This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:30 PM

mit634 is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel Pump Lubrication

Hi Guys,
About a week ago I replaced the mechanical fuel pump on my 430 while out on the road. Just yesterday I removed the replacement pump and noticed that the mechanical arm was still completely oil free, just as when I installed it.

I was just wondering how these pumps are supposed to get lubricated ?

Thanks
Tim
Old 08-01-2010, 12:05 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Tim, every time I change a fuel pump, I cover the moving parts with lots of STP mixed with motor oil. I don't want it like honey, but the oil needs to 'hang-on' until engine oil washes it away.

Some parts get minimal oil from a 'slinger' or just from oil vapors. Timing chains (and gears) are notorious for being oil-starved. That's why they stretch so soon. If the timing chain doesn't get much oil, you can imagine the fuel pump eccentric doesn't either. But, these components tend to last a very long time, so it's hard to argue with success; they must get enough lubrication from somewhere.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-01-2010, 08:53 AM
KULTULZ

The 430 is unique in that the pump is driven by a push rod. The only oil that will come close to the pivot shaft is a little slung from the push rod.

There is a return oil drain that feeds the cam gear and is splashed over the timing set from there. The fuel pump itself needs very little lube as it is a closed unit. The FE fuel pump will be covered in oil due to it's mounting position.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:04 AM

mit634 is on a distinguished road

That's great. Thanks so much for the advice.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Experienced

63-4drpost is on a distinguished road
Smile

I have an electric fuel pump on my 1960 t-bird. I was so anxious to get it started, I drove it with the stock fuel pump mount open, no pump or block-off plate. The front of the engine and left inner fender were covered with oil! If I remember right, the tip of the pushrod is some kind of graffite impregnated material.I din't remember which end rubs against the ecentric, probably the graffite end.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:40 PM
Experienced

63-4drpost is on a distinguished road
Default fuel pump pushrod

the junk smal block chefs use a pushrod for the fuel pump too.