This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Yellow Rose - A Garage Queen??

I am beginning to wonder if my Rose is not a "garage queen"! I started her up yesterday to take her to the painters to get those "paint blemishes" checked out that she was cited for on her first showing. When I kicked over the starter, I heard a Ca-Ching sound for a few seconds and it went away. I am sitting there behind the wheel wondering, "What the heck was that!?" Since it went away right off the bat, I backed her out of the garage. I turned her off, and went into the house to secure it. When I came back, I started her again. This time it was a lot more than just a Ca-Ching sound going on! There was all kinds of noise and sounds! I am sitting there wondering if my transmission just went out, threw a rod, broke a piston, or if my fan came loose or what! I turned her off, opened the hood, and like anyone who has no knowledge at all about automobiles, stuck my head under the hood and looked for anything that might look wrong. You know, giant python wrapped around the engine or starter, a flood of biblical proportions pouring out of the engine block, or radiator, fan hanging down behind the radiator, etc.. Anything that might give me a clue as to what just happened. Seeing nothing leaking all over the driveway, and not seeing anything looking wrong, I started her again. Same thing! I shut her down fast.

I called for a flatbed wrecker to have her hauled in. Some three-four hours later, after got lost once or twice trying to find my place, I had her at the shop. I explained what happened and their lead mechanic said it sounded like the Bendix output drive shaft did not get out of the way after the engine kicked over. He pulled the cover off the bottom of the fly wheel, shown a flashlight up there and you could see the Bendix still stuck out. You could also see where it was scraping around the flywheel as it turned. After looking things over real well, he said it looks like the flywheel is okay but not the starter.

This was right at closing time. This morning he pulled the starter and sent it to the company they use to rebuild them and other things like fuel pumps. They said the output drive snapped right in two, and it was a fairly new one. I had the starter overhauled last year. They have to order some parts and should have it fixed by Tuesday. So it looks like the only damage that they can see so far, is a broken starter... I hope that was all. Apparently, she likes to be safe in the garage! I hope she gets over that because she is supposed to go to her second show next Saturday! Better to have happened in my driveway, I guess, than on the road.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 09-03-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:28 PM
Experienced

Yellowbird is on a distinguished road

Ray,
Sorry to hear about your problem. Please, please, tell the owner of the shop NOT to let anyone under the age of 40 drive Rose!!!!

Leonard
Old 09-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Experienced

frank58 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowbird View Post
Ray,
Please, please, tell the owner of the shop NOT to let anyone under the age of 40 drive Rose!!!!
Leonard
Amen to that..........

Hey Ray, after all Rose has been through,
a starter is just a minor distraction.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Experienced

LuckyJay is on a distinguished road

Sometimes royalty can be a pain... better a garage Queen than a trailer Queen. Best wishes. Hoping to take Tammi to the Iowa Great Lakes tomorrow.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Fingers crossed that (a) it is easily fixed and (b) does not cost too many $$$!

(And that this time your car is in the same shape you last saw it in when you next see it!!!)
Old 09-03-2010, 08:27 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

You snapped the shaft in two??? Ray, I gotta ask: what kind of battery are you using these days ???
Old 09-03-2010, 08:51 PM
Super-Experienced

Bob M is on a distinguished road

`
Ray
Glad it is just a small repair, The Queen just wanted to let you know who is Boss.

Bob M
59 Bird
72 Charger
Old 09-04-2010, 01:28 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Yellow Rose - A Garage Queen??

Thanks for all the comments! No, I don't think they will let anyone near that car except the owner, and the lead mechanics anymore! Yesterday, when they had to push her into the bay to check her out, they put on rubber gloves or grabbed big towels to put over the paint or chrome before they started pushing her. The shop manager put on rubber gloves to get behind the wheel to steer her in. Of course, she has her work seat covers in place while she is there.

As for the battery, I think it is an Interstate. I really don't remember for sure. It is the battery that we put in her on the way back from Mississippi nearly 3 years ago when the car died on us in western Houston. The battery was not being charged and it ran down and had to be replaced. That battery has not see a lot of use considering that Rose has spent most of those nearly three years in one shop or another being worked on and restored. What is it about a battery that might have caused this? They are going to send the Bendix back just as they found it when they got it to work on. That was a new output drive shaft they put in about a year ago when the starter had to be rebuilt. Hopefully I will get it back in time to go to another car show this next weekend.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 09-04-2010, 06:52 AM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

Just kidding on the battery!!! (the implication being that the battery was so mighty that the sheer torque it exerted snapped your shaft in two)

John
Old 09-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

John thanks for your explanation, as I too was wondering what the type of battery had to do with the Bendix Ray you are correct it's better to have it happen in the driveway than on the open road. I have made a point of always parking our cars on a flat surface, as they DO NOT like starting on an angle especially on an uphill grade.One of many design flaws with the old girls from Ford!!
58HT #33317