
>I need to install a new headliner in my '58. I have no idea
>of what kind of trouble I will get into or what the key
>steps are to make the job successful. Has anyone done this
>and are you willing to share your experiences?
>
>I know all the upper chrome trim has to come off and that
>there are about 2 million little staples holding it on in
>front above the driver. I have no idea how the middle is
>held up nor do I know about what to expect in terms of
>insulation.
>
>Mine is original and looks like one loud noise inside the
>car might bring the whole thing down in a heap of dust.
>
> thanks in advance!
>
> John :)

John I will scan and pdf the instructions and post the link. The bows are COLOR CODED ON THE ENDS and must go in the same place they came out of. The info I have is for a 59 T-Bird but it should help. Give me some time and I'll post the link.

Old 06-16-2006, 11:39 AM
Experienced

http://www.rhyner.com/59jbird/pdf/he...eplacement.pdf

2 pages.
1 Meg
Source FoMoCo 59 T-Bird Shop Manual
Old 06-18-2006, 12:23 PM
Experienced

58tdactyl

YEEE HAAA ! I replaced my headliner on my 58 a few years back. It is very time consuming and frustrating at times like everything else with these cars........but I did it by myself. The main problem you will encounter is the "bows" that hold it in place. First though you need to take the old one out. More than likely (like mine) it will be dry-rotted. Remove all chrome ect........and you may want to inspect the insulation.....since it too will be shot. I ripped all mine out and put in new. A can of spray glue will be a must. I placed my new headliner on a hot concrete surface and as I removed each bow from the car.....I slid it in its new approriate place on the new one. This made it easy to keep track.

***** THIS IS IMPORTANT.........the two back bows are held in their holes by these small cups that insert in the hole itself. They can easily be knocked out and lost. BE CAREFUL not to lose them.

Once you have all the bows threaded in their new homes in the new headliner the fun begins. START AT THE BACK AND MOVE FOWARD.....hooking the bows back in their holes. As you get towards the front......you will have to pull the headliner to make the middle bows "roll" foward. This is the worst part to me.........and will take several attempts since they want to keep popping out. Its like trying to manually pull a convertible top to the windshield. Just be patient........ it can be done.

Once you get it all in place the stapling begins. I started in the middle of the windshield.....and back glass......then over top the door windows in a 4 point configuration.....moving around and alternating. Once its pretty tight work on the corners. ........let it sit in the sun for a few hours.......you will be amazed the material will move and shift. I even had to undo a few places and stretch again. Do not pull too hard or you will rip it. Another tip.........do not trim any excess...(YET) From here on out its a matter of pulling it tight in places here and there until its tight. REMEMBER.......you want it tight as it sits in the sun.......I was amazed and totally proud of myself when I came out that evening to see my "cooled down" headliner as tight as a snare drum.

Once its all done.......you cut away a little of the excess.....but not too much.......leave some in case you have to stretch a little here and there. You can even roll it up and hide it under the chrome trim. ALSO........You will have to cut a small hole for your light..........this is the LAST thing you do once you are completly satisfied with the rest........good luck!!!
Old 06-18-2006, 04:20 PM
John

thanks, everyone!! I appreciate your help!!

John :D
Old 07-15-2006, 01:30 AM
Experienced

danowens3 is on a distinguished road

Has anyone ever run into an issue of the staples not sticking into the tack strip when putting in a new headliner. I am using 1/4" T50 staples and they go into the strip but then just pull right back out. I even tried putting 3 or 4 staples right next to eachother and it did not work. Any suggestion? Thanks, Dan
Old 07-15-2006, 01:54 AM
Experienced

>Has anyone ever run into an issue of the staples not
>sticking into the tack strip when putting in a new
>headliner. I am using 1/4" T50 staples and they go into the
>strip but then just pull right back out. I even tried
>putting 3 or 4 staples right next to eachother and it did
>not work. Any suggestion? Thanks, Dan

If I recall the staples are small and short. Much less than 1/4 inch. I'd bet the 1/4" are going through the strip and hitting the steel back. Don't put too many in one place or it may tear when you tighten it.

I read somewhere there are new strips available but the staples are hard to find. I've pulled my trim and have a new liner but have not installed it yet. I hope to pull my staples and reuse them using a magnetic upolstry tack hammer.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:05 AM
Experienced

ps: compare the original tack length to the 1/4 inchers. If they are shorter, try and grind an entire strip of staples shorter using a bench grinder or if you want to keep your fingers... a Dremel type high speed grinder :-)

I don't think being dulled will matter if you use a staple gun because they only need to go in 1/8 or 3/16 inch into the tack strip.

It could also be the tack strip won't hold the staples because of age. You might call an upolstry shop for advice or special adheasives they may have that dry fast.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:33 PM
John

Hmmm...never occurred to me that stapling would be the hard part of this. I have 1/4" staples like most people but found that 1/8 pretty much dont exist. So I guess I will set up a clamp of some sort and grind a rack of 1/4" down to 1/8.

Any suggestions on how many staples it takes to get the job done on the front and back? It looks like Ford used several thousand :)

john